It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:26 am 

This slipped out from under me. Started a new role at work recently and just began launching a new product. It's been a stressful past couple of weeks since the holidays...

Comments:

Deus ex Machina: I feel like this is a more narrow form of hexproof. I would almost always want Karametra's Blessing over it.
Dangerous Knowledge: This is my own card. Designed it to showcase the Story subtype for instants and sorceries as well as the Foreshadow mechanic.
Talentless Hack: This is a little on the nose, but a strong card nonetheless. At the current rate, it would need to be uncommon.
Undertaker's Carriage: I like the literary trope referenced here. A solid common overall.
Ruined Story: This is meant to be the Return to Nature of the format, but it's just too efficient to be common. Destroying a Bard, an important class across certain color pairs, for is too good.
Incite Conflict: The name feels a bit more red than black, but I like the introduction of the Incite mechanic. It remains me of Adventure a bit. The card itself is strong, but balanced.
Inviting Player: This is an odd common, but a solid design overall. I like how the abilities work well together, but the complexity is what makes it feel uncommon.
Trope Virtuoso: It seems like the Bard color pairs are getting Inspired in addition to tribal matters. As simple as this card it, it has a lot of play to it as long as it gets through the first combat.
Spectral Visit: This is certainly not a common and, based on the wording for foreshadow, it doesn't work properly either (but this could be reworked in the rules). I like the concept at a higher rarity!
Poetic Slanderer: My card again. It's another aggressive Bard. This time it cares about casting spells (maybe even Stories?)
Charming Ingenue: The flavor of this card gave me a good laugh. I feel like this could have been simpler (maybe a Lovestruck Beast version).
Mad Immuring: I like the concept, but feel that the implementation needs a little work. Why not make this a Wall creature that exiles another creature until it leaves the battlefield like Fairgrounds Warden instead? It's too narrow otherwise.
Gut Feeling: My design and the last uncommon. It's a classic enabler for the Foreshadow mechanic.
Raiker Venn, Supreme Tragedian: PWs are notoriously hard to evaluate since they are dependent of the format they're in. Judging by creativity alone - I like the use of the set mechanic on the plus ability, but would simplify it to not include X. The Smallpox ability might be too powerful at -2. I'd increase the number of counters to remove or make it a choose one. The ultimate is probably fine, but also a bit easy to achieve when uninterrupted (it requires a lot of mental gymnastics, but it's doable).

Ranks:

Group A: Undertaker's Carriage, Incite Conflict, Trope Virtuoso
Group B: Talentless Hack, Inviting Player, Charming Ingenue, Raiker Venn
Group C: Deus ex Machina, Ruined Story, Spectral Visit, Mad Immuring

Winner:
EpicLevelCommoner with Incite Conflict!
The Revise mechanic is very good while still being different from Foreshadow. I could see Incite Conflict being the top black common for draft and a happy P1P1.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:22 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
May be awhile; still need to get some sleep today.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:35 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Going to pass this time; a close friend went to the hospital this morning, and I'm honestly out of sorts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:20 pm 

I'm sorry to hear that, ELC. I hope everything is alright with your friend.
Take the time you need. In the meantime, I'll move onto the next designer.

Tevish Szat, you're up!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:40 pm 

Plane: Skalos

Set: Empire of Ash

Centuries have passed since the fall of the Great Skalos Empire, but the world is still scarred from its downfall; the descendants of those who survived the apocalyptic war live among ash and ruin. For a long time, the tools of Empire have been buried, but daring reclaimers now seek to unearth them once again. Will they restore their world, or once again cause its downfall?

MAJOR THEMES
Empire of Ash has both Land and Graveyard themes. On the Land side, the focus is on certain sorts of lands. Each color other than green is associated with a sort of land other than its basic: Snow (), Wastes(), Deserts(), and Ruins (new)(). Because of this, the set's basic land slot can be a Snow Basic (weighted towards island but all possible), Wastes, or Snow Wastes. The set also features quite a few nonbasic lands at common and uncommon, mostly Deserts and Ruins. Like Deserts, the Ruins subtype has no mechanical consequence. The standard design of Ruins is to interact with the Graveyard somehow. For green, the color supports all the land themes with general land help and has a minor "Forests matter" theme.

For the Graveyard, the Recover mechanic is returning. There's also room for another new graveyard-centric mechanic. Since Recover fills in the "get things back and use them again" role, this one should be "Uses the graveyard as a resource" similar to Delve though hopefully less busted,

MINOR DESIGN NOTES

Since :b: has a "Wastes matter" theme and wastes produce only colorless, black cards in this set should be sparing with double-black requirements. Because of the graveyard mechanics, self-mill should be considered a positive and exiling cards from graveyards can be a rider or effect at lower rarity than normal (similar to Theros Beyond Death in this regard).

ARCHETYPES AND FACTIONS

The factions of the set are the "Pretender Kingdoms", those political forces in the new world that claim to be the proper heirs of the old empire. They exist in a balanced set of the color pairs, but of course all the pairs should be supported for limited by things like signpost uncommons.

:w::u:: Pretender Kingdom, Boreas Parliament. The northern expanse of the old empire was left more intact than most of the rest in the war, but as the climate cooled sharply in the aftermath, the remaining cities were soon entombed by glacier. The Boreas Parliament claims an unbroken line of government succession from the last regional governors of the Old Empire, and thus the right to imperial authority. Their archaeologists exhume Imperial-era wonders from the ice, giving Boreas an "Artifacts matter" subtheme. There should still be no colored artifacts in this set.

:u::b:: Pretender Kingdom, Teuthid Underground. Teuthids are a new creature type for the set. They're squidfolk (or at least squid-headed folk, resembling D&D's Mind Flayers despite the decision to not type them "Illithid") and have Rogue and Wizard inclinations. The Teuthids don't present a public face, instead lurking in the sewer system and unlivable mires that serve as their breeding ground while attempting to control other civilized people from the shadows. Their subthemes are draw-and-discard card control and "can't be blocked except..." evasion.

:b::r:: Limited Archetype, Sacrifice for Profit.

:r::g:: Pretender Kingdom, Sun Valley. A small but organized kingdom protected by natural barriers and in some ways the "protagonist" faction of the set storyline. Sun Valley has a midrange mechanical theme, not going for super high power creatures but rather an onslaught of 3/x and 4/x offerings. Philosophically, they're strongly independent and function as a Pretender Kingdom to resist the claims and influence of the other factions and retain their independence, something that's in danger thanks to their possession of relatively unspoiled greenery.

:g::w:: Limited Archetype, Life Gain.

:w::b:: Limited Archetype, Doing Bad Things with Bad Lands. White/Black cards will count or use Wastes and Ruins. This is the side biggest on counting these things.

:w::r:: Pretender Kingdom, Kingdom of Taralis. Taralis is a young kingdom, unified from survivor settlements in the ashes of the empire. Rather than claiming rightful inheritance, they claim manifest destiny over the land. Their people are very war-like, placing a huge amount of pride in their victories and conquests. They are prey to Teuthid influence and at a cold war with Boreas. In the mean time, Sun Valley is in their sights as a next conquest.

:u::r:: Limited Archetype, Instants and Sorceries Matter. Likable to use a lot of Recover spells.

:u::g:: Limited Archetype, Ramp into Fat. (Also biggest Snow)

:b::g:: Pretender Kingdom, Cocytus Cult. The Cult is the force of rot and decay, and should be the strongest users of the "graveyard as fuel" mechanic. The Cult claims to have been the force that caused the ruin of the old empire, and their "hallowed" lands are nightmarish wastes of desolation. The goal of the Cocytus Cult is apocalyptic, to "purify" the world by reducing all lands to wastes and killing off all nonbelievers. They see Paradise in genocide and beauty in decay. They prey on all other factions, but their nihilistic nature means they have trouble mustering the forces to challenge the other pretender kingdoms directly. They see the regrowth of Sun Valley's agriculture as an affront and wanted ruined, whether by war with Taralis or their own creeping poisons.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27