It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:53 pm 

Rare

Klefkar of the Pits
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Artificer Pilot (R)
When Klefkar of the Pits enters the battlefield, target Vehicle you control is an artifact creature for as long as Klefkar of the Pits remains on the battlefield.
"No vehicle here's unfixable. Some of my brothers might need a good wrench to the head though."
3/2

Pit as in pit stop get it!?

The ideas of this set are fleshed out enough where I went through like three different fun effects I wanted to put on a rare red card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:00 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Card is solid. I just love the name Klefkar...I want to keep rolling it over....Klefkar....Klefkar. See? It's just fun to say.

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:57 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I never knew how much I wanted Mad Max Kaladesh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:51 pm 

Illegal Modifications: This is a nice late-pick common: it's strong but narrow and the cost is fair for what it actually does. Not super exciting, but very legitimate
Artificial Longtusk - As Rootwalla variants go, this one is easy on the mana but, of course, has its energy requirement. One of the big things about Rootwallas is the threat, though, which means that's not too bad. I also like how this has a color identity without resorting to the copout of colored artifacts
Establish Curfew - Does white still get this kind of artifact hate? I'm not totally sure but I don't have a problem with it. This seems like, in format, it's a vehicle hate card which makes me wonder why it's not called "Impound" or such. Nice card overall though.
Nomadic Reclaimer - I have two problems with this. First, it's an uncommon effect. Second, it's a multicolored card being offered as common rather than uncommon. It's not terrible (the "Signpost uncommon" is a thing and this seems like a decent ":g::w: is control" offer) but it really, really shouldn't be common.
Battle-Ready Suit : This is very much what I envisioned nontoken Scrap looking like. At 6 cost it's not super exciting but it's a colorless common, it's not supposed to be, and I have a feeling that it would see a lot of use in limited despite its high cost, at least if the format isn't blisteringly fast
Neo-Consulate Mail Carrier: There are some good notes to this -- untapping semi-counters if something of yours was Oppressed, and you'll "always" have a target in the form of the crew. The Vehicle stats seem spot on. But it's a white artifact (a thing that's "all the time" as of Eldraine, the debate over whether that should be the case for another time) when the documentation specifically called out vehicles as colorless artifacts, which when I'm looking to pare down a strong field to find a winner, is meaningful
Demolition War Party: This is exactly what I wanted to see out of a Reclaimer card: it's spiteful and destructive with an extra edge against advanced Kaladesh artifice, in this case being able to "wake up" a vehicle to provoke it
Barter Town: I wish it sacrificed a scrap for any color, making it an equivalent to Aether Hub from the first Kaladesh block. But that both wouldn't be common and isn't the card on offer here. What's here makes a perfect lot of sense: using scrap to fix up vehicles. I enjoy this a lot.
Man-Powered Dreadnought: A nice drawback oppress! I was worried we weren't going to see it. The modest crew cost helps make that not too crippling and there isa "reward" in that this basically Craw Wurm is colorless, flying, and comes down before Craw Wurm. It's going to end limited games, but possibly not in its controllers' favor if they aren't careful about the state of the board when they crew it up.
Ornicycle: Interesting. I feel like this could be a constructed card, but possibly not in its own standard -- more in a format that has access to Mox Opal and Memnite to make some really insane plays at 0 cost. It's also a nice way to transform little creatures without a way to get through into some poke later. Dangerous, but the kind of dangerous I'd like to see tried (at least at the level of the FFL, which we don't have)
Pendulum Brawler: I agree that it fits. It's a nice control card since if you have a million mana it's a ton of CA, and it's interesting in a format with a lot of vehicles since a deckbuilding cost (having vehicles it can crew) negates its on-board cost (Sometimes forced to combat and probably die). As a 4/2 for a mere 3 mana, it'll probably trade up as well, or at least on parity.
Klefkar of the Pits: Got the "Pit stop" reference immediately. I do like the idea of a pit mechanic permacrewing a vehicle as well. And the flavor text is on point with the Motor Cult's image as something of a boisterous brotherhood (even if I didn't use that word). My one quibble is that I'm not sure it feels legendary. I think he needs another effect, like bringing a dead vehicle back to hand or such, to really sell up. That said, it is a good card.

So, final grading was hard between basically all the uncommons, Klefkar, Barter Town, and Demolition War Party. In the end, though, Who run Barter Town? Dudibus runs Barter Town... and now he runs this thread! Congrats :party:

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:55 pm 

Aww, had just edited the skyship to be less silly for the world.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:07 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Woohoo! Not sure how easy it's going to be to follow Mad Max Kaladesh.

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:59 pm 

wp dudibus

you just got to hit us with the Mad Max Esper Road

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:25 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Sorry for the wait.

Set: Aztlan
Flavor: An Aztec inspired set, where Gods and Miracles are a part of every day life. Gods that are accustomed to worship and sacrifice to garner their favor as they war with one another. However, the world of Aztlan is in a time of crisis. The Gods of the Underworld have been freed and opened portals to the land of Aztlan, the middle plane of a world of three planes that are bound together. Horrors, Monsters, lost loved ones, undead, all issue from these portals. Their society was destroyed in a matter of weeks. Some of the more powerful gods have escaped to the upper plane, referred to as the Land of the Sky Temples, and taken many of their more obedient worshipers with them, where they now plan and scheme on how to properly fight back against the Underworld. However, many Gods stayed behind, some out of good will, some out of stubbornness, some out of adventure and some for a love of Chaos. They protect and shelter in exchange for worship. Some are rogue Gods with no followers that want revenge or adventure. There are still large areas that are under the protection of the Gods that have not fallen to darkness. It has been only about 7 months since the Underworld surged to take Aztlan as their own.

So there are three main planes of existence: The Underworld, Aztlan and Land of The Sky Temples. The Gods listed below are just the major gods. There are hundreds of lesser gods for anything you can think of. Think of them more like powerful spirits. Gods can be killed through violence, and some age, although very slowly. It is normal for people to interact with them in any manner of ways. But even the least of Gods is something for a mortal to be wary of.

and : The Sky Temples are literally floating cities built in the clouds as a form of protection and refuge to keep the worshipers of the council of gods safe from corruption and attack. There are strict rules that much be followed. To break these rules is banishment to Aztlan (usually by being thrown from the city to the land below.) The Sky Temples are rules by a Council of Gods:

God of the Sky Temples:

Tonatiuh, god of the Sun
Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli, God of Dawn
Coatlicue, Goddess of Fertility, Life, Death and Re-birth
Tezcatlipoca, god of providence, the darkness and the invisible, lord of the night, ruler of the North.
Xipe-Totec, god of force, lord of the seasons and rebirth, ruler of the East.
Quetzalcoatl, god of the life, the light and wisdom, lord of the winds and the day, ruler of the West.
Huitzilopochtli, god of the war, lord of the sun and fire, ruler of the South.

The Council is torn between mounting an offensive against the Underworld or simply letting them have it and keep their people safe.

, with an emphasis on green: Aztlan is a world in flux. Demons, monsters and undead roam freely, apparently without any specific direction, issuing from the portals to ravage the land. There are still many pockets of civilization in the form of walled towns, cities, encampments, nomadic groups, etc that are either struggling to survive or managing to eke out a more stable environment, mostly due to the Gods that have stayed behind instead of running for the current safety of the Sky Temples. Some gods protect, some hunt, some educate and train. But they have not given up the fight against the Underworld. Some feel they must appease the Underworld and have turned to Offerings and Sacrifice to achieve this.

The Gods of Aztlan:

Tlaloc, god of rain and lightning and thunder.
Chalchiuhtlicue, goddess of water
Xiuhtecuhtli, god of fire and time
Chicomecoatl, Goddess of Beasts and Animals
Tlaltecuhtli, old god of earth
Meztli, goddess of moon
Tepeyollotl, god of the animals

and : Millennia in the past, the Underworld was a prison for the Gods that broke the rules. Murder, lust, betrayal, anything the other God believed to be a crime. They were locked away in the Underworld as punishment and punitive measures. Over the years, the gods realized that this same penchant for evil existed in people as well. They began to send these humans to the Underworld as well. The Gods of the Underworld became the rulers and deities to these discarded souls, until eventually they had enough worshipers and followers both in the Underworld and on Aztlan to break through the magics that have bound them and escape their prison world. Some of the Gods are against this war, and try to stay out of way of the others, while some actively seek to aid the people of Aztlan in this time of crisis.

Gods of the Underworld:

Mictlantecuhtli, god of the dead, ruler of the Underworld
Mictecacihuatl, goddess of the dead, ruler of the Underworld
Tlazolteotl, goddess of lust, carnality, sexual misdeeds
Chimalma, goddess of fertility, life, death and rebirth
Piltzintecuhtli, god of the visions

MECHANICS: Offering returns, Exploit returns. Miracle returns at all rarity levels. Gods return at UNCOMMON and higher. Which after thinking about it more likely requires Enchantment creatures to return as well. Bah you people know your stuff. Make it work.

Common #1:

Speaker of the Underworld
Creature - Human Wizard (C)
Exploit
When Speaker of the Underworld exploits a creature, add .
2/1

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:37 pm 

Common #2

Blessings of the Lake
Sorcery
Put a +1/+1 counter on each non-God creature you control. Then, if you control a God, creatures you control gain protection from instants until end of turn.
Chalchiuhtlicue was not the god who guided them to the lake, but it was she who greeted them.

Last edited by Pacific Ninja on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:21 pm 

Common #3

Heart Offering
:r:
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Heart Offering, sacrifice a creature.
Add an amount of :r: equal to the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost. If the sacrificed creature was human, add twice as much :r: instead.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Ritual Blade
Artifact - Equipment (C)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
Whenever a creature is exploited, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature.
Equip

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 pm 

Moonfall -
Instant | C
Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature you control. It deals damage to up to one target creature with flying you don't control.
Metzli rains powerful moon rocks down on Aztlan providing strength to the fallen below.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:05 pm 

Common #6

Destructive Reverence
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+1.
Sacrifice enchanted creature: Add . Spend this mana only to cast a God spell.
"The gods demand flesh. But they are not picky."

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:58 pm 

Offering to Tlaloc
:1::g:
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Offering to Tlaloc, sacrifice X creatures.
Search your library X basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then, shuffle your library.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm 

Westbound Aven -
Creature - Bird Warrior | C
Flying
When Westbound Aven enters the battlefield, you gain life equal to the number of +1/+1 counters among creatures you control.
We are made in likeness of Quetzalcoatl. We shall follow in the path of his feathers.
2/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:40 pm 

Common #9

Appeaser of Piltzintecuhtli
:1::u::u:
Creature - Spirit {C}
Flying, Creature Offering, Exploit
When a creature is offered to cast Appeaser of Piltzintecuhtli or Appeaser of Piltzintecuhtli exploits a creature, draw a card.
2/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:39 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Common #10:

Dark Gift
Sorcery (C)
Exile target creature. If it is a God, destroy it instead.
Miracle
Mictlantecuhtli was generous with his power, but still wise.

Cato

Last edited by Dudibus on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:27 pm 

Tlazolteotl's Chosen
:2::r::r:
Creature - Human Rogue {U}
Exploit, Haste
When Tlazolteotl's Chosen exploits a creature, put a +1/+1 counters on it.
When Tlazolteotl's Chosen attacks, if it has a +1/+1 counter on it, it deals damage equal its power to the attacked player or Planeswalker
Lust burns hotter than fire.
3/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:38 pm 

Uncommon #2

Banish to Atzlan -
Instant | U
Return target creature to its owner's hand. If Banish to Atzlan was cast for its miracle cost, draw a card.
Miracle
For your wrongs, your time among the gods has ended.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:31 am 

Uncommon #3

Sinner's Return
Sorcery (U)
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. If that creature is sacrificed this turn, return it to the battlefield.
With the Underworld unbarred, its prisoners had nowhere to go but Aztlan.

unsure if it needs to be 'sacrificed for the first time this turn' to avoid ambiguity/to make it work properly

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next