It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:33 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

So in the YMtC rarity game the next spot was for an hybrid uncommon, preferably red green. I posted this card:

Domri's Guildmage

Creature -- Human Shaman
2/2
: Target creature gains trample until end of turn.
: Target creature gets +4/+2 until end of turn.

The idea mostly popped up unprompted: uncommon hybrid and my mind immediately went to original Ravnica's guildmages. It always disappointed me that the Ravnica returns had gold guildmages, because I always thought the original ones were so iconic. So I wanted to make an hybrid one again, and had to thought of a pattern for them to fit. That came surprisingly quickly.

Original Ravnica had "[Guild] Guildmage, (A/B)(A/B), one ability that cost A and one that cost B.
Return to Ravnica had "[Guildhall] Guildmage, AB, two abilities each costing AB.
Guilds of Ravnica has "[Guild Title] Guildmage, AB, one tap ability that costs A and one tap ability that costs B."

So, assuming I wanted an hybrid, I went for the pattern: "[Guildleader's] Guildmage, (A/B)(A/B), one ability that costs (A/B) and one that costs AB."

Here are some others I made with this model:

Lazav's Guildmage

Creature -- Human Wizard
2/2
: Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.
: Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. Tap that creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

Obzedat's Guildmage

Creature -- Human Wizard
2/2
: Create a 1/1 white and black Thrull creature token with lifelink.
: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn. Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1 until end of turn.

Ral's Guildmage

Creature -- Human Wizard
2/2
: Discard your hand, then draw a card.
: Ral's Guildmage deals damage to target player or planeswalker equal to the number of instant or sorcery cards in your graveyard.

I wonder how many sets one can do in Ravnica before exhausting possible Guildmage templates.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:49 pm 

It's cool that these can be played and activated in mono color decks like the originals. There are 6 ways of dividing up the color wheel into 5-guild-chains and we've used two already, so they can potentially create four new guildmage cycles without repeating the division of guilds

Another option could be costs hybrid and both abilities cost hybrid, although then there's no reward for being in the full guild. Or they could make the original guildmages but the abilities also tap.

But actually it looks like we are going to run out of names for them before designs

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:34 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Emmara's Guildmage
Creature-Human Wizard (U)
Target creature with base power and toughness 1/1 gets +1/+1 until end of turn
Until end of turn, whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
2/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:51 pm 
YMtC Champ '15
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

These are cool, but holy hell would it be a nightmare to play againt Lazav's Guildmage in Limited.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Thinking similar things to Libe for Obzedat's Guildmage.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
one thing that I think is crucial to good guildmages is that they two abilities, while potentially related, felt like they worked on different axes. they didn't just have one ability that was bigger than the other. there's some exceptions to that, probably most notably vitu-ghazi guildmage, but that felt like a mistake to me. (dimir guildmage and izzet guildmage are a different thing, and I'm ok with them.) this doesn't condemn the model or anything, but things like Lazav's Guildmage I think miss the mark. anyway here's some musings on your final question:

iterating possible guildmage models

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:30 pm 

I like spellshapers. These give each color the opportunity to make one of its cards do something its color doesn't do.

Selesnya Taskmage
Creature - Elf Wizard
, :t:, Discard a green card: Destroy target creature that dealt damage this turn.
, :t:, Discard a white card: Until end of turn, target creature gets +1/+1 for each creature you control and gains trample.
"Sometimes, mercy must grow some teeth."
2/2

Dimir Taskmage
Creature - Spirit Wizard
, :t:, Discard a black card: Return target creature you don't control and target creature you control to their owners' hands.
, :t:, Discard a blue card: Destroy target creature with converted mana cost X.
"To disappear can be a boon or threat."
2/2

Like this post