It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:02 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fifth season of Pro Tour: You Make the Card! This is your annual opportunity to put your fantasy fantasy card design skills to the test for a chance at internet immortality. Over the next several months, this competition will push you to be the best designer you can be to see which of you can join the ranks of YMTC legends.

Logistics

Finalists

Pairings

Finals Criteria

Commander (aka Elder Dragon Highlander) has become one of the most popular formats available in Magic: the Gathering. As a singleton format that caters to multiplayer games, it provides highly varied and social gameplay experiences that resonate with many players. At the same time, some consistency is guaranteed since players will have access throughout the game to a single legendary creature (or, in some cases, planeswalker) card that can provide a basis for building a theme.

One of the most exciting times of the year for Commander players is the spoiler season for the annual Commander product. The most recent paradigm for this product has been four preconstructed decks with varied color identities, including three new commander options for that color identity. These decks sometimes include an additional new legendary creature, several important reprints, and entirely new designs capable of shaking up eternal formats. The product also provides an opportunity to visit planes and mechanics that Wizards has little incentive to revisit in the near future, such as Kamigawa or Storm.

Your task for this round is to design a total of six cards for two preconstructed Commander decks. Your submission should include the following:

You have until Saturday, 12/1 at 23:59 Central to complete your submissions. At that point, I post a separate thread with a recap of the contest and your submissions, where the community will vote to determine the winner of Pro Tour YMTC 5! :crown:

Congratulations to both of you for reaching the finals, and good luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:38 am 

Identity: Male
Whoo Commander!

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:56 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
:clap: May the best Libe win! :clap:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:04 pm 

What will the designers do with their Libes on the line? Olah one can triumph!

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:46 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Bump.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Looking at the criteria again, I feel like I implied a couple things that didn't end getting communicated well.

1. The two decks should be printed in the same release. Keep this in mind when selecting color identities.
2. The third criteria implies that these commanders are flagship commanders. They don't really print attributed spells for commanders that aren't the one on the box.

If these clarifications significantly impact your submission and you need more time, let me know.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:28 pm 

Dimir Deck

Gix, the Reshaper
Legendary Creature - Praetor (M)
Whenever another nontoken creature you control dies you may exile it. If you do, create a token that’s a copy of it except it’s a Horror in addition to its other types.
Creature tokens you control have menace.
A deal with Gix lasts beyond the grave.
5/5

Gix's Experimentation
Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature.
Create two tokens that are copies of the sacrificed creature, except they're Horrors in addition to their other types.
"You contain so many redundant and useless parts... Let's find a way to put them all to good use."

False Life
Sorcery (R)
The next creature spell you cast this turn may be cast as though it had evoke .
Some of the worlds greatest shifts happen in the smallest moments.

Selesnya Deck

Asperos, the Bestower
Legendary Creature - Elemental Avatar (M)
Creatures you control with +1/+1 counters on them have lifelink and trample.
When Asperos enters the battlefield put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Evoke (You may cast this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)
Casting this card for its evoke cost does not count towards commander tax.
4/4

Asperos's Influence
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever you gain 5 or more life, you may draw a card.
The ground glowed around the charging beasts' hooves, filling them with purpose.

Command Tether
Artifact (U)
: Add one mana of any color in your commander's color identity.
, Exile Command Tether: The next time your commander is put into a graveyard from the battlefield this turn, return it to the battlefield under your control.
A wisp as thin as a hair, yet strong enough to anchor a soul.

Last edited by OlahZep on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:31 pm 
YMtC Champ '15
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

For the existing character, does it have to be a character that was actually featured in a novel/short story, or can it be a character that has only appeared through flavor text?

Also, can I request an extension through Sunday? I've had quite a busy week and I can't imagine having much free time Saturday either.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:59 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Flavor text is fine.

Sunday it is!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:32 pm 
YMtC Champ '15
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Machine Mastery ()
There is a tool for every situation, and they'll all be at your fingerprints with the Machine Mastery deck. This artifact-centered deck features the commanders Crucius, Perfection Seeker, The Clockwork Magistrate, and Kelex the Collector. It also introduces the Reshape mechanic.

Cards

Tactical Superiority ()
A general knows that battles are won and lost before the first soldier steps foot onto a battlefield. The Tactical Superiority deck is helmed by three new commanders: Brynjar, the Cloistered King, General Mizali, and Galanda Feudkiller. It introduces the Backup mechanic (which is not featured among these preview cards).

Cards

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Looks like we've got full submissions up from both of you, but I'm dead tired and won't be able to provide the exciting finish this contest deserves. I'll aim to close this up tomorrow night after I've had a chance to sleep. Feel free to continue to make changes until then.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:04 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

The finals are now closed! I'll begin preparing the final voting thread.

Like this post