Squaring The Circle 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Angel of Angles 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 40
Total voters : 17
 Post subject: Nov 19 - 25, 2018
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:23 pm 

Identity: Male
Last Week's Winner

Tevish learned the true nature of this world last weak. There are two types of people- people Szat are strong and those that are prey.
Spoiler

The Contenders

Flopfoot wrote:
Terramorphic
Land
:t:, Sacrifice ~: Put an oversized basic land card of your choice onto the battlefield tapped.
This card was supposed to go up last week, but missed its shot.

neru wrote:
Compass Rose
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for four land cards, reveal them, and shuffle your library. Put one of those cards on top of your library, one onto the battlefield, one in your hand, and one in your graveyard.

High Gear
Instant (U)
You may kick the next spell you cast with kicker this turn without paying its kicker cost.
Cycling
As the cogs in his mind spun, Jeffro couldn't tell if his ideas were inspiration or a by-product of the malija root the rowdy folks were smoking upwind.

neru wrote:
Disinherited Cephalid
Creature — Cephalid Wizard
Whenever Disinherited Cephalid becomes the target of a spell or ability, put the top three cards on your library into your graveyard. If a historic card is put into your graveyard this way, you may counter that spell or ability.
"Our empire is no more but the seas of Otaria and the libraries of Aboshan are still ours."
3/3

neru wrote:
Mardu Banner
Artifact — Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
:t:: Add :w:, :r:, or :b:. Activate this ability only if Mardu Banner is attached to a creature.
Equip

Wrath of Brambles
Sorcery (R)
Choose one:
  • Destroy all creatures
  • Destroy target noncreature permanent

razorborne wrote:
Squaring The Circle-
Instant
Replace target creature's toughness with its power until end of turn. (Use the value of its power for both characteristics.)
Draw a card.
In the halls of the Cubic Hierarchy, there is no room for imperfection.

Libe wrote:
Angel of Angles

Creature -- Angel (M)
Flying, vigilance
Quantify — : Exile target creature with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of different numbers among the power and toughness of creatures you control.
Law is made up of straight lines and harsh angles; a concept the beings of Meothos embraced readily.
4/4

The Rules

How To Nominate:
Quote the post with the card you want to nominate. Delete everything in that post other than the card. Copy and paste your quote into a post on this thread.
If you did it right the quote tag should link to the original post.

What's Eligible?
Any fan-designed M:TG card posted since the most recent CotW thread went live is eligible. It doesn't even have to be the first time the card was posted. Yes, Un cards are valid. No, Yugioh cards are not.

What's Not Eligible?
  • Nominating your own cards. You can only nominate cards by other people
  • Nominating a card from your own repost, regardless of whether or not the original post was yours.
  • Nominations that result from collusion. If a nomination is made in exchange for some sort of favour, or under some sort of threat, then the nomination is void.
  • Cards that have already won CotW are not eligible for future CotWs.
  • Nominations that I consider to be jokes or trolling.

A Note On Contests:
Many contest holders feel that having an entrant nominated for CotW will skew the results of their contest. To prevent this while still allowing those cards their chance at nomination, any card submitted to a contest is eligible for nomination to CotW as though the date the contest (or pertinent round of the contest) ended was the date the card was posted.

Past Winners

----

----

----

----

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Last edited by TPmanW on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Nov 19 - 25, 2018
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:01 am 

Missing type and mana cost on Disinherited Cephalid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 am 

:fixed:
I'm not even 100% sure how I managed to do that. I initially pasted another nomination inside that one and I guess I didn't do a great job cleaning it up.

Edit- and now last week's winner is up. And I really outdid myself with the congratulations text.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Libe wrote:
Phantom of the Feast

Creature -- Boar Spirit (U)
When Phantom of the Feast dies, you gain life equal to its toughness.
Sacrifice another creature: Phantom of the Feast gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
The boar was set to be the main course in a nobleman's feast. It decided to crash the party instead.
3/3

I just really like the way this interacts with board wipes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 am 

Good stuff this week. And the voting public's tastes line up fairly well with mine so far. But to expect them to square the circle would be impossible, and that Cephalid could stand to get cut off.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:56 am 

I'm torn on Compass Rose. On one hand, it's pretty darn cool, on the other hand, the lack of "basic" makes it feel a little... Scapeshift-y. It's not quite as explosive but anything that can grab Urborg+Coffers in one go is kind of frightening. I also kind of wish, if it wasn't going to require basic, it would have "with different names" to be a little more on point with theme

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:11 am 

Good points all.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:46 am 

Autumn Concordant
Creature — Dryad Warrior (U)
3/2
Affinity for colors (This spell costs less to cast for each color among permanents you control.)
Haste, trample
When Auburn Concordant enters the battlefield, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of colors among permanents you control.
"As summer gives way to autumn, our leaves show forth the fire that lights our souls."

Eph wrote:
Gates of Janus -
Legendary Artifact
Skip your next combat phase, :t:: Put a season counter on Gates of Janus. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.
Remove three season counters from Gates of Janus, :t:: Untap all creatures you control. After this main phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
If you desire a springtime of peace, prepare for a winter of war.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:07 am 

Mentor of Shapeshifting
Creature - Shapeshifter (R)
Exalted
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, you may have it become a copy of an another creature you control until the end of turn.
1/4

neru wrote:
Sigil-Scale Wurm
Creature — Wurm
Exalted
At the beginning of your end step, put a number of +1/+1 counters on Sigil-Scale Wurm equal to the number of times it was exalted this turn. (If this attacked and got +4/+4 from exalted triggers this turn, put four +1/+1 counters on it.)
"We do not worship these behemoths for merely living but we honor their deeds and virtues." — Rafiq
4/4

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:34 am 

Identity: ichthyophile
BelangiaJo wrote:
Tidal Patterns -
Enchantment | R
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose one -
  • Put an ebb counter on Tidal Patterns.
  • Remove all ebb counters from Tidal Patterns and put a flow counter on it. Draw a card for each ebb counter removed this way, then discard a card for each flow counter on Tidal Patterns.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:07 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Eph wrote:
Ecological Struggle -
Enchantment
Basic lands are 3/3 green Beast creatures that are still lands.
Nonbasic lands are 1/1 colorless Insect creatures with deathtouch that are still lands.
When there are no basic lands or no nonbasic lands on the battlefield, sacrifice Ecological Struggle.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:46 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Dudibus wrote:
Eph wrote:
Ecological Struggle -
Enchantment
Nonbasic lands are 1/1 colorless Insect creatures with deathtouch that are still lands.
When there are no basic lands or no nonbasic lands on the battlefield, sacrifice Ecological Struggle.

In response to this, I play Wrath of Brambles. Or I run this and Wrath of Brambles.

As such, not sure why this is white. And deathtouch...I can see bending deathtouch into red but not white.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:14 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I agree it has a few mechanical issues, but I just love the flavor. Plus the mechanic of basic lands vs. nonbasic in a new, interesting way.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:42 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Dudibus wrote:
Eph wrote:
Ecological Struggle -
Enchantment

In response to this, I play Wrath of Brambles. Or I run this and Wrath of Brambles.

As such, not sure why this is white. And deathtouch...I can see bending deathtouch into red but not white.

deathtouch is green

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Voted for High Gear and Disinherited Cephalid, my favorite concepts. I'd just reword High Gear slightly (to avoide infinite multikickers) and I think Cephalid could be bigger -- 4/4 or even 5/5 -- to increase the tension when you're revealing cards from the top.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:21 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
LilyStorm wrote:

Yes...it...is...
Everything in Ecological Struggle (flavor or mechanics) can be done in green without splashing any other colors. Green is the ecology color, the man-landing color, and a color that gets land destruction from time to time. And if you want it to be three colors, the colors should be BRG, because black is a) better at deathtouch than white, and b) better at land destruction (which Ecological Struggle is to a consequential extent) than white.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:47 am 

3 lines of text = 3 colors? But then it cares about a balance of two types of lands, so bicolor would bring the struggle aspect to the fore. Or just leave it in green. I dunno. The effect is cool though.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:34 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: she/her/hers
Everything in Ecological Struggle (flavor or mechanics) can be done in green without splashing any other colors.

It's from a game thread round that required a card.
Three-color things are inherently tricky to make, so I went with the "pick the central color as the core and add some top-down weirdness" approach.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:24 am 

> 5 of 8 cards are within one vote of each other
This has been a surprisingly even running this week.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:02 pm 

Flopfoot wrote:
Quest for the Lucky Charm - :r:
Enchantment
Whenever you flip a coin, put a quest counter on ~.
As long as ~ has five or more quest counters on it, you choose the result of all coin flips.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post