It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which contestant should make it to the semifinals?
ParadOxymoron 90%  90%  [ 18 ]
EpicLevelCommoner 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20
Total voters : 20
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fifth season of Pro Tour: You Make the Card! This is your annual opportunity to put your fantasy fantasy card design skills to the test for a chance at internet immortality. Over the next several months, this competition will push you to be the best designer you can be to see which of you can join the ranks of YMTC legends.

Logistics

Quarterfinalists

Pairings

Quarterfinals Criteria

ParadOxymoron's Submission

EpicLevelCommoner's Submission

Please vote for the contestant you feel deserves to proceed to the semifinals based on their submission this round. The poll will remain open until Sunday, November 11. I will be reserving my vote for tie-breaking purposes. Best of luck, ParadOxymoron and EpicLevelCommoner!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:04 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
legendary lands

cycle lands

conclusion

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:50 pm 

ParadOxymoron:
Feels like there's too much going on with the legendary land, but I like the idea of bringing back Revolt and using it to activate a set of lands. Is exiling the board something we want a land to do? I don't know the answer; maybe! It's a set of hoops to jump through for sure, and it's not like your opponent won't see it coming, so I'm cautiously thinking it'd be fine.

I like Primrose Garden. Sac a creature, and the card replaces itself and is available right away. Don't sac a creature, you wait a turn. Sac'ing a creature feels like a good cost to pay for this effect. However, I'm a little sad that you didn't create any new mechanics; only used existing ones.

EpicLevelCommander:
Treasure set! I don't quite get why the Gilded Road enters the battlefield tapped. Without a mana ability, the card will just be pumping out treasures. The treasures themselves enter the battlefield tapped, so you have to wait two turns for this land to start making any mana for you. Granted, once set in motion, the ability to stock up on mana and permanents is a very useful one, so this can also become quite powerful, quite quickly. I like the feel that the road needs to be developed a bit before it's of any use.

I don't like the Temple card; feels too strong. In a treasure set, this isn't entering tapped a whole lot of the time, and the card does a sickeningly good job of fixing all your mana. This card, by itself, allows you to cast any 2-mana card in the game on turn 2. Turn 1; enters tapped. Next turn, you return it to hand to create a treasure, then play it untapped, then return to hand again to get another treasure. Sac both treasures, and you have 2 mana of any color. Yes, you'll have no lands, but the thing is this ability can be differed to any point in the game. That really a crazy amount of mana-fixing.

Vote: ParadOxymoron

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:57 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Not quite sold on the treasure theme. The legendary land is interesting, but should probably tap to make tokens instead so you don't get free mana off Urborg. The uncommon land is mostly just weird to me, it doesn't feel compelling to use (except in my Mina and Denn edh deck).

Parad's lands are individually interesting. A bit miffed that they both use returning mechanics in the same set, although they work well together, and I'm pretty skeptical about Garden being part of a cycle. The sum of them edge out a win though.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:26 pm 

I like how Relzicore is a specific colored land. I think most of the legendary lands either make any color or colorless. But the rest of it is just...eh to me. THe Revolt ability just seems...too over the top to me. The Gilded Road is...something I'd use. I'd actually totally throw it in my monoblack EDH as it acts kinda like a storage land that can also tap for that one more mana with Urborg as mentioned above. I also like the name, though I can't help but see an Oz reference that likely isn't there. So ELC gets this one.

Primrose Garden appeals to me on a personal level. Just...it's basically cheating using Exploit. Though that flavor text feels very longer than needed. Temple to the Great Ones is a think but nothing amazing. I don't really see the appeal except in decks that abuse lands. It's not awful but I prefer Primrose. So point to Parad.

Oh one point each and both side barely a win...this is actually hard...but I'm gonna go Parad as I think Parad's cards are just a bit neater. Sprry ELC.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:58 pm 

Identity: Male
I think Razor called it.
ELC has the cooler legend.
Parad has the better cycle card.
Parad narrowly wins the vote of nearly everybody.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:32 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Yeah ... I am going to go ahead and concede. Best of luck Parad; if you sweep the semifinals and finals, I can at least say I lost to the 2018 Pro Tour Champ ^_^

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:13 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Well, that's it, I guess. ParadOxymoron is our first semifinalist!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:03 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

I know the round is over, but here are some comments anyway.

I'm not really happy with either to be honest. I think both have too much stuff going on.

Parad's legendary land tells a nice story; though honestly it has too much going on there mechanically. It taps for colorless, but becomes a triland if you lost life, and it gets some huge ability once you get revolt turned on. I'd probably drop the triland mana ability.

Parad's cycle land is my favorite of the pairing, being evocative and mechanically interesting, while giving you something to do later in the game. There is a lot of things to pay attention to, but they are all connected and quickly ignored once you finish playing the card.

ELC's legendary is nice, clean and has justification for being legendary, both flavor and mechanics-wise. Why does it enter tapped though, if itself doesn't tap for mana? Both this and Parad's cycle land are cards I actually want to play with.

ELC's cycle land is probably too adherent to the theme of whatever set it appears in. Would make the condition being an artifact instead of a Treasure. I like that it provides an "out" for mana screw, though I think this can be a little too efficient in that respect. I can see a deck - even a monocolored one - playing off-color duals to justify running less lands, and not sure if that is an effect I want.

Like this post