It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:38 pm 

LilyStorm wrote:
Mown wrote:
LilyStorm wrote:
March is not a month i remember. This is gonna be hard

Just make a lion.

If i want to make a dumb pun I'll do some sort of literal march.

I got April, so I should be making a lie then?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:14 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Spoiler

Springbringer
Creature - Elemental
When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, then put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
Evoke
2/2

March is the time of the vern equinox, the start of spring.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Last edited by LilyStorm on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:26 am 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
August is the last month of summer, so I figured I would make a card that depicted summer ending.

Lofty Ancient
Creature - Treefolk (R)
Reach, Vanishing 2
Whenever you play a land, put a time counter on Lofty Ancient.
The mighty oak stretches its branches in summer, reaching ever skyward. But in its hubris, it never expected the fall.
5/5

The few cards that reference summer in Magic mostly care about lands and mana. With this card you can stall for time by playing lands, but eventually you'll run out of summertime and your creature will die. I had a bit of fun with double meanings here, as lofty means both tall (trees are tall, get it???) and arrogant (referencing the flavor text), and the word fall in the flavor text can be interpreted to mean both literally falling, or the fall season.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:31 pm 

While I see quite a number of guys taking inspiration from the seasons, I can't really do that. I live at a place near the equator, no seasons for me.

April -> April Fool's Day -> Fool's Gold???

Dubious Mine -
Artifact
: Put a Dig counter on ~.
, , Remove X Dig counters from ~: Create X colorless artifact tokens named 'Fool's Gold'.
Even when everyone else was certain it wasn't gold, he continued digging for nothing.

Last edited by Confused on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:39 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
what's the deadline here?

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:16 pm 

Let’s say Sun, Nov 18th 5PM in Taipei Standard Time (GMT+8)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

June is Pride Month, Pride Month celebrates Stonewall, Stonewall was a riot

Moment Of Liberation-
Instant
Gain control of all nontoken permanents you own. Untap all permanents that changed controllers this way.
"Tonight, we rise!"~Mariash, Dissident

the untap is for surprise blocks, to make up for the lack of cycling that brand has. the "nontoken" is standard on more recent brand effects. (see brooding saurian.) because ownership of tokens is a bit rules-confusing and can be exploited.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:36 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: she/her/hers
Gates of Janus -
Legendary Artifact
Skip your next combat phase, :t:: Put a season counter on Gates of Janus. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.
Remove three season counters from Gates of Janus, :t:: Untap all creatures you control. After this main phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
If you desire a springtime of peace, prepare for a winter of war.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:49 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Spring Showers
Enchantment (R)
When Spring Showers enters the battlefield, search your library for two basic land cards, reveal them and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
When you control five or more lands, sacrifice Spring Showers and return it to the battlefield transformed.
\\\\\\\
May Flowers
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a player taps a land for mana, that player adds , or .

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:14 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
February is the last winter month, among other things.

Ice-Bound Colossus
Creature — Giant
~ enters the battlefield tapped with four ice counters on it.
If ~ would be untapped while it has an ice counter on it, remove an ice counter from it instead. When you do, draw a card.
Time uncovers long buried mysteries, along with their practical applications.
6/6

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:11 am 

Identity: Unqualified
December's the end of the year, but not the end of winter. At least where I live. Unfortunately.

Winter's Grasp
Enchantment
If a creature would become untapped during its controller's untap step, destroy it instead. At the beginning of each opponent's end step, if less than two creatures were destroyed this way, sacrifice ~.
"If you think this blizzard's the worst of it, I'll miss you."

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:47 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

BelangiaJo wrote:
Let’s say Sun, Nov 18th 5PM in Taipei Standard Time (GMT+8)

this time has passed

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:36 am 

YingLung wrote:
When you think of July, you can think of any number of things, unless you are American. Then you can only think of Freedom, Explosions, and Patriotism. In all seriousness, while American patriotism is something of a meme, that sort of unifying group identity can be very powerful.

Banner of a Nation :5:
Artifact
Whenever you cast a spell that shares a color with your commander's color identity, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever you cast a spell that has all the same colors as your commander's color identity for the first time each turn, untap all creatures you control. If it is your turn, after this phase there is an additional combat phase.

Alright. Not a fan on Commander-only cards unless they're in supplemental sets and supplemental sets are always hard to evaluate. This interestingly encourages mono-colored Commander decks.

Yarium wrote:
Remember remember the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I can think of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

Explosive Liberation |
Instant | (U)
Destroy target creature that can't attack or block, or that is controlled by a player other than its owner. That creature deals damage to any target equal to its power.

(Yeah, this is the most November-ish thing I can think of outside US elections.)

Good. This card operates in the fringes. In some ways, this matches Fling. Though, there are some cards like Goblin Heelcutter that could be used to make this card more powerful.

In the northern hemisphere, September is the beginning of fall. One of the most beautiful aspects of the fall season is the changing of the colors. The green on trees is replaced with a plethora of different colors, including red, orange, yellow, and brown.

In contemplating how to depict fall in Magic, it occurred to me just how many colors there are to see during the autumn compared to the summer. What if autumn themed cards cared about the number of colors you're playing? This thought led me to Auburn Concordant:

Autumn Concordant
Creature — Dryad Warrior (U)
3/2
Affinity for colors (This spell costs less to cast for each color among permanents you control.)
Haste, trample
When Auburn Concordant enters the battlefield, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of colors among permanents you control.
"As summer gives way to autumn, our leaves show forth the fire that lights our souls."

Disregard

Great. I like the combination of abilities. It can be quite powerful with the proper setup. Even in a red green deck, you could cast it as a 5/2 with trample and haste on T3. Pretty big fan.

Well, according to wikipedia October is the last month in which wine is usually harvested, so I think I'm making something loosely tied to alcool, now I need to think of the card.*

Folk festival :r::r:
Sorcery
Tap all creatures you control, for each creature tapped this way create a colorless Treasure artifact token with ":t:, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."
Even the guards take part in the days long autumn feast, thankfully the neighboring nations join too

*This might or might not be the exact reason that makes me think my card represents October.

Alright. It's a bit weird mechanically. Not sure what the treasures represent. Also, would've done the tapping as an additional cost.

LilyStorm wrote:
Spoiler

Springbringer
Creature - Elemental
When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, then put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
Evoke
2/2

March is the time of the vern equinox, the start of spring.

Great. The name is a little on the nose, but the use of evoke is nice. This card does a good job of being good evoked or hardcast.

Silly wrote:
August is the last month of summer, so I figured I would make a card that depicted summer ending.

Lofty Ancient
Creature - Treefolk (R)
Reach, Vanishing 2
Whenever you play a land, put a time counter on Lofty Ancient.
The mighty oak stretches its branches in summer, reaching ever skyward. But in its hubris, it never expected the fall.
5/5

The few cards that reference summer in Magic mostly care about lands and mana. With this card you can stall for time by playing lands, but eventually you'll run out of summertime and your creature will die. I had a bit of fun with double meanings here, as lofty means both tall (trees are tall, get it???) and arrogant (referencing the flavor text), and the word fall in the flavor text can be interpreted to mean both literally falling, or the fall season.

Good. I like the choice of "play a land" rather than the landfall wording. The card might be too powerful in the best case scenario, but also might be too feels bad in the worst case scenario. Overall, love the flavor.

Confused wrote:
While I see quite a number of guys taking inspiration from the seasons, I can't really do that. I live at a place near the equator, no seasons for me.

April -> April Fool's Day -> Fool's Gold???

Dubious Mine -
Artifact
: Put a Dig counter on ~.
, , Remove X Dig counters from ~: Create X colorless artifact tokens named 'Fool's Gold'.
Even when everyone else was certain it wasn't gold, he continued digging for nothing.

Alright. I try to avoid creating tokens that have no other value. Also, the interaction between the top and bottom abilities could be tweaked so the X is more meaningful.

razorborne wrote:
June is Pride Month, Pride Month celebrates Stonewall, Stonewall was a riot

Moment Of Liberation-
Instant
Gain control of all nontoken permanents you own. Untap all permanents that changed controllers this way.
"Tonight, we rise!"~Mariash, Dissident

the untap is for surprise blocks, to make up for the lack of cycling that brand has. the "nontoken" is standard on more recent brand effects. (see brooding saurian.) because ownership of tokens is a bit rules-confusing and can be exploited.

Alright. This card is very situational. The "changed controllers this way" clause reads a little weird. Love that you chose to represent Pride with June. (there's not a rainbow emoji, or I would have spammed it here.)

Eph wrote:
Gates of Janus -
Legendary Artifact
Skip your next combat phase, :t:: Put a season counter on Gates of Janus. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.
Remove three season counters from Gates of Janus, :t:: Untap all creatures you control. After this main phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
If you desire a springtime of peace, prepare for a winter of war.

Great. I like that you depicted the God of War & Peace. Stockpiling your combat phases for a single whammy of a turn seems like a lot of fun for a combo deck.

Dudibus wrote:
Spring Showers
Enchantment (R)
When Spring Showers enters the battlefield, search your library for two basic land cards, reveal them and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
When you control five or more lands, sacrifice Spring Showers and return it to the battlefield transformed.
\\\\\\\
May Flowers
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a player taps a land for mana, that player adds , or .

Good. I like this design - it has the feeling of spring. My only concern is how powerful it can be. The first side is missing an "up to" when searching for two basic land cards. Also, like the colors you chose to represent flowers.

Mown wrote:
February is the last winter month, among other things.

Ice-Bound Colossus
Creature — Giant
~ enters the battlefield tapped with four ice counters on it.
If ~ would be untapped while it has an ice counter on it, remove an ice counter from it instead. When you do, draw a card.
Time uncovers long buried mysteries, along with their practical applications.
6/6

Good. Like many of the cards this round, I enjoy this design, but feel it's too powerful as it is. While I believe it's wrong to view this design as a 6/6 that draws 4 cards for 4 mana, it could basically be that in the right control build. Reminds me of a stronger, but slower Thing in the Ice.

Malikot wrote:
December's the end of the year, but not the end of winter. At least where I live. Unfortunately.

Winter's Grasp
Enchantment
If a creature would become untapped during its controller's untap step, destroy it instead. At the beginning of each opponent's end step, if less than two creatures were destroyed this way, sacrifice ~.
"If you think this blizzard's the worst of it, I'll miss you."

Good. I like this design. It's strong, but impacts all players (including yourself). It could easily function as a one-sided Wrath, so it may be a little too strong. I like it in a control build, where destroying your own creatures won't be an issue. Also, could probably be white (extra synergy with vigilance and since it impacts all players, you could swing it over black).

The following eleven card designers are safe and will continue competing to be YMtC's Next Top Card Designer.
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 am 

The treasures were meant to represent my forgetfulness about gold tokens existing.
Not sold on the tap as a cost part, feels too much of a gotcha moment if the spell gets countered.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:26 pm 

Hello world you're a good designer so I'm glad to see you go so my chances are increased >:3

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:46 pm 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
technically doesnt anybody that isnt you getting eliminated increase your chances of winning the contest

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:39 pm 

Yes

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:29 am 

Wanna be on top?

Na Na Na Na Na Na

Na Na Na Na Na Na

Wanna be on top?

With the first elimination of the competition, the contestants are feeling the pressure. They know that there can only be on YMtC's Next Top Card Designer. And with the title comes the clout and each round offers some fabulous prizes - CotW nominations and some more surprises.

Here's challenge for the remaining eleven contestants:

Eleven is two 1s. Each of you will design a card that showcases exactly two of your given number between its mana cost, rules text, power, and/or toughness. You can use the number (1) or the word (one).

• Q - 1
  • Eph - 2
  • Lilystorm - 3
  • Silly - 4
  • Dudibus - 5
  • Mown - 6
  • Malikot - 7
  • Yarium - 8
  • YingLung - 9
  • razorborne - 10
  • Confused - 11

As always, your designs will be grouped into Great, Good, and Okay. There will be two contestants at the bottom of each round who will be judged based on their past and present performance - one will make it to the next round and the other will be sent home.

You have until 6PM PST on 11/27 to finish this round. Best of luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:31 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

does a thing with the appropriate CMC count (say, for 10) or does it have to use that specific number of colorless mana?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:34 am 

For the purpose of this round, it will need to have the appropriate colorless mana - :10:.
:10: would count too. As long as there's a 10 in it.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next