It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:19 pm 

Identity: Unqualified
Gladiatorial Spectacle
Enchantment
Creatures you control have haste.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, its controller chooses a creature they don't control. Those creature fight each other. If the creature they control dies this turn, they draw a card.
"What a shame. Bring on the next challenger!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:20 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Urgent Conscription
Instant
Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 1 and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
War's got no time for selection processes.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Last edited by Mown on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 am 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
Mown wrote:
Flash Conscription
Instant
Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 1 and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Flash Conscription

might I suggest an alternative name instead? something like "Summon Weenie" or "White Mom Materializes Out of Nowhere"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:56 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

no wonder the name had a ring to it I guess

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:23 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
Bump-a-lump

Destiny 2

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 pm 

YingLung wrote:
Cruel Angel's Thesis
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has flying and soulbond.
Whenever a creature paired with enchanted creature dies, put two +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.
"As you can see, it is not through love alone that mortals gain glory, but through the inevitable following sorrow."
- Orphiel, to the Prosecutor

Good. Not a fan of granting creatures soulbound via an Aura - seems like too much to track. Like the flavor of the design and how it plays out.

razorborne wrote:
Show of Skill-
Instant
Split Second
Gain control of target artifact with converted mana cost 1 or less.
The first test to join the Thieves' Guild is to steal a coin from the test giver's own pocket.

split second is because a lot of cheap artifacts are "sac for an effect".

:duel:

Good. Understand why you added split second. Good targets for this includes moxen, treasures, clues, baubles, spellbombs, etc.

Dudibus wrote:
Promising Lyrist
Creature ─ Elf Druid (U)
Will of the council ─ When Promising Lyrist enters the battlefield, starting with you, each player votes yes or no. Promising Lyrist enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each yes. If all players vote yes, each player adds during their next main phase.
0/0

Good. Interesting take on the punisher mechanic. Would have considered this in red.

Yarium wrote:
Next In Line |
Creature - Shapeshifter | {R}
Next In Line enters the battlefield as a copy of your Commander, except it has a power and toughness of 1.
Even the greatest general learns from those that came before them.
[1/1]

Okay. The design is interesting, but it's hard to evaluate Commander staples.

Silly wrote:
BelangiaJo wrote:
It can be someone who is auditioning

I pick razorborne.

Acorn Fencer
Creature - Squirrel Soldier (R)
Acorn Fencer has double strike as long as you control more Forests than any other player.
Chattering elegance in every stroke, leaving the judges stunned.
2/1

Good. Most aspects of this design lean RW more than GW, but like the decision to go green.

Select for Tribute
Sorcery (R)
Target creature's controller sacrifices it. If that player does, they draw cards equal to that creature's power.
"Too skinny... too useful... Ah. That's the one. A prime specimen, plenty of meat, no brains. That should keep Baknorim satisfied for days. Ready the meat grinder."
—Petstin, godfeeder

Good. Beyond flavor and "sacrifice matters" synergies, this should just be "destroy target creature." Love the flavor.

Eph wrote:
Eternal Bridesmaid -
Creature - Human Spirit
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are no +1/+1 counters on Eternal Bridesmaid, you may put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control.
She never chose to be never chosen.
1/2

Great. Really like this design. Almost wish modern card design didn't move in the direction of "you may."

Good credentials :b:
Sorcery
Search your library for a card with the same name of a creature that attacked this turn and add it to your hand then shuffle your library.

Good. Would change the wording a bit, but like the idea of enlisting someone like a proven combatant.

LilyStorm wrote:
Knighthood Candidate
Creature - Human Knight
First strike
~ has 1/1 base power and toughness on your first, second, and third turns.
That one, he has promise.
3/3

Great. Like the spin on Serra's Avenger.

Lanowar's Got Talent | :2::g::g:
Sorcery

Each player searches their library for a creature card with a converted mana cost of five or less, exiles it face down, then shuffle's their library. Reveal all cards exiled with ~. For each card revealed this way, if no other revealed cards share the same converted mana cost, its owner casts it without paying it's mana cost.
Exile ~.

Contests among summoners are often decided by creativity rather than brute strength.

Okay. First, it's spelled Llanowar. Second, this card seems broken in a lot of ways. It tutors a card and casts it for free. The constraint isn't too difficult.

Confused wrote:
Hopeful Slayer -
Creature - Human Warrior
: ~ fights target Beast, Hydra, Dragon or Kraken. Then, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Whereas young Kalim saw a great feat, the nobles sitting upon the arena's high walls saw only entertainment.
1/2

Great. I really like the story this card tells, but there are very few Beasts, Hydrae, Dragons, and Kraken that wouldn't just kill this upon fighting it the first time.

otrisk wrote:
Arkhaz, Ennobled Hero - M
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
First strike, Vigilance, Hexproof from White and from Black
When you cast Arkhaz, each opponent may have you gain control of a nonland permanent he or she controls. When an opponent does, remove all Bribe counters from all players, then that player gets a Bribe counter.
Arkhaz enters the battlefield flipped if a player got a Bribe counter this turn.
5/5
"The boy wanted to be a knight. The man's feats - and a well disposed Council - made him one."

//Arkhaz, Vengeful Defector
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
Menace
Arkhaz, Vengeful Defector can't block.
At the beginning of combat on your turn, if a player has a Bribe counter, Arkhaz attacks that player this turn if able.
3/3
"You thought you'd paid a fair price to rob me of my destiny. You were not done paying."

This is entirely too much, yes.

Okay. This card is doing too much. I like the concept behind the two halves. It also doesn't appear to fit the criterion.

Malikot wrote:
Gladiatorial Spectacle
Enchantment
Creatures you control have haste.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, its controller chooses a creature they don't control. Those creature fight each other. If the creature they control dies this turn, they draw a card.
"What a shame. Bring on the next challenger!"

Okay. The wording of the last ability is off a bit. Who is "they" referring to on the card draw clause?

Mown wrote:
Urgent Conscription
Instant

Great. Surprised that something like this doesn't already exist. What's the worst that could happen?

The following twelve beautiful card designers will be progressing to the next round.
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Woot woot

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: she/her/hers
Still got it. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:00 pm 

Identity: ichthyophile
I did try to fit the criterion but it's kind of implied.
The character is a soldier who wants to be made a knight for his feats. He is auditioned by "The Council". If an opponent bribes the council by giving you a permanent, he doesn't get to be a knight.
The card really does too much just for flavor's sake but it was fun to make.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:19 pm 

Honestly, I thought my card was a bit of a stretch to fit the criteria, but as soon as I thought of the name, the powers that weeb left me no choice but to make it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:10 pm 

Wanna be on top?

Na Na Na Na Na Na

Na Na Na Na Na Na

Wanna be on top?

What I see in front of me are twelve beautiful and talented card designers who blew the audition round out of the water and are one step closer to some fabulous prizes.

But only one of you can be on top. Your challenge for this round is the following:

Design a card that represents your given month:
  • Eph - January
  • Mown - February
  • Lilystorm - March
  • Confused - April
  • Dudibus - May
  • razorborne - June
  • YingLung - July
  • Silly - August
  • Q - September
  • Hello World - October
  • Yarium - November
  • Malikot - December

As always, your designs will be grouped into Great, Good, and Okay. There will be two contestants at the bottom of each round who will be judged based on their past and present performance - one will make it to the next round and the other will be sent home.

Best of luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:17 am 

When you think of July, you can think of any number of things, unless you are American. Then you can only think of Freedom, Explosions, and Patriotism. In all seriousness, while American patriotism is something of a meme, that sort of unifying group identity can be very powerful.

Banner of a Nation :5:
Artifact
Whenever you cast a spell that shares a color with your commander's color identity, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever you cast a spell that has all the same colors as your commander's color identity for the first time each turn, untap all creatures you control. If it is your turn, after this phase there is an additional combat phase.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:19 am 

March is not a month i remember. This is gonna be hard

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:39 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

LilyStorm wrote:

Just make a lion.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:51 am 

Remember remember the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I can think of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

Explosive Liberation |
Instant | (U)
Destroy target creature that can't attack or block, or that is controlled by a player other than its owner. That creature deals damage to any target equal to its power.

(Yeah, this is the most November-ish thing I can think of outside US elections.)

Last edited by Yarium on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:08 am 

Mown wrote:
LilyStorm wrote:

Just make a lion.

If i want to make a dumb pun I'll do some sort of literal march.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:39 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

In the northern hemisphere, September is the beginning of fall. One of the most beautiful aspects of the fall season is the changing of the colors. The green on trees is replaced with a plethora of different colors, including red, orange, yellow, and brown.

In contemplating how to depict fall in Magic, it occurred to me just how many colors there are to see during the autumn compared to the summer. What if autumn themed cards cared about the number of colors you're playing? This thought led me to Auburn Concordant:

Autumn Concordant
Creature — Dryad Warrior (U)
3/2
Affinity for colors (This spell costs less to cast for each color among permanents you control.)
Haste, trample
When Auburn Concordant enters the battlefield, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of colors among permanents you control.
"As summer gives way to autumn, our leaves show forth the fire that lights our souls."

Disregard

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:54 pm 

Well, according to wikipedia October is the last month in which wine is usually harvested, so I think I'm making something loosely tied to alcool, now I need to think of the card.*

Folk festival :r::r:
Sorcery
Tap all creatures you control, for each creature tapped this way create a colorless Treasure artifact token with ":t:, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."
Even the guards take part in the days long autumn feast, thankfully the neighboring nations join too

*This might or might not be the exact reason that makes me think my card represents October.

Last edited by Hello World on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:21 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

September is the harbinger of doom for many youngsters — the month they must leave their families and summer vacations to attend the atrocity that is school.

but summer vacation ends in july

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:33 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Mown wrote:
September is the harbinger of doom for many youngsters — the month they must leave their families and summer vacations to attend the atrocity that is school.

but summer vacation ends in july

For me, it always ended late August.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next