It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:11 am 

Identity: Unqualified
Cer'Piti, the Forest's Mistake
Creature - Elk Horror
~ can't be blocked except by seven or more creatures.
Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability or attacks, each player creates a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
The six clans of the Valley banded together to stave off the new, oncoming excrescence. Had there been seven clans of the Valley, they may have even succeeded.
3/7

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:51 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
I was going to make another card but couldn't think of anything

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:33 pm 

I’m supposed to be grading this right now, but I locked myself out of my apartment.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:23 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: she/her/hers
Ouch. :( I wish you safe and swift reunification with your home.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:13 am 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:19 pm 

:bump:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:02 pm 

Thanks for the bump, Silly. Grading will be complete before the weekend ends.

It's be a hectic week to say the least.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:00 pm 

Don't think it be fair to edit my card now right?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:02 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Lol nah.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:56 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Since my last post moved this to page 2, it's my duty to bump it back to page 1.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:27 pm 

Thanks, everyone, for the patience! Between coming back from Taipei, getting locked out of my apartment, interviewing for a new role at work, celebrating my boyfriend's birthday in Zurich, and heading to New Delhi for a coworker's wedding - I've been strapped thin on time to grade this. Will have the next round up shortly.

YingLung wrote:
Riddle of the Triskelion
Sorcery
For every nine permanents you control that do not share a name, choose one -
* Draw three cards.
* Create a 6/6 Construct artifact creature token.
* Riddle of the Triskelion deals 9 damage to any target.

Okay. I understand that nine is a hard number to organically add to a card, but the numbers here feel very forced. In order to choose any one of the modes, you require nine unique permanents. To get double value, you need eighteen unique permanents (which would prove to be difficult). The first mode is the strongest with the third mode being the next strongest. The 6/6 creature token seems like the weakest option, tho getting it and one of the other modes seems reasonable enough.

Confused wrote:
Herald of the Witching Hour - :11:
Creature - Eldrazi
Flying, Convoke
As ~ enters the battlefield, you may search your library for any number of Eldrazi creature cards with different names and exile them.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control exactly eleven other permanents, sacrifice them. Then, cast all Eldrazi creature cards you own from exile that were exiled by a card named ~ without paying their mana cost.
Insanity shall reign with the strike of the midnight bell.
3/7

Good. My first check this round is how natural the number is included on the design. I feel like this is a natural use of eleven. Eleven makes sense on an Eldrazi. The requirement for exactly eleven permanents other than the Eldrazi is also very Eldrazi. I like the game play challenge that this card creates to pull off successfully.

Dudibus wrote:
Chattering Uprising
Sorcery (U)
Create five 1/1 green squirrel creature tokens. If you control five squirrel creatures, create 10 1/1 green squirrel creature tokens instead.
He tried to sleep, but as the fire died down, all he could hear was that mindless crescendo of clacking teeth.

Good. This design is somewhere in the middle of the two modes of Increasing Devotion except it doesn't create 15 creature tokens in a game. Also, based on precedent, this design feels more white than green (despite the cutesy use of squirrel tokens and corresponding flavor). Decent design, but a little uninspired.

Silly wrote:
Swift Retribution
Instant (R)
Create a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying. It fights target creature that dealt damage to you this turn.
"The righteous cannot stand aside when injustice occurs before their very eyes." - Aurelia

Great. The biggest thing that goes against this design is how unintuitive the wording is regarding valid targets. Otherwise, this is a very organic design where your number doesn't distract from the card.

Yarium wrote:
Herald of the Infinite |
Creature - Eldrazi | {MR}
Trample, Indestructible
: Herald of the Infinite's power and toughness becomes any number you choose. It can't deal damage this turn, and spells and abilities will count its power and toughness this turn as 0 instead. Use this ability only while Herald of the Infinite is tapped.
8/8

Okay. I had the impression that the higher numbers for this round would produce a lot of Eldrazi. At first, I rated this design as though the activated ability lasted until end of turn and was very down on the design. Then, I noticed that the P/T change doesn't stop at the end of turn. Essentially, this card is a two turn kill. You cast it, pass turn, attack with it in the following turn, change the P/T to some arbitrarily high number, and win via trample damage. If not, you can do any number of Thud interactions to win the game.

LilyStorm wrote:
Holy Trinity
Creature - Angel Incarnation
Flying, Lifelink, Vigilance
~ enters the battlefield with 3 +1/+1 counters on it
Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: You can't lose the game this turn and your opponents can't win the game this turn. Until end of turn, damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead.
0/0

Good. Overall, this card seems a bit weak. I like the workaround to have P/T effectively 3/3 without using 3 to do so. Five mana for a 3/3 flying, lifelink, vigilance creature is decent - but there have been stronger Angel precedents.

Eph wrote:
Sinister Dogma -
Enchantment
When Sinister Dogma enters the battlefield, draw two cards.
You can't cast more than two spells each turn.
The most dangerous books are those that claim to obviate the need for any others.

Good. This card is powerful, especially in multiples since they scale well. It's hard to decide if this design is black or if it should be blue/black. I do see the argument for monoblack here.

Necroscopic Visions
Enchantment (M)
Pay 1 life: Exile top card of your library face down. You may look at that card for as long as it remains exiled.
At the beginning of your end step, choose a card exiled with Necroscopic Visions and put it into your hand.
Omniscience, no matter the cost.

Good. This card is a little scary. Reminds me of an uncapped Phyrexian Arena, a [d]Doom Whisperer[/c] that draws, or Arguel's Blood Fast without a mana requirement.

razorborne wrote:
Gulmrek, The Living Mountain
Legendary Land-Mountain
Gulmrek enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever a sorcery spell you control deals damage to one or more creatures, put an eruption counter on Gulmrek.
, remove three eruption counters from Gulmrek: Gulmrek becomes a 10/10 Elemental creature in addition to its other types. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
Once every century or so, some new tribe decides to settle around her base. Once every century or so, she feeds.

Great. This design is flavorful and it effortlessly uses 10 twice without seeming too out-of-place. Easily the best design of the round.

Mown wrote:
Explosive Imagination
Instant
Exile the top six cards of your library. You may cast any number of them with a combined converted mana cost of 6 or less without paying their mana costs.
Red mages excel at being unpredictably predictable.

Great. This is exactly the type of card that red should get, but for some reason is always a bit shy of getting it. It's temporary card advantage, "free" spells, and good flavor.

Malikot wrote:
Cer'Piti, the Forest's Mistake
Creature - Elk Horror
~ can't be blocked except by seven or more creatures.
Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability or attacks, each player creates a 0/1 green Plant creature token.
The six clans of the Valley banded together to stave off the new, oncoming excrescence. Had there been seven clans of the Valley, they may have even succeeded.
3/7

Good. The first ability basically reads "~ can't be blocked" even with mutual plants. Overall, I like the design space that this card explores, though I don't think it's the best version of it.

The following ten card designers have passed and will, therefore, be continuing their quest to become YMtC's Next Top Card Designer:
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 pm 

Wanna be on top?

Na Na Na Na Na Na

Na Na Na Na Na Na

Wanna be on top?

Another competitor down. With only ten left in the competition, who will rise to the top and become YMtC's Next Top Card Designer? This title will bring prestige, it will bring countless fans, and it will bring some haters. thank u, next round.

Below, you will find the next criteria for the ten of you:

Each of you have been assigned one of the ten Ravnica guilds. Your challenge is to design a card with an existing set mechanic from a non-Ravnica set. Choose your set mechanic wisely - it needs to make sense in the guild.

• razorborne - Azorius
  • Mown - Dimir
  • Silly - Rakdos
  • Confused - Gruul
  • Eph - Selesnya
  • Malikot - Orzhov
  • Dudibus - Izzet
  • Lilystorm - Golgari
  • Q - Boros
  • YingLung - Simic

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - your designs are grouped in Great, Good, and Okay. After the round is over and the designs have been graded, there will be a bottom two. These designers will be evaluated based on their past and current designs and only one will continue in the rest of the competition.

You have until 6PM PST on 12/19 to submit and finalize your designs. Best of luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:44 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

To clarify, when you say "set mechanic," do you mean "keyword ability, keyword action, or ability word," or "any overarching theme with a solid mechanical identity"? For example, Naya had a solid "power 5 or greater" theme, but it was never given a keyword.

I'm guessing the first, but wanted to make sure.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:46 am 

Thanks for the clarification. It's the first - keyword abilities, keyword actions, and abilities words.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:17 am 

Azarah, Daring Blood Witch
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (R)
If you have exactly one card in your hand, that card has madness. The madness cost is equal to its mana cost.
"Really? You'd have to be crazy to think that would work." - Unnamed Boros guardsman, last words
3/1

Madness is an excellent fit for the Cult of Rakdos. It's a clear flavor match, given that the majority of the guild is comprised of insane hedonists. It is also mechanically synergistic with what the guild already wants to be doing. One of Rakdos's existing mechanics is Hellbent, which gives the player an incentive to quickly play or discard cards from their hand for value. With madness thrown into the mix, Rakdos gets even more exciting, being able to discard cards to a spell or ability for an advantage, trigger madness, and enable Hellbent, all at the same time.

Last edited by Silly on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:22 am 

also if i change my avatar now will i forever ruin your graphics?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:30 am 

And I just forgot the until end of turn ride to kill me. Oops.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 am 

Burgeoning Hydrangea
Creature - Plant Mutant
:t:: Add :g: and put a +1/+1 counter on Burgeoning Hydrangea. If there are 5 or more +1/+1 counters on Burgeoning Hydrangea, you may transform it.
1/2
Climbing plants have adapted well to city life...
////////////////////////////////////////
Deciduous Hydra
Creature - Hydra Mutant
:g:, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Weeping Hydra: Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn. If there are no more +1/+1 counters on Weeping Hydra, transform it.
2/1
...though many require regular pruning to keep from damaging important infrastructure.

All simic transformers would trigger on the accumulation of +1/+1 counters. While Simic has always been about modifying and enhancing creatures, it has always been a one-note progression. Transformation is the ultimate art of the guild, taking natural organisms and twisting and cultivating them into unnatural forms of powerful utility.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Last edited by YingLung on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:50 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: she/her/hers
There is really no better fit for Selesnya Conclave than a mechanic with a name that means "a countless or extremely great number of people or things".

Phyanna, Hundred-Voiced -
Legendary Creature - Dryad Cleric
: Target creature gains myriad until end of turn. (Multiple instances of myriad trigger separately)
: Populate. Activate this ability only during combat.
You may convoke Phyanna, Hundred-Voiced's activated abilities as though they were spells.
4/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Elusive Agitator
Creature — Human Rogue
Skulk (This creature can’t be blocked by creatures with greater power.)
Whenever ~ attacks, up to one other target creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
A cause of much anger, yet the subject of none.
1/1

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next