It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:40 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fifth season of Pro Tour: You Make the Card! This is your annual opportunity to put your fantasy fantasy card design skills to the test for a chance at internet immortality. Over the next several months, this competition will push you to be the best designer you can be to see which of you can join the ranks of YMTC legends.

Logistics

Wild Card Round

Only those dedicated enough to have participated in all seven open-entry rounds may compete in the Wild Card round. The following users are invited to compete:

• Knight Otu
  • Johnny Valdez
  • LilyStorm
  • Rubik
  • BelangiaJo
  • Shadesmoke
  • YingLung
  • Confused
  • CuriousHeartless
  • Flopfoot
  • Hello World

If your name is not on this list, do not post a submission in this thread. After the submission portion of the round has been completed, feel free to design around the criteria in ICDs or card dumps.

Many of Magic's iconic races are used over and over again, including goblins, elves, vedalken, humans, leonin, and many others. Occasionally, we get a glimpse at a new race, as we did with aetherborn in Kaladesh block. These races add an exciting sense of novelty to new planes, but it can be difficult to capture the new race's identity.

For this round, choose one —

• Create a new humanoid race, and design a creature card depicting that race.
  • Reimagine an existing humanoid race, give it some kind of a twist or an aspect we haven't seen before, and design a creature card depicting it.

Since there is a discrete number of contestants this round, and the criteria could be difficult to fulfill otherwise, a blurb explaining your design choices is encouraged.

You have until 23 October 2018 at 21:00 CT to post your submissions. Best of luck to you!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:11 am 

Dwarven Jeweler - :1::r:
Creature - Dwarf
:t:, Sacrifice a Treasure: Add two mana of any one color.
2/1

We've seen dwarves mining and smithing (and steampunk dwarves in kaladesh) but nothing about their relationship to treasure. Not only would dwarves gather treasure (like a dwarf Wily Goblin) but they are also good at using it (according to Tolkien's view of dwarves at least). This guy takes a treasure which would normally make one mana and crafts it into a jewel worth two mana. For simplicity and power level, that jewel is immediately consumed.

Last edited by Flopfoot on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:41 pm 

To clarify - would centaurs or other tauric races count as humanoid for this round?

- Preliminary

The Metee (very loosely based on the metee-kolen-ol of Abenaki myth)

The metee are a cunning, ruthless people with a knack for sorcery. Their most striking feature is that they do not have organic hearts - they have a partly-exposed sphere of inorganic matter. This is often ice, but metals are rather common, as well.

The relevance of the metee's heart material varies between worlds. On some, they show a metee's talent. On others, they are the basis of rulership or servitude. Regardless, no Metee can escape their heart for long - should it be covered by cloth, armor, or paint, it will slowly cease functioning. Only illusion magic has proven effective at concealing a metee heart or its nature.

Vicious practitioners of magic, Metee usually are focused in blue and black, and often will be Wizards.

Steelheart Blademage
Creature - Metee Wizard Knight (U)
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, target creature an opponent controls gets -1/-1.
2/3

Last edited by Knight Otu on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Knight Otu wrote:
To clarify - would centaurs or other tauric races count as humanoid for this round?

I would judge as yes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:02 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Centaurs are fine.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:41 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I would also judge as yes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 pm 

The Andu are not a biological race, as such, but rather manifestations of Duan, a living sub-plane that drifts through the Blind Eternities. Duan is far too large to manifest in the plane without critically damaging it, and so it manifests shards of itself instead. These shards are gem-like seeds that gather material around them to form tightly packed tendrils which rearrange themselves as necessary. Their default form is that of their progenitor, a main trunk with root-like tendrils skittering across the ground, two branching limbs attached to the trunk, and the gemseed set on the stump-like top of the trunk. As needed, the Andu form faces and other body parts in order to communicate with those around them.

Default Andu form with face for interaction

The Andu are generally cryptic, but willing to explain their part in what they call "the performance". These parts range from the simple gardening of patch of land to crafting finery for the nobility, to meticulously dismantling one tree in the middle of the forest and setting fire to its pieces in chronological order. They do not resist violence from the natives, unless their part of the performance includes fighting the natives. Once their part of the performance is finished, the Andu sheds its body, and the gemseed returns to Duan.

Colorwise, Andu are primarily red, with the occasional performer in blue or green.

Battlefield Dancer :2::r:
Creature - Andu Warrior
Firststrike
If Battlefield Dancer would deal combat damage, add that much :r: instead. If four or more mana is added this way, exile Battlefield Dancer and draw a card.
2/3
"I am to burn brightly."

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:31 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Race

Would any of those listed under humanoid not be considered humanoid by the judges?

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:02 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
LilyStorm wrote:

Would any of those listed under humanoid not be considered humanoid by the judges?

I don't think this is a criterion where being a stickler is all that meaningful. anything that feels humanoid to you is probably gonna be fine for me. (and I assume the rest of the judges too.)

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:42 pm 

Tortan are turtle people. They are slim with blueish skin and hard brown-and-green shells on their backs. Their faces resemble that of a turtle and their skin is loose and leathery. They live on land and in water with webbed fingers and toes that are, otherwise, human-like. Mostly practicing as wizards, shaman, and scouts.

Mechanically, their identity is comprised of "being tapped matters." My design is below:

Tortan Slipmage -
Creature- Turtle Wizard | C
, Sacrifice Tortan Slipmage: Return target creature to its owner's hand. Activate this ability only if Tortan Slipmage is tapped.
1/4

This is shown in many formats such as conditional activated abilities, state-based abilities that require the creature to be tapped, "You may choose not to untap" abilities, etc.
The Tortan show up in blue, black, and green.

This mechanic confronts Giant Tortoise head-on by making the conscious choice to care about the opposite (being tapped rather than being untapped). Part of this, flavorfully, allows for a mechanical difference between turtles/tortoise creature types and the Tortan.

Best,
BelangiaJo

scrapped

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:50 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

LilyStorm wrote:

You can pretty much turn any race into a humanoid race, if you do it right. Look at the Leonin and Loxodon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:40 pm 

Does reimagining golems/elementals count?
Lore later.

So earth elementals are often humanoid rock masses in the game, what if they were able to use items made of metals and other materials found in the grounds as a sort of limb? I feel they need to be more clearly sapient for such a change albeit they could have a slightly alien value system. Statwise they should be present at higher mana costs since goblins and orcs can already fill the 1-4 cmc slots quite well. They could work particularly well for artifacts based synergies.

vasehead excavator :2::r::r:
Creature-Elemental artificier(U)
First strike
Whenever Cardname enters the battlefield, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "Tap, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."
Sacrifice a treasure:attach target equipment you control to cardname.
"The head archaeologist always felt a bit guilty carrying such a fragile memento around, but it was just too intact to not brag about it."
3/2

Last edited by Hello World on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:53 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Flamekin are humanoid if that is what you're getting at.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:42 pm 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
yeah but what if this new take on humanoid elementals are water tribe instead of fire nation?

sort of like how we have humanoid snakes from kamigawa, but then they made different humanoid snakes with naga

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:28 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

We've got 5 submissions out of 11 so far. Reminder that this round closes on Tuesday night!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:53 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Silly wrote:
yeah but what if this new take on humanoid elementals are water tribe instead of fire nation?

sort of like how we have humanoid snakes from kamigawa, but then they made different humanoid snakes with naga

razorborne wrote:
I don't think this is a criterion where being a stickler is all that meaningful. anything that feels humanoid to you is probably gonna be fine for me. (and I assume the rest of the judges too.)

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:18 am 

Can't 'link' with this criteria.

In this particular place, humanity is declining. A decision to bind souls to dolls called Arctype was made to supplement humanity. The governing party proclaims them as humans even if their body functions are mechanical - they possess a human soul and a human appearance after all. As expected, the usual bundle of fear and distrust within the citizenry came along with the concept of calling dolls 'human' no matter how human-like they are in behavior and appearance.

Basically, androids. Ghost in a Shell, Nier:Automata kinda vibes.

Endearing Guardian -
Artifact Creature - Arctype
Ensoul (Whenever a non-token creature you control dies, if ~ is in your graveyard, you may pay and exile that creature instead. If that creature is exiled this way, return ~ to the battlefield tapped.)
Humans you control gets +1/+1.
Even against the torrent of fear and distrust, he persevered to be accepted.
1/2

Last edited by Confused on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:49 am 

Identity: Rubik
We've got 5 submissions out of 11 so far. Reminder that this round closes on Monday night!

Isn't the 23rd Tuesday?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:55 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Rubik wrote:
We've got 5 submissions out of 11 so far. Reminder that this round closes on Monday night!

Isn't the 23rd Tuesday?

Right you are. Still, time's running out!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 pm 

The Oram are a humanoid race typically about six to seven feet tall with skin made of quicksilver. They are able to shift it as they please to certain extents, so they are listed as Shapeshifters. Though their changing abilities is much, much weaker than most. They freely exchange parts of their body to both strengthen each other and share skills. They appear in Blue mostly with White secondarily and a few Green. Mechanically they care about others in pumping or gaining advantage, though of course since they have a Shapeshifter type and not an Oram type they are less parasitic. They also tend to pass or take other Types but that is mostly meaningless unless you build your decks around it.

Oram Lockpick
Creature - Shapeshifter Rogue
~ can't be blocked
, : Target Shapeshifter you control becomes a Rogue in addition to it's other types and can't be blocked this turn.
"Of course I'd always lend a hand to help my fellows. Though I like you so you can borrow my whole arm, easier to use that way."
1/3

Like this post