It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:25 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fifth season of Pro Tour: You Make the Card! This is your annual opportunity to put your fantasy fantasy card design skills to the test for a chance at internet immortality. Over the next several months, this competition will push you to be the best designer you can be to see which of you can join the ranks of YMTC legends.

Logistics
Current Rankings

Round 3

In Limited formats, like booster draft and sealed, it is difficult to stick to only one color. Two of the primary reasons for this are scarcity and capability. With such a limited card pool, you're unlikely to pull an appropriate number of playable cards in a single color, especially in draft where many players may be seeking out cards of that color. Some colors are better at certain things than others. For example, black is good at removing creatures, and green is not. As a result, players often seek out two colors to play in their limited decks.

One way to cater to the common two-color paradigm while not requiring particular two-color combinations is to design cards of a single color that benefit from having a different color around. For example, Shalai, Voice of Plenty is very solid in any white deck, but gives you added benefit if you happen to be playing green as well.

Your task this round is to design a monocolored card that benefits from playing at least one additional color.

Your task for this round is to design a monocolored card that has an ability that uses mana of at least one other color.

This is the criterion I discussed with the judges previously, and my rewording of it opened it up in ways that deviated from the intended theme. This is a bit more strict, but it's truer to what was intended.

You have until 10 August 2018 at 12:00 CT to post your submissions. Best of luck to you!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Bayouborn Crone
Creature — Hag (R)
Deathtouch
Swamps and Forests you control are Swamp Forests.
The local children laugh as they whisper of the monsters that go bump in the night. But if they were to sally forth beyond the levee walls, the wretch they'd meet would rise up far more wicked than a werewolf.
1/2

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:14 pm 

Undead Muckmage -
Creature - Zombie Wizard | R
Undead Muckmage enters the battlefield tapped.
When Undead Muckmage enters the battlefield, return target creature an opponent controls to its owner's hand.
, Exile an Island card from your graveyard: Return Undead Muckmage from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
2/2

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:30 pm 

It feels, to me, somewhat disingenuous to answer a question about Limited with a rare I suppose Shalai, Voice of Plenty is an example, but she struck me as being more meant for commander/brawl where her ability gives her an expanded color identity. For a Limited question, then, a Limited workhorse.

Disaster's Memoria
:1::r:
Instant {U}
Kicker :b:
If Disaster's Memoria was kicked, it has Deathtouch.
Disaster's Memoria deals 2 damage to any target target.
To the flames that consumed the Old Empire, flesh and soul are no different than oil and kindling.

Comparisons: Terminate, Lightning Strike

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:33 pm 

Flametongue Iguana -
Creature - Lizard
Trample
R: ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
3/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:32 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Doubt
Instant
Kicker
Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control unless doubt was kicked.
"Is this really what I want?"

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 pm 

workspace

Do we have to encourage playing a specific additional colour, or just any other colour?

Raging Hydra
Creature - Hydra
Haste
~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When ~ enters the battlefield, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the amount of used to cast ~.
0/0

Hard to come up with good names for hydras. Without art I feel I have to use "Hydra" in the name to get the point across, and I can't think of any good synonyms to swap out for it. It's not like dragon and "hellkite". I guess I could go poetic, "Many Furious Jaws" or some such.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Last edited by TPmanW on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:47 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

It has to be rewarded by a specific additional color. The spirit of the round is to design a card that is good on its own but better if you play it with another specific color.

EpicLevelCommoner, your card does not fit the criteria. ParadOxymoron, your card is borderline, and I wouldn't be surprised if a judge marked it down for it not fitting the criteria.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 am 

Parad's card is iffy because it's not really useful in monocolor, right? I was thinking about it from the other direction and couldn't figure out how it failed to encourage going off-color.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:32 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
It has to be rewarded by a specific additional color. The spirit of the round is to design a card that is good on its own but better if you play it with another specific color.

EpicLevelCommoner, your card does not fit the criteria. ParadOxymoron, your card is borderline, and I wouldn't be surprised if a judge marked it down for it not fitting the criteria.

So it has two individual benefits, one for monocolor and the other for multicolor? Thanks for clarity (Technically, my original design is best in GWU decks, though it doesnt getter better as an individual design.)

Reworking now.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:37 am 

Pilgrim of the Anima
Creature - Human Druid (R)
Whenever you cast a non-white spell, gain 1 life for each non-white spell you cast this turn.
1/1

Hunter’s Journey
Sorcery (U)
Look at the top five cards of your library. You may select a land card from among them and put it into play tapped and the rest of the cards on the bottom of your library in any order.
If you spent three different colors of mana to cast Hunter’s Journey, create a 3/3 green Beast token with trample.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:06 am 

workspace

Current Submission:

Harvester Beetle |
Creature - Insect | {U}
Deathtouch
, sacrifice Harvester Beetle: Remove a counter from up to one target permanent. You may pay . When you do, look at the top four cards of your library. You may put a basic land card from among them onto the battlefield, and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
[1/1]

Last edited by Yarium on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 am, edited 8 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:59 am 

Parad's card seems like it fits perfectly TBH. It does a thing if you're green and it does another thing if you're green and black.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Parad's card is a green card that supports a black and green deck. It is not a green card that benefits from being in a black and green deck.

Rereading the criteria, it looks like I didn't do a good job of conveying what I wanted it to say. I'll work on rephrasing it. I'll let you guys know when it's updated.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I'd like the judges to note that I finished editing my card 7 minutes before Q's post.

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:15 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

NOTICE: I have updated this round's criteria. Please review your submissions. Here is the updated criteria:

Your task for this round is to design a monocolored card that has an ability that uses mana of at least one other color.

This is the criterion I discussed with the judges previously, and my rewording of it opened it up in ways that deviated from the intended theme. This is a bit more strict, but it's truer to what was intended.

I have also extended the round by a day to accommodate for my lack of clarity. Sorry for the inconvenience. The new due date and time are in the original post.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:19 pm 

For my current submission (Lord of Vermin), does the fact that Spiders are, with two old exceptions, always green qualify the card to count as benefiting when playing a second color (specifically, playing Green for access to Spiders)? Or is that going too deep.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:33 pm 

Test User (1)
i feel like i already failed. i want to play but kinda pointless. the point system is harsh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm 

Had fun with Patient Rebuilding and Psychic Corrosion in a draft just now.

Troubled Memories -
Enchantment
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or whenever you cast a spell, each opponent puts the top two cards of their library into their graveyards.
Whenever a creature card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, you may pay . If you do, exile that card and you gain 1 life.
The more he recalled, the more he seek to forget.

Last edited by Confused on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:42 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Yarium wrote:
For my current submission (Lord of Vermin), does the fact that Spiders are, with two old exceptions, always green qualify the card to count as benefiting when playing a second color (specifically, playing Green for access to Spiders)? Or is that going too deep.

Reread the criteria. It has been updated to be more specific.
theatog wrote:
i feel like i already failed. i want to play but kinda pointless. the point system is harsh.

Keep posting! There's always the wild card round, but you can't participate in that if you miss a round.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post