All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few dual land ideas
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:38 pm 

Cycle 1 - Meant for decks of at least 3 colors

Enters tapped.
: Add or .
, : Add , or .

Cycle 2 - Legendary matters

Enters tapped unless you control a legendary permanent.

Cycle 3 - Artifact matters

Enters tapped unless you control two or more artifacts.

Cycle 4 - Scry shock

Land - Plains Island
Enters tapped. When this enters, you may pay 2 life. If you do, scry 2.

Cycle 5 - Utility

Enters tapped.
Some activated ability that costs both colors of mana and gives two abilities to one target creature. All pairs target one creature to give something.

Cycle 6 - Enemy or Ally Check lands

Enters tapped unless you control their common ally or common enemy. Half would be common enemy, the other half common ally. There is no room for a cycle of 20 lands to cover all possible combinations.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I really like Cycle 1. it's a great workhorse that makes it really clear what it's trying to accomplish. 2 and 3 seem like fairly straightforward conditions that could make sense in the right environment but aren't super exciting. Cycle 4 is alright but I don't super see the need for it. Cycle 5 is hard to judge without context. Cycle 6 wouldn't need 20 cards: every pair of colors only has either a common ally or a common enemy, never both.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:55 pm 

Identity: Male
I agree with Razor on all points. THese all work. 5 is hard to judge. 4 works alright but I don't see the reason behind it.

The one change I'd make is to change cycle 2 to resemble Ancient Amphitheater &co. That way you can actually use the land to cast the legends which would play into the theme better than having to wait because you don't have a legend already. It's also slightly easier to keep track of and won't lead to rules questions about bolting Isamaru in response to playing a land.

I'd like to propose a naming scheme for cycle 6. Common dual land geography feature &rarity=+[R]&set=+[%22Limited%20Edition%20beta%22]](maybe just use the alpha duals' names) + adjective describing lack of the color needed to have them etb untapped.
ex.
Lifeless Cistern
Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Forest.
Unknown seas lay untouched beneath the earth, sealed off since before the dawn of life.
Anaerobic. Sterile. Hopeless.
Frozen Bayou
Brilliant Savannah

The lack of cohesion in cycle names really bugs me.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:18 am 

For cycle 5 I was thinking on keywords (vigilance, first strike, flying, etc). +1/+1 or abilities such as "can't be blocked".

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:30 pm 

Cycle 1 is very Commander-unfriendly. Is there a compelling reason I'm missing to not have the last ability just say "Add one mana of any color."?

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:16 pm 

I didn't think in the color identity rule. At first I thought that adding one mana of any color was redundant, because it already adds two colors by itself.

Like this post