Who should WIN Pro Tour YMTC 4?
Poll ended at Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:01 pm
razorborne 77%  77%  [ 10 ]
Johnny Valdez 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13
Total voters : 13
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the final round of the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! The months have been long, the criteria have been grueling, and the judges have been merciless. Through it all, only one contestant gets to be immortalized in YMTC history and join the ranks of YMTC legend.

This year, the contestants vying for YMTC immortality are razorborne and Johnny Valdez! They have designed well and fought hard. Now, it is time for their final test and their last chance to compete for your vote. But before we move onto the criteria, allow me to give one last shout out to everyone who made this contest possible this year!

A huge thanks to Dudibus and Mown, two of our previous esteemed Pro Tour YMTC Champions, for the hours spent judging cards throughout the contest and helping me to craft criteria in the later rounds. Also, thanks to ParadOxymoron for leading the effort to make the contest happen this year, razorborne for concepting the contest and running it in years past, and LilyStorm for the beautiful banner.

In this final round, razorborne and Johnny Valdez designed to this criteria:

Over the past several months, you have spent a lot of creative energy designing cards for thought-provoking, challenging, and sometimes bizarre criteria. (My bad on that last one.) Hopefully, you have felt yourself stretch as a result and become a better designer.

In this final round, you will revisit a round of your choice. Pick a card you designed in an earlier round. For the purpose of reminiscence and your convenience, I have posted them above. Concept a world or set for the card you chose. Illustrate that world or set by designing five additional cards. Between the card you choose and the cards you design, all five colors and colorless should be represented. Colorless can include artifacts, lands, or colorless cards a la Eldrazi if you so desire. Feel free to add a blurb to explain your submission.

Here's razorborne's take on the criteria:
razorborne

And here's Johnny Valdez's:
Johnny Valdez

Which of these submissions will hoist its submitter into eternal YMTC glory? You decide! You have a week to cast your vote for the winner of the fourth Pro Tour: You Make the Card! As always, I will hold my vote to the end in the event that a tiebreak is needed.

If you can't decide on a winner based on the final submissions, feel free to compare their submissions throughout the contest.
razorborne
Johnny Valdez
Archive

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:52 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Johnny has great flavor, but his mechanics just don't good for me. razorborne has great flavor too (reminds me of Mists of Pandaria, my favorite World of Warcraft expansion) but also has the solid mechanics to back it up. Giving this one to :duel:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:32 pm 

I had a big thing written up but basically it boils down to: I like both, JV impressed me slightly more here but it was so close I looked at the archives and Raz blew it out the water.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:05 am 

I like these mechanics that let you reuse something you've already used (in both contestants entries)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:54 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

For the Warbeast, do you have to be able to fight another creature you control in order to activate it's untap ability?

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Dudibus wrote:
For the Warbeast, do you have to be able to fight another creature you control in order to activate it's untap ability?

whoops, not as worded, no. I should say "another target creature". although maybe it fits with the flavor 'cause if you have no other creatures it has nothing to be territorial about but that interaction is non-obvious and non-obvious rules interactions aren't great.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ALSO Incantation should obviously say "non-mana ability" because I don't want to punish people for mis-sequencing their land activations. whoops again.

actually maybe it shouldn't because then I'm relying on people knowing that Regiment isn't a mana ability even though it makes mana. maybe it should just be "activated ability of a creature" or something. I don't know, I'll leave that decision to the templating team.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 pm 

Identity: Male
Razor's world isn't super fleshed out in the cards but I get a pretty good sense of what's going on mechanically and flavourful. I felt that more of the cards were worthy as standalone efforts. Each card brings something new to the table and communicates something about a faction's strategy. The regiment mechanic stands out for being even better than the rest.
Razorborne gets my vote partly because I thing the average card quality was higher, and partly because they display the set's themes better.

Nice to see Alvaro return and get his story fleshed out, but I wish the description focused more on the heist and the evil lord they plan to overthrow than the (pre?)history of the plane. We got some good prose out of the deal though. (Insert joke about cons here)
Wish the pup card about basics. I get the flavour, but whenever you punish basic or nonbasic, you should punish non. Whenever you reward basic or non, you should reward basic. You could have gotten the idea across by requiring the land to etb tapped, or triggering off Wastes.
Wrath Of Old Xanadu's pretty nifty, but I still have to count making multiple token types against it. At this level of competition incurring any sort of penalty can put you behind the other guy.
I like Esme and the Banjo best.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

We're almost halfway through the week and only have 10 votes! I know there's more than 10 people on this forum. Everybody, vote!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:48 am 

Voting razor here, not a lot of time to type since I'm in phone and boarding airplane soon to Disney. Razors cards paint a better picture of a set for me, and while I like Johnny 's set more, his cards didn't capture the heist vibe I was hoping to see and his mechanics for the set don't really capture me the way "activated abilities matter" does.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:03 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Less than 12 hours until we crown our Pro Tour Champion! If you've been holding out on voting, do so now!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:48 am 

If I haven't been holding out can I vote again? Do you recommend voting for the same person twice, or mixing it up?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:01 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
If I haven't been holding out can I vote again? Do you recommend voting for the same person twice, or mixing it up?

depends who you voted for the first time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:42 pm 

razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

depends who you voted for the first time.

Soooo JV this time 'round?

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:07 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Congratulations to razorborne, the winner of YMTC Pro Tour 4! Looks like you've got a fancy new custom title to look forward to. :king:

And well done, Johnny Valdez, for making it to and fighting valiantly in the finals!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:20 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Congratulations to razorborne, the winner of YMTC Pro Tour 4! Looks like you've got a fancy new custom title to look forward to. :king:

eyyyyyyyy :fingerguns:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:20 pm 

Identity: Rubik
Congrats, Raz!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:57 pm 

Raz gets 2 sigs! Wow, jelly.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
Glory to :duel:! My man deserves the title and I'm humbled by the opportunity to match my cards against his. Congrats my dude <3

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Glory to :duel:! My man deserves the title and I'm humbled by the opportunity to match my cards against his. Congrats my dude <3

thanks, and congrats to you too. you're one of my favorite designers on the forums, and I'm honestly pretty shocked at this result. you're awesome, dude.

TPmanW wrote:
Raz gets 2 sigs! Wow, jelly.

eyyyyyyyy :fingerguns:

Like this post