PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Johnny Valdez

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the final round of the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! The months have been long, the criteria have been grueling, and the judges have been merciless. Through it all, only one contestant gets to be immortalized in YMTC history and join the ranks of YMTC legend.

This year, the contestants vying for YMTC immortality are razorborne and Johnny Valdez! They have designed well and fought hard. Now, it is time for their final test and their last chance to compete for your vote. But before we move onto the criteria, allow me to give one last shout out to everyone who made this contest possible this year!

A huge thanks to Dudibus and Mown, two of our previous esteemed Pro Tour YMTC Champions, for the hours spent judging cards throughout the contest and helping me to craft criteria in the later rounds. Also, thanks to ParadOxymoron for leading the effort to make the contest happen this year, razorborne for concepting the contest and running it in years past, and LilyStorm for the beautiful banner.

And now, for the final criteria!

Finals Criteria

Over the past several months, you have spent a lot of creative energy designing cards for thought-provoking, challenging, and sometimes bizarre criteria. (My bad on that last one.) Hopefully, you have felt yourself stretch as a result and become a better designer.

In this final round, you will revisit a round of your choice. Pick a card you designed in an earlier round. For the purpose of reminiscence and your convenience, I have posted them above. Concept a world or set for the card you chose. Illustrate that world or set by designing five additional cards. Between the card you choose and the cards you design, all five colors and colorless should be represented. Colorless can include artifacts, lands, or colorless cards a la Eldrazi if you so desire. Feel free to add a blurb to explain your submission.

Please post your submission by Thursday, February 15 at 11:59 PM Central Time. Best of luck to you both!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:27 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
hmm. this'll take some thought. I think I know which card I want to use but I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with it yet.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:27 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Cool criteria, Q. Great job running the contest! :D

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:29 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
Oh my gosh. Cool. You kind of forget how long the pro tour goes on for, yknow. Lotta cards

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:44 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
jv how did you get here, I'm pretty sure I gave most of those cards a really mediocre score

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:08 pm 

i've the tenacity of a cockroach

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:22 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

also, putting this out there now: my schedule this month is really hectic 'cause I'm gonna be traveling a lot in March so I have to do a bunch of extra work now to prepare. this criteria's gonna take a lot of time and focus, and I'll try to get it done on time, but if it comes down to it, Q, what are your views on extensions?

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

razorborne wrote:
also, putting this out there now: my schedule this month is really hectic 'cause I'm gonna be traveling a lot in March so I have to do a bunch of extra work now to prepare. this criteria's gonna take a lot of time and focus, and I'll try to get it done on time, but if it comes down to it, Q, what are your views on extensions?

JV will win the contest if you're late.

Just kidding. The way I see it, enforcing deadlines is more important in the early rounds since the criteria only make you design one card and slipping on deadlines early on sets the expectation that it will happen a lot. But in these last rounds, I can certainly be more flexible (especially with how late I posted the finals). We're not in any rush, so let me know if you need an extension.

Totally get the busy thing, BTW. The wife and I are starting to get serious about buying a house, so life is going to be pretty hectic for us as well.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

JV will win the contest if you're late.

look JV's gonna win the contest either way so I'm not too worried about that

but cool, good to know, thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Buying a house is fun. Selling one sucks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:09 pm 

I'm cool with any extensions you guys deem fair. To that end, could we define what sort of extension we're looking at sooner than later? For example, if you guys want to just tack another week on to the submission period right now, that would work for me.

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I'm not sure. I've got my world built so I think I should be able to meet the original deadline, but I'm not sure on that. if you'd rather just have a clear set extension I'm fine with adding a week now, if Q is, and I can almost certainly guarantee that I can get things done by then.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Try to make the original deadline if you can. Let's try to stay on schedule if possible. If you need extra time, we can figure out extensions as we get closer to the deadline.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:01 pm 

Sounds good to me! :nod:

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 am 

Identity: Male
A favour to the forums Q, if you would be so generous- Could you make the pro tour stuff in your sig part of the original post of this thread so it's not lost when you change your sig?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

There will still be one more thread for voting purposes. I'll post it in there.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 am 

I'm taking my Quarterfinals entry as the root of my Finals submission. Alvaro, Dashing Ringleader () will be the card I draw from.

The plane of Xanadu, since time immemorial, was a land of innocence. All stripes of animal lived together in harmony. Where predator met prey, of course, violence reigned. But the only evil in the land was hunger. Wild grace and tremendous natural beauty reigned.

But one day a mysterious wizard rose in status among the dogs. Now the dogs desired, above all, Order. They resented their base and chaotic neighbors. So the wizard showed the dogs how to build roads, and how to grow steel-trees. He showed them how to mix bone into concrete; how to pray to the gods who live in the darkness between stars.

Quickly the dogs built grand cities. Asphalt and concrete hemorrhaged the landscape. Upsetting the natural order, the dogs drew the ire of the other beasts of Xanadu. So the wizard showed the dogs how to start fires with pitch, and how to mix illness out of air. How to lose an eye and regrow three more. How to die and be reborn.

A champion rose up among the dogs. She called herself Xana, for with her many mouths she claimed to speak for Xanadu.

One by one the great old races of the land — the elephants, the humans, the falcons — fell to the dogs. By the end of Xana's War, only the cats remained. Alone at the edge of annihilation, they unconditionally surrendered to the forces of empire. For a dozen generations since, they have lived in the margins of a world no longer their own.

But one day, a cat sees an opportunity. To topple Xana, and take the world back. He's just a bard from nowhere, in land with no stories to tell. Can Alvaro and his Thieves steal the Crown, and return Old Xanadu to glory?

Pup of Xana
Creature — Hound Homunculus
Whenever you play a nonbasic land, you may pay . If you do, return Pup of Xana from your graveyard to your hand.
"Xana conquered the wilds of Old Xanadu and salted the earth. The survivors avoided her paved boulevards and gilded plazas, so she birthed a new citizenry: grey mutts, half-formed and unthinking. They filled the cities, and the cities grew."
1/1

Lordhound's Gluttony
Enchantment
Exert an unexerted, tapped land you control: Add one mana to your mana pool of a color that land could produce.
The lordhounds grew more eyes to better to count their treasures. New mouths erupted across their snouts, tongues unfurling like banners to better taste the nectars of Xanadu.

Alvaro, Dashing Ringleader
Legendary Creature — Cat Rogue
: Return Alvaro to your hand.
Whenever Alvaro deals combat damage to a player, look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a legendary creature card from among them and put it into your hand. Then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
"Hey. Here's the thing. I'm putting a crew together. Biggest job of my life. You in?"
1/2

Wrath of Old Xanadu
Sorcery
Exile each creature. For each creature exiled this way, that creature's controller may either create a 2/2 white Hound creature token, or create two 1/1 green Cat creature tokens.
"Hold your ear to the asphalt. Like this. Do you hear it? Thumping. A heart. Xanadu lives."
—Alvaro, to his Thieves

Esme the Knife
Legendary Creature — Cat Rogue
Whenever Esme the Knife enters the battlefield, attacks, or blocks, create two colorless Knife artifact tokens with ", Sacrifice this artifact: This artifact deals 1 damage to target creature."
Each pommel is engraved with the name of a cat lost in Xana's War.
1/1

Journeyman's Banjo
Artifact
: Reveal a legendary card in your hard. Add one mana of one of that card's colors to your mana pool.
: Reveal a basic land card in your hand. Add one mana of a color that land could produce to your mana pool.
"Well. Here's a song. About some heroes. And the places they went."
—Alvaro, aboard the
Sunset

saints and symbols

Last edited by Johnny Valdez on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 am, edited 6 times in total.

Like this post