Who should ADVANCE to the finals?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:30 pm
Shaz 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Johnny Valdez 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 9
Total voters : 9
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:30 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details
Top 4
Semifinals Pairings
Semifinals Criteria
Shaz's Submission
Johnny Valdez's Submission

Voting ends February 2/5 at 7:30 PM Central Time. I will hold my vote until the end in case if a tiebreaker is needed. Good luck, Shaz and Johnny Valdez!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:49 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
this isn't affecting my vote, but for templating/rules reasons, I believe all types are single words. "St. Hearth" would imply that it was separately a St. planeswalker and a Hearth planeswalker, which I don't believe is the intent.

I'll go through the whole thing in a bit but that was bugging me so I thought I'd mention it.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 am 

Ez Johnny, a 3 mana walker that kills things and plusses with the plus 1 in a precon seems wrong.

I really like Johnny's common, uncommon and how the planeswalker is a pretty decent six drop that rewards you for going wide of all things, the rare feels a little too busy.(Tbh the uncommon might need some reminder text now that I think about it tho)

Last edited by Hello World on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:45 am 

Shaz's Comments:
Pros:
I like that Balo's Witness puts the card on top of your library, rather than into your hand. That's a good idea in order to make the card a bit stronger, without losing the theme. Miraculous Escape seems like something that should be printed in a regular set, which is nice to see. Prized Memento tells me that Kera is about leading armies, I think.

Cons:
What happened Shaz. Are you feeling okay? Because normally your cards are the best, but this week they are just atrocious. Each card is too powerful for the pre-constructed decks, and are things that could show up in Standard, which these cards should not be doing, because they aren't found in the standard set, only the precon decks. I also think it was a terrible idea to make all of your cards white-themed, but your Planeswalker red-themed, as these decks are supposed to be built to the 'walker. If your walker was at least red-white, there'd be better precedent (and even then, one of the other cards should've been red), but as it stands this is far from the mark that was supposed to be hit. Lastly, it really confuses me that this Planeswalker seems to do a reverse-planeswalker-spark, turning herself from a Planeswalker into a creature. I didn't get the sense of this sacrifice anywhere in the cards.

Johnny Valdez' Comments:
Pros:
I like the Angel's hilarious over-priced-ness for its rate, but at the same time once it's out it will likely have a useful impact on the game, so this is a great precon common. The Uncommon is doing something we haven't seen much of before, but can only do it when the Planeswalker's around, so it's like St. Heather is pushing him to do more. Without the Planeswalker, it's a 1/4 Vigilance for 3, which seems right. I like the gaining life and untapping of creatures, even though it's a bit off-colour for white to be untapping, but it works as it reinforces the card-concepts of pseudo-vigilance that's already been established.

Cons:
I think the complications of "removing from combat" are too much for a precon entry-level deck. This could've been something a little easier to understand, but which does the same thing, like "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to or dealt by target creature this turn." I'm also not a fan of colored artifacts, but hey, maybe that's a "this set" thing, so I can excuse it. What I don't care for is that it has flash. Why isn't this just an Instant? What extra purpose is there in being an Artifact? Nothing else in these cards suggests artifacts as being important, so this feels like you're wasting my time with cuteness. Lastly, I don't like how St. Heather is creating enchantment tokens, when emblems tend to work better with walkers around. Yes, I get it, the enchantments can be destroyed and emblems not, but that seems like a silly thing to try and differentiate between in an intro-product. If you wanted them to be destroyed, creating 0/3 or 0/2 creatures with that +1/+1 ability instead would've been a better idea to show that she's basking in adulation.

Verdict:
Easily Johnny, even though I don't really care too much for the cards. That Common is beautiful for this entry in the contest, and the cards are telling me a story that I can make sense of more than Shaz's. Ultimately, I feel like Shaz defeated himself here, with cards that don't feel right at all for a precon deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:40 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

I really enjoyed the flavor of both submissions. They tell great stories and have excellent worldbuilding. If flavor were the only metric for evaluating card design, I would have a hard time deciding between the two.

Unfortunately, Shaz overlooked an important aspect of this round that Johnny captured very well. These products are designed for newer players, and the cards are supposed to be designed in such a way that they don't attract the attention of competitive players. If they did, they would fly off of the shelves faster than newer players could get their hands on them, driving up their prices and raising the barrier of entry. The fact that Kera costs 3 mana to cast demonstrates this oversight, and it's egregious enough that any minor flaws in Johnny's submission can be overlooked.

Should it come down to my vote, it will be for Johnny Valdez.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:45 pm 

I completely disagree with Yarium's review calling Shaz's cards atrocious and the story unclear. I feel like Shaz's cards are all individually simple but work together to tell an entire compelling story. I agree it would feel better if one of the submitted cards other than the planeswalker were red, but it is clearly the story of a red planeswalker searching (looting ability) the Multiverse for her white beloved, so the 'clues' along the way make sense as white. She even rewards you for not trading in mementos of her love for value. (And the memento feels red-white even if it's colorless.)

The only problem is that the cards are individually solid for their costs, which has bearing here.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
for :duel:'s eyes principally

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:05 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

for :duel:'s eyes principally

Spoiler

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:30 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Less than 24 hours until the polls close!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
Shaz is the best designer in this competition, and my victory here was a matter of hewing closer to the criteria rather than one of more-inspired design. Shaz whips and throughout the qualifying rounds there was a reason his cards were always the best. I'm grateful for the opportunity to go to the finals. Shouts to a real one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm 

You're a rockstar and your submission this round was the best one. Well fought and good luck in the finals! <3

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 am 

Identity: Male
C'mon guys, if niether of you wants the win, Tsomebody Pbody elseW will have to step up to the plate.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Shaz is the best designer in this competition

I'm hurt

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:49 am 

Identity: Male
razorborne wrote:
Shaz is the best designer in this competition

I'm hurt

It is nice to see others feeling pain on my behalf- frees up my own sensations for better things.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Congrats, Johnny! A hard fought victory. And a valiant and impressive effort by Shaz not just this round, but throughout the entire contest.

Finals will be up tonight.

Like this post