It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:02 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details
Top 4
Quarterfinals Pairings

Semifinals Criteria

Kaladesh premiered a new product designed for introducing new players to Magic called planeswalker decks. Wizards realized that despite the major push to make planeswalkers a focus of competitive play, the object of Magic storyline, and the face of Magic as a whole, they weren't making their way into new players' hands because:

• They are always printed at mythic rare.
  • They are usually pretty expensive to purchase as singles.
  • They are very rarely included in preconstructed product.
  • If newer players did crack a planeswalker, they would only have one copy, and their chances of getting to play with it each game were small.

Planeswalker decks are the solution to these problems. They are relatively inexpensive preconstructed decks featuring a specific planeswalker that allow brand new players to play with exciting planeswalker cards as soon as they start playing. There is of course a single planeswalker card, which is designed to be splashy, but not competitively viable, so that seasoned players don't feel the incentive to buy multiple copies of those planeswalkers and drive up the prices of the planeswalker decks. There are also two copies of a spell that searches for a planeswalker of that specific name from the hand or graveyard. This dramatically increases new players' chances of getting to play with their planeswalkers. To capture some amount of flavor and backstory, there are also three copies of an uncommon card which becomes stronger as a result of playing your planeswalker, and four copies of a common card with art that depicts that planeswalker in some respect. These four cards are exclusive to those planeswalker decks.

Your task this round is to design the unique cards to be included in a new planeswalker deck. That is,

• A mythic rare planeswalker card with a new planeswalker type.
  • A rare spell that can search for a copy of a card with that planeswalker card's name from the hand or graveyard.
  • An uncommon card that gets better as a result of having a planeswalker of that type.
  • A common card that tells somewhat of a story about that planeswalker.

This round closes on Sunday, 1/28 at 11:59 PM Central Time. Best of luck!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 pm 

Identity: Rubik
I guess the pairing system is different this time, but that probably doesn't matter too much.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Rubik wrote:
I guess the pairing system is different this time, but that probably doesn't matter too much.

Whoops, I goofed. Just fixed the pairings.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:13 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
Ah! Q: any chance we can push the deadline back a day or two due to GDS? I like spending all seven days on my submission and there's only so many YMtC hours in a day. No worries if not.

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

I think that's fair. You all have until 11:59 PM Central Time on Sunday to complete your submissions.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:42 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Reminder amid all the GDS madness that the semifinals end on Sunday at midnight!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:43 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I think I know the set of designs I want to post, but my head hurts and I don't feel like doing flavor right now

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:31 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

general note: because the criteria specified that this was for a planeswalker deck, I aimed for simpler designs to fit the new-player demographic targeted by those products. I attempted to do some interesting things in that space, but I stayed within the box because, again, that's the entire point of planeswalker decks.

Olek of the Deepest Roots-
Planeswalker-Olek (M)
: Draw a card. If it's a land card, you may reveal it and put it onto the battlefield tapped.
: Create a tapped 5/5 green Treefolk token.
: You gain an emblem with ": Create a tapped 5/5 green Treefolk token."

(note: yes, that first ability works as worded. proof: miracle.)

Eyes Among The Trees-
Sorcery (R)
Search your library and/or graveyard for a land card, a creature card, and a card named Olek of the Deepest Roots, reveal them, and put it into your hand. If you searched your library this way, shuffle it.
"He has watched over this forest for as long as any can remember. Olek must not fall."~Ethri of the Bent Branch

(note: remember, you can fail to find any part of that and still complete the rest of it.)

Olek's Warden-
Creature-Treefolk (U)
: Add to your mana pool.
As long as you control an Olek planeswalker, Olek's Warden loses all other abilities and gets +3/+3.
"Mana flows from his roots. The forest grows because Olek bids it so."
1/1

(note: werebear! I added the "loses all abilities" part as a bit of a balance in case cheaper Olek cards come along and also to encourage new players to attack once it beefed up.)

Gnarled-Branch Sentinel-
Creature-Treefolk (C)
Defender
: Gnarled-Branch Sentinel loses defender. (this effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
In times of great danger, the forest itself mobilizes to defend the Worldtree.
4/5

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Last edited by razorborne on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
:angel::party:

Honey Wine Angel
Creature — Angel
Flying
When Honey Wine Angel enters the battlefield, you gain 4 life.
"Revelry is just war with the mean bits taken out."
—St. Heather

2/3

Meadery Door-Guard
Creature — Human Monk
Vigilance
, : Remove target attacking creature from combat. Activate this ability only if you control a St. Heather planeswalker.
"There's only two problems, living at the Meadery: the drunken pilgrims, and the sober honey-bees."
1/4

Vintage of St. Heather
Artifact
Flash
, Sacrifice Vintage of St. Heather: Creatures you control get +1/+1 and are indestructible until end of turn. You may search your library and/or graveyard for a card named St. Heather, Heavenly Brewess, reveal it, then put it into your hand. If you searched your library this way, shuffle it.
The bottle's label is worn, written in an ancient script. But the mead inside still shines with golden divinity.

St. Heather, Heavenly Brewess
Legendary Planeswalker — St. Heather
+1: You gain 4 life. Untap each creature you control.
-3: Create a white Revel enchantment token with "Creatures you control get +1/+1."
-9: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your end step, create two 4/4 white Angel creature tokens with flying."
[6]

saints and symbols

Last edited by Johnny Valdez on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:24 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Still waiting on submissions from Rubik and Shaz.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:29 pm 

Miraculous Escape
Instant (C)
Up to two target creatures each get +1/+1 and gain indestructible until end of turn.
An instant from death at her own wedding, Kera found herself transported to an unfamiliar land. Why should Balo's fate have been any different?

Prized Memento
Artifact (U)
Sacrifice Prized Memento: Create two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens. If you control a Kera planeswalker, those creatures gain haste until end of turn.
When she escaped, Kera still held the wedding bracelet meant for Balo. She would have loved to give it to him someday, but the gold could fund a search party.

Balo's Witness
Creature - Human Soldier (R)
When Balo's Witness enters the battlefield, search your library and/or graveyard for a card named Kera the Lovelorn and reveal that card. If you searched your library this way, shuffle it, then put that card on top.
Kera chased after tales of extraordinary bravery. Sometimes she would trace one back to its source, only to miss the mysterious hero by mere days. But who else could it be?
2/1

Kera the Lovelorn
Legendary Planeswalker - Kera (M)
+1: Discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
-2: Kera deals 2 damage plus 2 damage for each artifact named Prized Memento you control to target creature.
-6: Sacrifice Kera, then create a legendary 5/5 red Human Wizard creature token named Kera and a legendary 5/5 white Human Warrior creature token named Balo.
[3]

Last edited by Shaz on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 am, edited 8 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:52 pm 

Identity: Rubik
Varra, Dealer in Fortune -
Legendary Planeswalker — Varra (M)
: Draw two cards. Discard two cards.
: Exchange control of two target permanents that share a card type.
: Shuffle any number of permanents you control into their owner's library, then exile that many cards from the top of your library. You may play any number of those cards without paying their mana cost for as long as those cards remain exiled.

Favor the Bold -
Sorcery (R)
Choose two target creatures. Favor the Bold deals 7 damage to one of those creatures at random. Then, search your library and/or graveyard for a card named Varra, Dealer in Fortune, reveal it, then put it into your hand. If you searched your library this way, shuffle it.

Varra's Dicers -
Creature - Faerie Rogue (U)
Flying
Whenever Varra's Dicers deals combat damage to a player, draw a card if you control a Varra planeswalker.
3/2
They take "rolling high" quite literally.

Varra's Enforcer -
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
When Varra's Enforcer enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to another target creature.
2/1
"You'll pay, one way or another."

Dicer has a nice double meaning

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

If the contestants would like to make any finals edits, they're welcome to do so. I won't be able to post the polls until tomorrow night.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I made a small edit to mine. Olek's tokens are tapped now a) for flavor and b) for balance.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:11 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

The semifinals are now closed. I'll have the polls up in about 20 minutes or less.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post