Who should ADVANCE to the semifinals?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:31 pm
Johnny Valdez 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
Silly 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13
Total voters : 13
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details

Johnny Valdez's Submission

Silly wrote:
Silly's Submission

The poll will remain open through Friday, January 19. Feel free to discuss and critique the submissions. I will hold my vote until the end in case if a tiebreaker is needed. Best of luck, Johnny Valdez and Silly!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 4 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:08 am 

Identity: Male
Alvaro - Nice guy. I like 'im.
Xana - I like that main ability. The rest of the card doesn't come together for me. Also the one where the flavour text is a little weird when seen in isolation.
The Crown - Now that's a prize! I like having the ability on an equipment more than on a creature. Platinum Angel can eat its heart out. And it was from the block where they debuted equipment too. :nonono:
The flavour texts showcase a lot of personality and it tells me a story too! I also like that I'm getting a feel for the set themes with these cards.

Volcanic Desire - The best approach to red card draw. Temporary and risky.
Molten Crescendo - A better approach to land destruction! If it was all like this, people wouldn't hate it. This card is about keeping the game from getting top heavy with big spells and such and it's really hard to abuse for other purposes.
Sprouting Ruins - i worry that this is too abusable. It's never that powerful, but it offers consistency to... unsavory strategies.
I can draw the lines from one flavour text to another and figure out the story, but I'm just not made to care in the same way.

I'm voting for JV.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:20 pm 

I really like Alvaro and all of JV's flavor text. His other cards don't do much for me.

Volcanic Desire is okay, although it's unclear when/how you take the damage. Sprouting Ruins is too nuts. And I think the flavor text works, but it's not as interesting as the other submissions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:54 pm 

Test User (1)
Sometimes, I feel like the "legendary" vs "creature" design space should be treated like "exile" vs "graveyard" design space....

or more specifically, don't make card that cares about legendary feels tribal.

JV's submission does exactly that. not that it takes away from the design or anything. It's more a personal design aesthetic.

I remember when i first saw pull from tomorrow spoiled. I was so stupidly happy. Made a thread here and everything praising how this card could've been designed a thousand times but it is still new. Sorry... rambling...

When I saw the red X spell, i almost have the same feeling with "oh i thought this would've existed" but less the excitement compared to pull from tomorrow. May be it feel like magic didn't really miss that card.

And the land ... my first instinct tells me that it's a bit on the strong side. But i have not really thought this through yet when i'm posting this. But a funny thought came to me: wouldn't be nice if the land is also legendary.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 am 

Johnny Valdez:
A thief that gathers other Thieves! That's pretty awesome. Everything about Alvaro is 100% on point for whatever story you're putting together. This guy is half Nick Fury, half Danny Ocean. Love it! I have a feeling that you started with this card in mind, and everything else worked off of that.

Xana is insanity. All non-legends are 0/1? Nasty. And Menace on an 8/6 to boot. Unlike Alvaro, Xana doesn't seem to have any connection between his/her ability and the flavour - I have no idea what this person's position or ability in the story is, just that he/she makes everyone else suck, unless they're also a legend. By the text, I think Xana is the one Alvaro is going after? Not 100% sure. If that's the case, Xana crushed basic people, but not Alvaro or, presumably, his gang.

The Crown gives any of your creature's Platinum Angel's effect, and if you have any legendary creatures, you get to equip it for free. Feels like, if this is a heist, that the crown should've require something a bit more difficult to grab a hold of. If this crown belongs to Xana (presumably? they share similarities in names, but I'm not sure), then how is she losing? Anyways, just feeling confused here.

Overall - This was so HOT right out of the gates, but instantly lost steam. The flavour on Alvaro is awesome, but Xana's doesn't make sense, especially if considered on its own without the context of the first card, and the same thing with the last one. This could've been an interesting idea for a Legends-matter set in that we focus on a small group of Ocean's-11 type Magic users in a small setting, but instead this became something else.

Silly:
I really like Volcanic Desire. You get something every turn, but you MUST use it, otherwise you get burned. Maybe should've been worded slightly differently, like "at the beginning of your end step..." just to point out when you take the damage from it, but good submission. Great choice for Valakut.

Molten Crescendo is a beast! Wildfire with X instead. I would dream of casting this for X=5 or more, and just seeing the world really burn! The flavour hits well with the previous card, and still works entirely on its own.

I didn't like Sprouting Ruins at first, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. You can tap it for , and you can play it from your graveyard, meaning that it's good in a number of self-mill decks, or to sacrifice. The flavour is a bit of a stretch on its own, and I wish that it was somehow tapping for instead (just to make this a full on-color cycle), but it still works.

Overall - I think your story is concise, to the point, and doesn't waste my time. Everything you're talking about shows up on the cards, and they play mostly pretty well together.

I'm happy giving my vote to Silly. Silly's submissions aren't as exciting as Johnny's, but they are simply designed but (from my perspective) and hit the round's requirements better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Less than 24 hours until the quarterfinals are over! If you haven't cast your vote yet, now's the time!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 4 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:05 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Congratulations to Johnny Valdez, who advances to the semifinals! Next round will be up by Monday, due to the GDS.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 4 Archive

Like this post