Who should ADVANCE to the semifinals?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:30 pm
razorborne 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
Knight Otu 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 13
Total voters : 13
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details

razorborne wrote:
razorborne's Submission

Knight Otu wrote:
Knight Otu's Submission

The poll will remain open through Friday, January 19. Feel free to discuss and critique the submissions. I will hold my vote until the end in case if a tiebreaker is needed. Best of luck, razorborne and Knight Otu!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
question: what is your policy on contestants voting? if Otu and I both vote for ourselves it shouldn't impact the results, but I wanted to ask publicly before I did that 'cause if I do and Otu doesn't then that's not fair.

also, relatedly, what's your opinion on contestants voting in the other threads? like, should I express an opinion on the Johnny v. Silly matchup?

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

I have no problem with you voting for yourself, and I have no problem with you discussing the other submissions in the other threads. Just try to be as objective as you can.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I have no problem with you voting for yourself, and I have no problem with you discussing the other submissions in the other threads. Just try to be as objective as you can.

ok cool

that's my opinion as well, but I wanted to make sure we were all on a level playing field here.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:39 am 

Meeting At The Mirror-
Sorcery
Search target opponent's library for up to three non-land cards with different names. You may cast them without paying their mana costs. Then that player repeats this process with your library.
The two watched each other, neither blinking, neither moving, neither one yet understanding the weight of this one instant.

Is in fact, however, not an instant...

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:12 pm 

raz: I don't like that your opponent can chain Meeting at the Mirror into other copies of Meeting at the Mirror. It just sounds like a huge pain to actually resolve the thing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:43 am 

razorborne:
Decipher the Runes encourages you to have big spells in your deck, which I guess hurts your deck, but it also can be a huge draw spell for only 3. I have to admit, I have no idea of whether this card is okay to exist or not. It could be broken, it could be useless, and I don't feel like I have any real way of knowing which side it's on.

Dear lord; Sowrn Shadowguard either wins on its own, or you lose because you cast it. That's pretty dire for a 5/4 with Menace. It can race well, and you can cast multiples of these to try and race faster, but this feels like something that's going to end badly whenever it sees play. Don't know if I like the play that this encourages.

For a whole lot of mana, you get their best 3 cards, and they get your best 3 cards. Either the rest of your library sucks, or you're hoping your opponent's deck is great. Again, this is really out there, like the other designs. Oh, and you forgot to have the libraries get shuffled afterwards. Tisk tisk!

Overall - I second card's flavour only makes sense in context of the other two, and not on its own, which is sad. The first and second cards have synergy together, but the last one doesn't. I'm kind of inbetween on this entire entry.

Knight Otu:
Welcome Aboard indeed! Give everything a kicker and you get bigger and meaner pirates. Yar! Seems to make sense. I think I'd like it more if the menace part was a "sac this to gain menace for 1 turn" effect, since the "em-biggening" portion of this card would be a fine effect on its own.

Destroy a creature by Tossing it Overboard. If you have 4 or more Islands, it's an Instant (effectively) instead of a Sorcery. Seems like this could've been a common rather than an Uncommon, and the massive amount of Islands (4 is a lot, like this won't have flash until at LEAST turn 5, and more likely turn 12+ in a Limited game). So, it's a fine card, but needed more polish.

This reminds me a bit of Fool's Demise due to the returning clause. I like that this doesn't return itself from the graveyard, but rather still replaces itself with a new card. Not too much to say here, since this is a good little card.

Overall - The first two cards tell me a great little story that also reflects their cards well on their own. The third one requires a fourth card that I don't see (an amulet) and says something weird that I don't understand at all in this context ("I don't exist"), but at least it comes back with the "elsewhere" bit. The cards themselves have zero synergy together.

I thought this would be harder to judge, but Knight Otu's cards are just better and I like his story more, so he got my vote. Only thing that made me consider razor was how his card's worked synergistically (somewhat).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:30 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Shaz wrote:
raz: I don't like that your opponent can chain Meeting at the Mirror into other copies of Meeting at the Mirror. It just sounds like a huge pain to actually resolve the thing.

yeah I hadn't considered that. it seems unlikely that, in a deck built around the card, your opponent would be incentivized to give you another crack at it, but it's certainly a possibility.

full disclosure I designed these cards while falling asleep and then wrote down what I remembered of them two days later. so it's not inconceivable that I didn't think through every possible interaction.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Less than 24 hours until the quarterfinals are over! If you haven't cast your vote yet, now's the time!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Congratulations to razorborne, who narrowly beat out Knight Otu to advance to the semifinals! Next round will be up by Monday, due to the GDS.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:23 pm 

Yarium wrote:
Overall - The first two cards tell me a great little story that also reflects their cards well on their own. The third one requires a fourth card that I don't see (an amulet) and says something weird that I don't understand at all in this context ("I don't exist"), but at least it comes back with the "elsewhere" bit.

My idea was that the third card's flavor text would be a teaser that makes the reader want to read more while not requiring to have more - Jorge and Mira clearly have ways to Cheat Death, much like Krohova must have had. Obviously, I failed there. Perhaps because I did post cards for Mira and Jorge previously, in the Planar Pirates contest a few years back. (The short of "I don't exist" is that Mira is the result of a magic spell gone wrong and is essentially a living illusion).

Like this post