Who should ADVANCE to the semifinals?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:30 pm
Riorvard 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Rubik 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 12
Total voters : 12
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details

Riorvard wrote:
Riorvard's Submission

Rubik wrote:
Rubik's Submission

The poll will remain open through Friday, January 19. Feel free to discuss and critique the submissions. I will hold my vote until the end in case if a tiebreaker is needed. Best of luck, Riorvard and Rubik!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I liked Rio's old cards more, with the dancing sisters. Still probably might have voted for Rubik, but this way it was a much easier decision.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:15 am 

Riovard:

I like Professor of the political. Restricting the card draw to being based on your opponent's hand is very cute. Many games will have this being Peek, but if your opponent doesn't kill it soon, it can get better. It can also do nothing, especially once someone gets Hellbent. There's a lot I like about this card.

Gaining control of someone after destroying their creature? Gaining control of people is something Wizards might be very cautious to do after the Emrakul kerfuffle. I like the unconditional creature destroying, and triggering a special ability based on "super threshold", but I dislike what that special ability does. Seems too easy to reach it.

Wow; steal stuff from their graveyard, and stay alive forever? Sign me up! I think this is pretty powerful, like Debtor's Knell, but at 7cmc, that's tough to get off. Still, is this too much for one card? Bring back Relic of Progenitus on your first upkeep (if you survive the turn) and you can't die unless they destroy this.

Overall - I think you should've skipped the first 2/3rds of Enduring Realm's flavour text. It would've worked just fine with "the second edge" part. I do feel the connection between the cards on a flavour level, and there's a weak connection mechanically too.

Rubik:
I love Soul Sisters, so adding a fourth one with Yellowbrook Priest is something I'd like to see. Feels like something that should've existed on Kaladesh. Strong entry.

A 4/3 for 6 that casts Threaten twice is really neat, and I like how you gain control of something with this during an opponent's turn if that's when they kill it. Might be slightly weak for 6 - I think you could've made it 5 and be just fine.

Somewhere between Divination and Foresee, which is a good spot to be. I also like how you have an extra cost here without it being an extra cost, meaning it's possible (even if unlikely) for your opponent to try and stop you, or for you to cast this and then sac a creature while it's on the stack. That's just some nice clean design. I think the only issue I have is shuffling your library - I'd have rathered the two other cards have been put on the bottom of your library or being exiled, as that prevents this card from slowing the game down. with needless shuffling.

Overall - The cards tell me a story about Draegar, but I only know it's Draegar from his card, and the two other quotes make 100% sense even on their own. There's some mechanical connection between the first two cards, but none with the third. Not 100% sure how you'd get there, but it'd have been nice to see that.

It was a tough choice between the two, but I have to give it to Rubik.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:32 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Less than 24 hours until the quarterfinals are over! If you haven't cast your vote yet, now's the time!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:05 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Congratulations to Rubik, who advances to the semifinals! Next round will be up by Monday, due to the GDS.

Like this post