It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:32 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details
Wild Card Participants
Top 7

Wild Card Round

First, I'm going to break from tradition a bit. In order to keep our Top 7 sharp and provide extra practice for those who are preparing for the upcoming GDS, everyone is welcome to participate in this round. I can't speak for Dudibus and Mown, but I will rank everyone who participates in the round. Obviously, only the people who qualified for the wild card round will have a chance at making it into the Top 8, but consider this my Christmas present to the forum. :)

Now on to the criteria. Design a common card to be included in a "world in the sky" themed set. Blurbs are welcome to explain context, but your card should carry the bulk of the weight in selling this world.

What brought this criteria about? The biggest problem I saw in the majority of submissions throughout the contest so far is that of inelegance. I wanted this round to encourage everyone to design a bit more simply and say more with fewer words of rules text. Elegance is the primary component of card design that I will be looking for this round.

Remember that the eligible contestant who ranks highest this round will claim the eighth spot in Top 8! You have one week from today to post your submission. I'll be closing the round on Friday, 12/29 at 7:30 PM Central Time. Best of luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 pm 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
Obvious Submission is Obvious

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:57 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Cloud Spider
Creature — Spider
Reach
: Add to your mana pool. If that mana is spent on a creature spell, that creature gains flying.
Awash in the wispy weavings of their weatherborne webs, the cloud spiders labor. Sewing hail, rain, or snow to suit the senses of the sky goddess, they mark the day in wondrous ways and leave the aven breathless.
1/3

The first question I ask myself, mechanically, when I think about a world-of-sky set, is: Should green get access to flying here? And I think the answer is yes, but that maybe they should have to jump through some hoops to get it. This is one of those little hoops.

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 pm 

Alright, Silly won, we all lost =___=

Spoiler

=___= Guess I will go with some morph variant thingy that is like some weird flash thing

Cloud Swimmer -
Creature - Serpent (C)
Submerge - . (You may pay and attach this card face-down from your hand onto a land you control. You may pay this creature's submerge cost to turn this creature face-up and put it onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Then, return the land it was attached to and all other face-down card attached to it to their owner's hand.)
Beware the cloud trails, where rows of sharp white teeth camouflages themselves with the scenery.
4/4

I imagine a sky kingdom where clouds are roads between floating landmass. There are stable roads but also roads that disappear and appear at whim. Landfall would be a returning mechanic here. If anyone is wondering why the serpent can't fly, well, think of the cloud as land mass of sorts. It is like wurms burrowing through dirt and soil, except these guys burrow through clouds. Flying is reserved for creatures and vehicles that could fly unrestricted like float-stone powered skyships.

Last edited by Confused on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:55 pm 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
Confused wrote:

Don't lose hope! I didn't even participate in rounds 1 and 2.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:10 am 

Student of the Crestrisen -
Atmospheric Creature - Human Wizard | C
Whenever you cast an Atmospheric spell, put a level counter on Student of the Crestrisen.
[Level 0-2] Prowess [2/3]
[Level 3+] Flying, prowess [3/3]
2/3

Notes:
  • Made some formatting as well as conceptual changes to level-up.
  • The first change is including Level 0 within the levels. It was confusing in the previous iteration, so this should clear it up.
  • The second change is conceptual - this card doesn't have a manual way to level it up, instead you gain levels through casting Atmospheric spells. This is meant to represent learning to navigate in the atmosphere and, for most of these designs, will include gaining flying or can't be blocked or something similar.
  • Power level: This card ranges from worse than Ingenious Skaab to better than Lotus Path Djinn, so it's squarely a common.
  • Atmospheric is parasitic. There, I said it.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:37 am 

Cloudworm - :1::g:
Creature - Worm (C)
Vertical strike (If this creature would deal combat damage to a player, you may redirect that damage to a blocking creature that player controls.)
"Always keep one eye on the sky above and one eye on the cloud below."
-Combat trainer

2/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:18 am 

Identity: Male
Confused wrote:

Spoiler

Rethink this one.

Even if the judges like Silly's card best, Silly isn't an actual contender this round.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:23 am 

Megalith Rider
Creature - Goblin Warrior (C)
Landbound (As this permanent enters the battlefield, attach it to a land you control. If that land leaves the battlefield, sacrifice this permanent.)
Whenever the land Megalith Rider is bound to becomes tapped, Megalith Rider attacks or blocks this turn if able.
2/2
"BIG ROCK DON'T STOP!"
- Roggo War Chant

For a world in the sky, flying and flying variants would be pervasive. However, there must be those that are unable to fly. They would be stuck on whatever they are standing on, dependent upon it to the same extent that fish are bound to the ocean. Of course, the incredible momentum of floating land masses can be useful.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:25 pm 

I once ran a d&d setting in such a world I called Sky Lanka. When i get home I'll make a common vehicle, a Sky Skiff:-)

EDIT: You know what? The Sky-Skiff doesn't feel quite right, so you can probably see it below for awhile (until it's hidden in a spoiler tag), but I'll probably make something else.

Last edited by Yarium on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:50 pm 

Works in Progress:

Spoiler

Seeker of the Streams |
Creature - Kor Scout (C)
Mountain Jetstream (Whenever a Mountain enters the battlefield under your control, the next spell you cast this turn costs less to cast.)
Seeker of the Streams, or a Vehicle it crewed this turn, attacks each combat if able.
[2/2]

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:58 pm 

Serra's Realm (REDACTED)

REDACTED, again

Send Aloft :w:
Instant
Return all creatures blocking or blocked by target creature with flying to their owners' hands.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:17 am, edited 8 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:51 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I will rank anyone in the spoiler block you provide me, and if some of those weren't supposed to be here, then I guess you tricked me

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:16 am 

Wake-Rider Wyvern
Creature – Wyvern
When Wake-rider Wyvern enters the battlefield, other creatures you control gain flying until end of turn.
It’s said that riding the winds of a wyvern’s wake is an experience like no other. Though, the same can be said of the inevitable chase when it notices you are there.
3/3

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 pm 

Identity: Unqualified
Swooping Empyrean
Creature - Bird
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may destroy target creature with power 1.
During the sightless nights of Vestraya, Kor children are plucked from ziplines like little stars extinguished in the darkness.
2/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:14 pm 

Ironarm Legionnaire
Creature - Human Warrior
Implant (When this creatures enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it or it gains flying.)
3/1
The accomplishments of the paternal bloodline determines which warriors get wings and which get extra hands.

(World-in-the-air wants lots of flyers, but as you add flyers to the set, flying becomes less valuable. i.e. in a set where every creature flies, flying is meaningless. Current percent of flyers is probably close to peak utility; substantially adding flyers just gums up the air and slows limited. Two solutions are to make flying only on your turn via sorcery speed activation or attack trigger, or make flying optional. This design lets you stop making flyers when they pass peak value and make ground-pounders instead. Also you can use +1/+1 counter theme in limited.)

(World-in-the-air is filled with crafters and wild animals with binary phenotypes)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:35 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

This round is closed. I'll try to get the compilations up tonight.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Added a blurb. Card is the same.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:29 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Wild Card Submissions With Names
Wild Card Submissions Without Names

Judges, rankings by next Thursday, please.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 pm 

Aw man I was too slow to change my submission.

Well gg honestly.

Like this post