It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:43 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details

Current Standings

Round 7

Another set of Pro Tour open entry rounds has come and gone, with all of its tension, scandals, and disagreements, as well as hopefully some interesting designs.

The number 7 is a symbol for completeness in many cultures. As we finish off the open entry portion of this contest, design a card that uses the number 7. This number is small enough to be realistic in normal Magic, but large enough to have a splash.

You have one week from today to post your submission. I'll be closing the round on Thursday, 12/14 at 7:00 PM Central Time. Best of luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Some Logistics

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 pm 

Divine is an ability word that unlocks a divine god or powerful ability as long as you control exactly seven permanents. This environment would have a number of abilities that allow players to donate or steal permanents, permanents that sacrifice themselves, blink-type abilities, etc.

Martyr of the Meek -
Creature - Human | U
Divine - , Sacrifice Martyr of the Meek: Create a white 5/5 God creature token with indestructible. Activate this ability only if you control exactly seven permanents and only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Prayers of the meek do not go unanswered.
1/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:21 am 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
submission

can i retroactively enter the first few rounds that i missed

Last edited by Silly on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:39 am 

Seven...

Using a converted mana cost of 7 would create a solid foundation but at the same time, it would be so obvious it's cheesy. Not only that, but it would also make for a card that modern would have trouble playing if it wasn't colorless.
Similar arguments can be made about the maximum hand size of 7.

There aren't 7 colors in MtG, so that is obviously thrown out of the window unless diving into silver-border territory which Q already stated that he doesn't want.

Q was smart and made sure that I can't literally submit a card called "the trash heap". I have zero chance at this and only half an ass of a chance at making something that would stagnate the top seven.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 am 

Xamin's Custom :4:
Legendary Artifact
:r:, :t:, discard a card: ~ deals 3 damage to target planeswalker or player.
"Keeps the standard-issue seven round magazine. Enough to kill a 'walker."
-Xamin Brown, starhunter

I don't expect anything.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 am 

Does the word seven count?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:07 am 

Okay... pressure's on! If I can nail this one, I get into the top 7. Buckle up buckaroo.

Works in Progress

Current Submission (subject to change):

Carnage Ultimatum |
Sorcery (R)
Each player discards their hand, then returns up to seven cards from their graveyard to their hand.
Jund's ecosystem adapts violently to changes. The merging of the shards just means more prey.

Card discussion: I'm imagining a Return to Alara type block. I loved the Ultimatums - they were very cool, very powerful, and really sold the concepts of their Shards. All except Jund, which felt powerful at "destroy three target permanents" with Violent Ultimatum, but didn't really capture the essence of Jund like Cruel Ultimatum did (and Cruel Ultimatum is one of my most favourite cards ever). Jund, to me, is all about violent adaptation. The strong survive by hunting the strong. The other shards employ armies or overlords, but Jund is the unrelenting and uncaring power of nature itself. The cycle effect here is red, and it marries the like abilities of Green and Black to return things from the graveyard to their hands. This gives you the seven strongest cards in your hand or graveyard, and crushes your opponent if they didn't have a good start (though is uncastable if your opponent's cards are well aligned against yours). The mana cost is very difficult though, so I don't think this will show up anywhere except the most dedicated Jund decks.

Last edited by Yarium on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:13 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Endgreeter
Creature — Minotaur Cleric (U)
Pay 7 life: Draw a card.
There are some for whom death can't come soon enough.
1/2

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:57 am 

Sedam, the Revealer
Legendary Creature - Angel Warrior
Flash, Flying
When you cast Sedam, the Redeemer, you may search the top seven cards of your library and put any number of creature cards with the converted mana cost of 1 or less found this way onto the battlefield.
"When the Light of Agum pierces the Gloomshroud of Rasheid, the new Chosen shall be revealed." - The Tome of Fates
7/7

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Silly, you can feel free to use criteria from rounds 1 and 2 to design for fun, but it's too late to officially submit cards for closed rounds. Doing so will not qualify you for the Wild Card round.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:04 am 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
unfair

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:47 pm 

Identity: Unqualified
Avyr of Unseen Splendor
Legendary Creature - Elemental
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice seven basic lands. If you do, search your library for seven nonbasic lands and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
"Little lamb, you have traveled so far, and yet you have seen so little."
3/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:18 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: she/her
I know I have no chance of qualifying, and I don't want to throw a wrench into anyone else's come-from-behind qualification either, so I suppose I don't want to be ranked. This one's just for fun. :)

Dregskimmer Acolyte
Creature - Zombie Cleric
~ can't block unless you return a creature you control to its owner's hand.
, Discard 7 cards: Target opponent searches your graveyard and/or library for 7 cards. Put them into your hand. If your library was searched this way, shuffle it.
Once a failure of imagination, forever an excuse to try again.
4/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 pm 

Layers of Meaning - :2::u::u:
Sorcery
Reveal the top seven cards of your library. An opponent puts one of those cards into a pile, two more of the cards into a second pile, and the rest into a third pile. Put one pile into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Dwarven Cottage
Enchantment
When ~ enters the battlefield, create seven 1/1 white dwarf tokens.
Tap seven untapped dwarves you control: target creature becomes indestructible until end of turn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:50 am 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
All Out Brawl --
Sorcery (R)

Target creature you control fights another target creature. If this spell's converted mana cost is greater than 0, that creature's controller copies this spell except that its converted mana cost is reduced by one. He or she may choose new targets for the copy.

When they took it outside, the tavern went with them.

==xx==

I know this is an annoying stretch, but the cmc is 7, and you didn't say that the card has to have 7 on it, just that it needs to use seven, and the first time the card is cast it uses 7 to check if it's getting copied. I initially had it worded differently and cost one less, but I wasn't sure if this worked:
"Target creature you control fights another target creature. Unless this is the seventh copy, that creature's controller copies this spell and he or she may choose new targets for the copy."
Mostly, what happens if someone casts Reverberate, let alone a few copies in (which is a decent strategy TBH).

This will likely change; it turned out to be more Un than I wanted, but it wasn't supposed to be.

My Cube | My Designs | My Blog | My Art
Creator of Max and Mill! Current strip: 1.3.1
Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:35 am 

Well, since I have to get into the wild card round.

The Seventh Council -
Sorcery
~ can't be countered.
Search your library for a legendary Wizard card and put it into the battlefield. Then, repeat this process for a legendary Advisor card, a legendary Druid card, a legendary Cleric card, a legendary Artificer card, a legendary Monk card and a legendary Shaman card.
Then, shuffle your library.
Exile ~.

Last edited by Confused on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 pm 

Septuplet of the Adamant Sword
Creature - Kithkin Knight
: Untap all creatures you control named Septuplet of the Adamant Sword. They get +2/+2 until end of turn.
A deck can have seven cards named Septuplet of the Adamant Sword.
3/1
"The seven sisters of Oneah weave their thoughts together like threads on a loom, and claim to see Amrou stitched upon that tapestry." -Onean cleric.

Last edited by Knifethrower on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:55 pm 

rocketnia wrote:
I know I have no chance of qualifying, and I don't want to throw a wrench into anyone else's come-from-behind qualification either, so I suppose I don't want to be ranked. This one's just for fun. :)
The more competitors to be ranked, the more people who can get 4 or 5 points (the top 15% of entries). So competing actually gives people a better chance to come from behind

Like this post