It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 pm 

I wrote all my answers yesterday and finished at 11:52 PM. I think some of my answers must have sounded pretty insane.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
Dr_Demento wrote:
Got it done, waited way too long to do it.

Anyone have any interesting answers? I think of myself as a fairly conservative designer and I found myself kind of going off the deep end.

+cycling evergreen

-defender evergreen

splice as the mechanic with the largest delta between potential and how it was first received, not because splice is an amazing mechanic but because it's pretty cool and was done absolutely horribly in kamigawa

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:20 pm 

I said +cycling, -double strike, channel.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 pm 

I had a three way argument for +Cycling, Raid, or Unleash. Remove Defender.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:50 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
+: Investigate (Cycling makes cards feel less important)
-: Search
Banding got a raw deal.

I thought all the evergreen keywords were pretty reasonable, but I saw search under the evergreen keywords list and thought it was within reason to replace. It would certainly be interesting to replace.

Banding came up because I think gang attacking is actually very intuitive, and it fills the important role of making two drops relevant in the late game.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:53 pm 

im not a big fan of raid because its an ability word. the word doesnt actually mean anything so it feels weird to have it as an evergreen mechanic.

i also dont like unleash because it involves +1/+1 counters, which restricts the ability to print designs that utilize -1/-1 counters because wizards doesnt like printing both types of counters in the same block

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:54 pm 

investigate is probably reasonable to print as evergreen

i decided on cycling because ub missing a keyword has been a long "problem" and i felt that cycling fit pretty well in ub

but im a big fan of clues as well and wouldnt mind them coming back permanently

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:56 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
Silly wrote:
im not a big fan of raid because its an ability word. the word doesnt actually mean anything so it feels weird to have it as an evergreen mechanic.

i also dont like unleash because it involves +1/+1 counters, which restricts the ability to print designs that utilize -1/-1 counters because wizards doesnt like printing both types of counters in the same block

Evergreen doesn't have to show up every set, unleash can disappear for the -1/-1 counter block.

That said, I'm a little wary of unleash because of the recent aggressiveness of limited formats. Unleash naturally makes blocking worse, and while that's fine, having it happen set after set can get tiring.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

+: Crew.
-: Prowess. (I can already hear the anger in your minds.)
Second chance: Investigate.

I didn't feel strongly that any evergreen keyword needed to go, but among all of them, prowess is one of the harder ones for new players. Having to remember prowess triggers can be annoying, and forgetting them is frustrating. Plus Monastery Mentor in MTGO is a problem.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 pm 

defender needs to go

there is literally no purpose for defender to exist on most cards because most cards with defender meet one of the following criteria:

1. they have 0 power

like why does wizards not allowed me to attack with Geist of the Archives but i can attack with Tasseled Dromedary? theres no real functional difference because im not attacking with my 0/4 anyways. and if a situation actually does come up where i should attack with my 0/4 derp, shouldn't i be rewarded for recognizing the nonintuitive play and doing it?

2. they can attack situationally, see Ogre Jailbreaker for example

you know how we could template that? like Desperate Castaways

"Ogre Jailbreaker can't attack unless you control a gate"

bam, simpler (one line of text instead of two) and doesn't add a drawback mechanic to a card just to remove it in the next line

------

i mean defender definitely makes sense on some cards, but i just dont think they need to go out of the way to slap defender on cards that dont need it just because the mechanic is evergreen. at that point you might start questioning why the mechanic is evergreen in the first place.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:28 pm 

Doing a really quick search, defender shows up on creatures with 0 power only slightly more than creatures with 1+ power. So it is relevant for the latter.

I do think it is a weak mechanic in terms of justifying its existence. It's also weird regarding things like Vigean Hydropon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:54 pm 

I could see defender getting unkeyworded. Walls are weird anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:32 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
+ Changeling; there's pretty much always going to be tribal themes in sets, and it would give an excuse to tribal deck builders to have something to look at in new sets without their preferred tribe. Also UB creature thing that isn't evasion.

- Prowess; when I have to wonder if an instant that just grants prowess would eat up complexity space at common...

bring back (solely off potential vs perception): Sweep. It still sucks, but it's actually a nice stabilizing set up mechanic to ensure continued Landfall or Retrace; not a swingy game ender. It's actually pretty fun in my slow play testing. Its major issue was lack of an active context to use it (Wisdom is a very inactive context; you don't do anything active with the lands in your hand.).

Crazy answer because I was sick of writing: The one change was set up rules for simultaneous play. That is, all players have the same upkeep/draw step. Main phases would either have to be separate or rotating priority on an empty stack. All players declare attackers simultaneously, etc.

Intentionally crazy answer to make sure something was memorable: Mtg's problem is that it has extraneous added complexity because combat is basically a separate rules system from the mana/spellcasting system (Multiple cards can do things simultaneously like attacking in combat, keywords like first strike only occur during combat, etc). It'd be fine, but combat doesn't match the intuition built up from other games in things like we can't directly attack creatures or that players/planeswalkers have a separate health system from creatures, etc.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
I was +Morph (given a reflavor, like "Ambush"), -Defender. I said -Defender for all of Silly's reasons and also because alone among evergreen keywords it is a drawback mechanic. The mechanic I thought deserved a second chance was all of Planechase

saints and symbols

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 pm 

I couldn't submit (not able to work in USA); any chance someone could PM me what this super-amazing-awesome essay thing was?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:06 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
I didn't enter because I have a life.

pffffffffffffffff HA

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:29 am 

Yarium wrote:
I couldn't submit (not able to work in USA); any chance someone could PM me what this super-amazing-awesome essay thing was?
Same for me

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:45 am 

Identity: Male
I really hope somebody from around these parts wins. Most of you are friends and even if you weren't it would lend this place some validity.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:21 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
TPmanW wrote:
I really hope somebody from around these parts wins. Most of you are friends and even if you weren't it would lend this place some validity.

if anyone here wins though they'd probably have to stop posting here for Legal Reasons.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:45 am 

razorborne wrote:
if anyone here wins though they'd probably have to stop posting here for Legal Reasons.

:duel:
I hope razorborne wins

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next