It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 am 

Tbh I wont be absurdly surprised if the threaten is common, if it is in a normal set, that is basically the worst signpost uncommon ever, it gives no direction and has a bad power level so it has to be printed in a multicolored set , now common can grant a creature it steals +2/+0 or trample(or menace), at 3 mana, and hexproof is basically inexistent text, add that the cost is not that pushed and seems quite close to what a common should do, if absurdly wordy.

Also it is probably green due to red not providing toughness buffs outside of +1/+1 counters on kill spells.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:21 pm 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
I think that one was a trick question. I picked haste-> double strike because the card would then be useless.

haste -> double strike is almost certainly the right answer for this reason

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:58 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
Silly wrote:
if you answered common on the threaten question i think you deserve to get that one wrong

theres no way that a multicolored threaten effect that grants 3 separate abilities is common

it's probably an uncommon though there is a reasonable argument for rare as well

It was a lot easier to say rare when the card had deathtouch instead of hexproof to go along with trample.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 am 

What did people think about the "Counterspell-based deck" question? I assumed that they meant control and chose the one about winning quickly when they had control but I could see them saying that a competitive control deck shouldn't just be counterspell-based.

For the 10 cmc question I put instant even though historically there has only been 1 enchantment above 8. I was thinking that most expensive instants can just be sorceries but now I am thinking that most expensive enchantments can just be big resilient creatures.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am 
YMtC Champ '12

What did people think about the "Counterspell-based deck" question? I assumed that they meant control and chose the one about winning quickly when they had control but I could see them saying that a competitive control deck shouldn't just be counterspell-based.

For the 10 cmc question I put instant even though historically there has only been 1 enchantment above 8. I was thinking that most expensive instants can just be sorceries but now I am thinking that most expensive enchantments can just be big resilient creatures.

I answered both the way you did. WOTC wants games to end, not drag on forever. When decks can rely on Stalking Stones and nothing else, the results are painful. As for the 10-drop, Enchantment and Instant seem the likeliest of choices. Creatures are so functional at any cost that making a giant common isn't difficult. Artifacts have a legacy of high costs; the lack of color restriction pushes them up. I think WOTC wants you to windmill slam your 10-drop. You didn't wait all this time just to wait even longer for the right opportunity. That's why I went with Instant. Funny enough, making something an instant naturally makes it cost more, but I think you'd rather just make the card more powerful. The enchantment pay off makes this is tricky. What lasting effect is big enough to cost 10 mana but simple enough to be a common? I can see it being the right choice.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
So! Something like 3000 people took the test. 94 will advance: anyone with a score of 73/75 or higher. Woof! Good luck to everyone. Emails going out tomorrow morning.

Source: https://twitter.com/maro254

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 pm 

I answered both the way you did. WOTC wants games to end, not drag on forever. When decks can rely on Stalking Stones and nothing else, the results are painful. As for the 10-drop, Enchantment and Instant seem the likeliest of choices. Creatures are so functional at any cost that making a giant common isn't difficult. Artifacts have a legacy of high costs; the lack of color restriction pushes them up. I think WOTC wants you to windmill slam your 10-drop. You didn't wait all this time just to wait even longer for the right opportunity. That's why I went with Instant. Funny enough, making something an instant naturally makes it cost more, but I think you'd rather just make the card more powerful. The enchantment pay off makes this is tricky. What lasting effect is big enough to cost 10 mana but simple enough to be a common? I can see it being the right choice.

For the counterspell based question, assuming WotC really means "slow, reactive control decks", then the answer is "ends the game quickly after establishing control". Evidence can be found in some of the play design articles they've been releasing lately. If we're talking about pure "draw-go" control though, which is another interpretation, then a good argument can be made for the "shouldn't exist" option, since WotC has stated that they never want to make pure "draw-go" a thing again.

For the 10 drop question, Enchantment and Instant are the most likely choices. My gut reaction was to put Instant, but after doing a gatherer search I decided to put Enchantment, because there are a lot more high cost instants than there are enchantments. Enchantments in general are hard to make expensive because they generally have permanent effects that for the most part don't require any activation costs, and are generally hard to interact with. At 10 CMC+, these effects have to be so huge that they're game warping. Though you can make good arguments for Instant as well, such as "why not just make your 10 CMC instant a sorcery instead".

Also, 73/75 is a pretty harsh cutoff, given how many questions were open to interpretation. If you made it, good luck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 pm 

So is the question, which card type is least likely to be on a ten mana common?

Enchantments are rarely common at any cost, because commons don't do global effects (e.g. Levitation) and they shy away from repeatable effects (e.g. Honden of Seeing Winds). The exception is auras. I guess in an evasion matters set you could have a really big ten mana aura? At least the opponent can be prepared for it.

Instant seems less likely to be the answer, but there could be an argument that a ten mana instant is too difficult to play around even if you know that it's coming. Think about the scenario where Might of Oaks gets played on whatever creature you don't block. Or else if it's a big removal spell and the game has dragged on that long you know it is gonna hit your bomb(s) and so you don't even want to play them from your hand.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 pm 

The question does not mention commons at all. Just which card type is least likely to appear on a CMC 10 card.

"You’re designing a card with a converted mana cost of 10. Which of these card types is it least likely to be?"

Possible answers are: Creature, Artifact, Instant, Sorcery, Enchantment

It's pretty obvious that Creature is wrong. Artifact and Sorcery are also probably wrong. There is some debate between Instant and Enchantment though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 pm 

My logic was instant because you’re not really valuing the instant speed as long as it costs > 7 or so mana. You’re either casting it in your own turn (a sorcery) or strongly telegraphing that you have the instant in hand by leaving up 7+ mana.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 pm 

Ok, instant sounds right then

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:45 am 
YMtC Champ '12

Forgot rarity wasn't part of the question. Actually makes Instant an even better choice.
Silly wrote:
Also, 73/75 is a pretty harsh cutoff, given how many questions were open to interpretation. If you made it, good luck.

Where'd you get that number?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:07 am 

Maro posted it on twitter

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:52 am 
YMtC Champ '12

Yeesh. Good thing I didn't sell the house.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:11 am 

I wonder if I was the only one that agonized on the mana drain vs. presence of the master question, presence had that awkward wording were casting enchantments is not explicitly forbidden leading to misplays, but could be a reasonable standard sideboard card, especially if you print it as an azorius card.
Meanwhile drain has had some variations being printed, but they saw fringe to no play and it looks like a 4 mana card that a control deck would fit as 1 or 2 copies in the list, leading to a turn 4 where a player is punished spectacularly if by chance the opponent had it, but that they can not really play around unless they have various low casting spells. Seems like the kind of high variance card that spike would hate to see pushed...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am 
YMtC Champ '12

Did not make it. Hopefully one of you fine folks did. Good luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:15 am 

i passed

for reference, here are my notes that I typed up while taking the test

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

i dont know which questions (if any) i got wrong, but at least 73 of them are right

EDIT: From conferring with other people, the questions I probably got wrong were 32 and 75.

Last edited by Silly on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:19 am 

Gj silly :).

Reading your answers I disagree with your reasoning for the Maro getting the curiosity effect, I concur that it should get it, but I feel that green can untap itself on attack because it is basically vigilance, but blue cards can't untap themselves for free, that either requires another card or maybe a serious mana cost to make it feel different from vigilance.

Also I had felidar as a slow flicker partly to not unnecessarily mess with limited balance later in the design, since all other changes would severely affect the power level of the card while flickering at end of turn only matters with some combos(double vehicle crewing, the guy that gives -3/-3 with revolt).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 am 

Reading your answers I disagree with your reasoning for the Maro getting the curiosity effect, I concur that it should get it, but I feel that green can untap itself on attack because it is basically vigilance, but blue cards can't untap themselves for free, that either requires another card or maybe a serious mana cost to make it feel different from vigilance.

Curiosity is obviously a blue/green mechanic, so it's clearly the best answer.

The untap effect could be stretched to work since blue gets self-untap and green gets vigilance, but it's not "really" vigilance and self untap isn't in green's part of the color pie (according to MaRo's latest color pie articles). This was probably the next best answer, if the curiosity effect wasn't also an option.

Also I had felidar as a slow flicker partly to not unnecessarily mess with limited balance later in the design, since all other changes would severely affect the power level of the card while flickering at end of turn only matters with some combos(double vehicle crewing, the guy that gives -3/-3 with revolt).

Slow flicker is best because the other "reasonable" answer (etb tapped) isn't really in white's part of the color pie.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:42 am 
YMtC Champ '12

Nice, Silly! Design something saucy.

I didn't have time to catalog my selections; I'll have to wait until the test is in front of me to figure out where I went wrong. Wish they'd send scores instead of just yes/no.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next