It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:04 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details

Current Standings

Round 5

When Ravnica was released over a decade ago, the Magic community beheld a new mana symbol for the first time in a long time. Hybrid mana was a smashing success, enabling players to comfortably slot hybrid cards into multiple colors of decks. For the first time, some multicolored cards were more flexible than monocolored cards.

In the same set, they released an interesting new keyword ability in Convoke, which allows players to use their creatures to help cast their spells. Essentially, all creatures can be mana dorks for Convoke spells — in other words, creatures became a new resource that could be used in place of mana.

Since then, we have seen several other new mana symbols and alternative ways to pay for things. We've seen Phyrexian mana, Improvise, energy, the formalization of colorless mana, and other executions.

Your task this round is to design a card that exhibits a new way to pay for spells or abilities. This can mean a number of different things:

• A new mana symbol
  • A keyword ability like Convoke that lets you use non-mana resources to pay for things
  • A new resource like energy counters
  • An effect like Delve that effectively turns other cards into a mana source

There are lots of possibilities. This is a very open prompt, so lots of things will qualify.

You have one week from today to post your submission. I'll be closing the round on Thursday, 11/16 at 9:00 PM Central Time. Best of luck!

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 4 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:11 pm 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt

*insert obsequious pandering toward parad*

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:28 pm 

Does it have to be worded "this costs less mana if you do x" or could it be worded "this costs more mana unless you do x" like Silvergill Adept?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 pm 

Library Guardian -
Creature - Human Wizard [U]
Mindtheft (You may exile cards from an opponent's graveyard as you cast ~. Each card you exile this way pays for .).
Vigilance
Whenever ~ attacks or blocks, target opponent puts the top 2 cards of their library into their graveyard.
"Knowledge, and not gold, seperates the aristocrats from the rabble."
1/4

Last edited by Ragnarokio on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:44 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

There has to be some sort of payment, whether it's exiling cards in your graveyard, tapping creatures, discarding cards, etc. It can't be a static effect where it costs less if you meet some criteria. We're talking resources here, not incidental benefits.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 4 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:51 pm 

There has to be some sort of payment, whether it's exiling cards in your graveyard, tapping creatures, discarding cards, etc. It can't be a static effect where it costs less if you meet some criteria. We're talking resources here, not incidental benefits.

How broad is this.

Like does suspend count? Technically you're paying the difference in mana with time, but suspend is a fixed tradeoff most of the time (you can't choose how much mana you pay vs how long the card is suspended for), so it can sort of be envisioned as a fixed discount of X on the card if you're willing to wait.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 pm 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
Don't look at my garbage:

My logic:

Osmosis Hydra --
Creature - Hydra (R)

You may remove X +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control rather than pay the in Osmosis Hydra's casting cost. If you do, gain X life.
Osmosis Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.

"Often referred to as the 'Heart of the Forest', these hydras are a sign of a healthy and dynamic environment."
-Notes from the Mondra Expedition-

0 / 0

My Cube | My Designs | My Blog | My Art
Creator of Max and Mill! Current strip: 1.3.1
Silver Soraka Main

Last edited by altimis on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 pm 

NOT MY SUBMISSION:
Would this card meet the criteria?

Brutal Savagery |
Instant
Target creature gets +3/+0 and trample until end of turn.
Mountain Leyline (You may exile this card from your hand instead of playing a land. If you do, search your library for a Mountain and put it onto the battlefield.)

----------------------------------

SUBMISSION WORKSPACE:

Freyjan Orchardist |
Creature - Human Druid (U)
Forest Leyline (You may play this card's reverse leyline side.)
Freyjan Orchardist gets +1/+0 for each Leyline you control.
[1/4]

//transform-flip//

Freyjan Orchard
Land - Forest Leyline (U)
(: Add to your mana pool.)
Freyjan Orchard enters the battlefield tapped.

*Rules-bits; A permanent card played for its Leyline side can be flipped or transformed whilst on the battlefield, and vice versa. If it leaves the battlefield, it'll return to its front side.
*Rules-bits; A non-permanent card played for its Leyline side cannot be flipped or transformed whilst on the battlefield. If it leaves the battlefield, it'll return to its front side, but then effects cannot return it to the battlefield.

explanation

Last edited by Yarium on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:50 pm 

machoke used submission

Hey look it's Ice Cauldron on a keyword. Mechanically this is sort of like Suspend meets Hostage Taker or something silly like that.

Last edited by Silly on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Silly wrote:

How broad is this.

Like does suspend count? Technically you're paying the difference in mana with time, but suspend is a fixed tradeoff most of the time (you can't choose how much mana you pay vs how long the card is suspended for), so it can sort of be envisioned as a fixed discount of X on the card if you're willing to wait.

I would say time counts as a resource, as long as you're in control of how much time you're using as a resource.

I would also say that your card fits the criteria.

Yarium, your card also fits the criteria.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 4 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:27 am 

Identity: Male
Could I do a card that doesn't require a certain method of payment, but rewards you for paying a certain way?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:52 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

TPmanW wrote:
Could I do a card that doesn't require a certain method of payment, but rewards you for paying a certain way?

The spirit of the round is to look for new resources, not to reward existing ones. I'm going to have to say no.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 4 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 am 

That didn't really answer my question. I want to know if Lightning Axe would meet this round's criteria.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:12 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Flopfoot wrote:
That didn't really answer my question. I want to know if Lightning Axe would meet this round's criteria.

It does not. Conditional cost reduction isn't a resource. Basically, I want you to come up with a new way to spend something.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 4 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Overheat
Sorcery
You may sacrifice any number of Mountains while casting this spell. Each Mountain you sacrifice pays for .
Overheat deals 5 damage to target player.
"If you can't stand the heat, don't be so delicious!"
said the dragon to the intruder.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:57 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Eater of Eternities
Artifact Creature — Juggernaut (M)
Eater of Eternities enters the battlefield tapped.
Trample, protection from instants
Each turn you skip after this one when casting Eater of Eternities pays for .
If Eater of Eternities would enter your graveyard, exile it and your graveyard instead.
Its churning onslaught is as inevitable as time itself.
13/13

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:42 am 

First Try

Simalek, Firstborn Venom
Legendary Creature - Elder Snake
All Out (You may exert any number of unexerted lands you control as you cast ~. ~ casts less to cast for each land exerted this way.)
Deathtouch
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may unexert all exerted permanents you control.
Simalek has been around since before the temple, the royal family, even the city itself. He is thought by some to be god of the native orchards.
4/6

Changes from first version: Slight name change as Royal Cobra felt a little lame to me.
2. upped to 10 mana.
3. Oppulence to All Out
5. Changed flavor text.
4. +1/+1

Last edited by CuriousHeartless on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 pm 

Shadowlurker Thrinax :cip::cip:
Creature - Lizard (U)
( :cip: can be paid either as or by gaining a dread counter. At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life for each dread counter you have. Sacrifice a creature: You lose 1 dread counter.)
Whenever Shadowlurker Thrinax attacks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each dread counter defending player has.
4/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 pm 

Bleh, a lot of the ones I really want to do end up nestling mechanics inside other mechanics.....this will take some thought.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:22 pm 

Viper Pact Recruiter
Creature- Human Snake Warrior (U)
Gouge (Your creatures can help cast this spell. Each creature you put a -1/-1 counter on while casting this spell pays for :1: or one mana of that creature's color.)
Creatures you control with a -1/-1 counter on them are a Snake in addition to their other types.
Snakes you control have deathtouch.
2/2
While each divine beast gathered mortals in its own way, Viper chose one of the more straightforward, if underhanded means of doing so. Unfortunately, by the time the mortal accepted the pact, the venom had already taken its toll on the new initiate.

As an aside, I was not aware convoke had "Your creatures can help cast this spell." as part of its official rules text until I started developing gouge.

Like this post