It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:46 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details

Current Standings

Round 4

Throughout the great planar tour that has been the last year and a half of new Standard-legal Magic sets, we have become acquainted with several new creature types. On Kaladesh, we met the Aetherborn, beings of Aether with remarkably short life spans. On Amonkhet, the long-forgotten creature type of Jackal finally got up on its hind legs and took on a humanoid form. Also on Amonkhet, we saw mono-white Zombies for the first time ever. On Ixalan, we got the long-awaited Dinosaur creature type in all of its Timmy glory.

As great as it is to be introduced to new tribes and classes in Magic, it's very difficult to give each its own feel and identity. Dinosaurs, for example, feature the Enrage ability, which triggers when the creature takes damage. I'm sure dinosaurs get angry when they're hurt, but doesn't everything else? Each and every Dinosaur card in Ixalan could have been a Beast or Wurm on any other world, which can make the Dinosaur identity feel flimsy on paper without art and flavor text to support it.

You have two options for this round (one of them kind of fulfills the other).

• Design a creature card that features a brand new creature type.
  • Design a creature card that introduces a creature type that already exists in Magic to a color that has never before had a creature of that type. If your card is multicolored, the creature type must be new to all of those colors. You can ignore Changelings and Mistform Ultimus.

Your biggest challenge this round will be to sell the feel of the creature as a creature of that type without using any artwork. You'll likely need to leverage flavor text to accomplish this. However, don't discount the power your card's mechanics can have in selling the creature type as well.

It should go without saying that this round, card rendering or including artwork with your card will disqualify your entry, as it will give your submission an unfair advantage.

You have one week from today to post your submission. I'll be closing the round on Thursday, 11/2 at 11:00 PM Central Time. Best of luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:29 pm 

Ninja...

I tried making green ninja. I'll try again.

I distinguish ninja from typical rogues by the increased importance in physical fitness and formalization/traditions surrounding their training. Rogues don't need to train, don't need to be intellectually or physically fit, and don't need to be professional about their work. Ninja need to be somewhat fit both in mind and body, need to be professional, and the most creature-type defining aspect of ninja is that they need to be trained through some formal or traditional means.

Rogues tend to not be trained professionally, traditionally, or formally in their craft, while ninjas are. Ninjas can also do more than simple assassinations unlike assassins, as they engage in guerrilla warfare and espionage, like rogues.

Anyways, enough chat, make a card, eh?

Jukai Stalker
Creature - Fox Ninja
Hexproof
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter onto ~ and have target creature attack or block this turn if able.
1/2
Some denizens of the Jukai forest trained in endurance and survival skills in light of Higure's subversive tactics.
They even ate a vegetarian diet, to avoid body odor, and teach these techniques to their children.

v3

v2

v1

Foxes sometimes are actually omnivores in real life. Neat.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:39 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Mana Mice
Creature -- Mouse
Whenever mana empties from an opponent's mana pool, you may create a 1/1 green mouse token.
1/1

Last edited by arathinius on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:55 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

A minor clarification, since it's still early in the round and this may be a loophole people try to exploit that gets away from the spirit of the criteria: If you're considering a creature type that is covered by a clear precedent (for example, grasshoppers instead of insects), please don't unless you have immense flavorful basis for doing so (for example, breaking dinosaurs off from lizards).

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 am 

Shard Shepard
Creature - Spider Cleric
Vigilance
:t:: If target permanent with converted mana cost 1 or less would leave the battlefield, exile it instead, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
1/3
Kelk latched onto the bone of the World That Was, pulling it and himself from the void. Together, they returned to the Great Web, to build the foundation of the new world.

Not sure how much supplemental information we can get away with here, but the basic idea is that the plane used to be a whole planet, but it shattered. Now it resembles and an asteroid belt, surrounding the plane's sun. The white spiderfolk are trying to keep as much of it as possible from floating away.

Last edited by YingLung on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:33 am 

A minor clarification, since it's still early in the round and this may be a loophole people try to exploit that gets away from the spirit of the criteria: If you're considering a creature type that is covered by a clear precedent (for example, grasshoppers instead of insects), please don't unless you have immense flavorful basis for doing so (for example, breaking dinosaurs off from lizards).

Technically I didn't break off a creature type that was covered by clear precedent (ninjas already existed)...

Would using Bard also count as something worthy of disqualification? Because like Ninja, it's pretty close to Rogue. I actually hope not...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:18 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Technically I didn't break off a creature type that was covered by clear precedent (ninjas already existed)...

Would using Bard also count as something worthy of disqualification? Because like Ninja, it's pretty close to Rogue. I actually hope not...

That wasn't directed at you — just a general statement before people solidified their designs. Green ninjas are fine. Bard also seems distinct enough to warrant its own type.

In general, just use common sense, please.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 am 

Torcher of Tomes
Creature - Human Rebel (R)
If an instant or sorcery card would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead. Torcher of Tomes deals 2 damage to that card's owner.
"No longer will this city tolerate the Coven's rule. Let their law books and spellbooks burn alike!"
2/2

Last edited by Shaz on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:22 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Curator of Curiosities
Creature — Human Merchant (R)
: Create a colorless Treasure artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add to your mana pool."
, Sacrifice a Treasure: Draw a card.
, Discard a card: You gain 3 life.
"I don't do it for the money. I do it for the look on a customer's face when I sell them the greatest thing they've ever beheld. But the money is a nice bonus."
0/3

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:30 am 

Identity: Unqualified
Cairn Guardian
Creature - Spriggan (U)
Defender
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you don't control: Guardian of Cairnewood Ruins loses defender until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.
"If you see a pile of stones in the middle of nowhere with some shiny gems on it, for god's sake do NOT take any. There are better ways to die."
7/7

Spriggans! I like the flavor of passive treasure guardians that only attack when provoked translating into the mechanic of defender creatures that can attack when you give the enemy an advantage (treasure).

I wanted to make it but I think that would require set justification. a 7/7 for 5X without context is way more justifiable in than /

Old entry

Last edited by Malikot on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:58 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Redacted ... for now.

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:18 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Unfortunately, Chromanticore is a manticore of all colors, and so technically there has been one of every color. You'll have to pick another creature type.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:39 am 

Identity: and nobody gets hurt
submission

this round brought to you by sleepy times

I wanted to pick a tribe with a strong mechanical identity already, and envision what that tribe would be like in a different color.

Last edited by Silly on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:57 am 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
So now that my mind has had some thoughts thunk through thinking, I can erase my satirical post.

That being said, I am already doubtful of my submission, but I want Rats to expand. I understand why they maintain a solid black preference, but rats do have other characteristics outside just the disease and famine. But finding a way to expand on that and keep it able to feed off the disease and famine led me to one obvious choice. Green.

Things I like about green rats. It leaves open some nice BG flavor for rats. I think it would focus more on a rat colony, than the disease aspect. There happens to be a rodent in green that can easily be replaced by green rats (my heart goes out to you squirrels <3 ).

How, however, do you convey a green rat utilizing this? Tokens, is an obvious albeit copout choice, but this is fed into my final design. What's something green does, that green rats should be able to do. I like the concept of a rat swarm, but black is so heavily fed into this especially with Relentless Rats and Pack Rat, but again, this helps feed the design (plus it combos well with tokens). Finally, I like that rats can slink around individually, but can be destructive in a swarm. Things some other creatures have that I think would go on rats are some of the wolf mechanics they utilize. Things like certain powers can't block, and +1/+1 for each creature etc.

I had a great non-creature card to help with this, but alas I had to design a creature card to do this. I'm not overly thrilled with the design, but I tolerate it. Sorry for the late submission.

My first submission, before I realized it needed to be a creature:

I hate myself because of the tokens, but I see Green rats as the rats of life, of swarm, compared to the black rats where they are of death.

Scavenger Pack-Lead --
Creature - Rat (R)

At the beginning of each end step, if a permanent was put into a graveyard this turn, create a 1/1 green Rat creature token.
, Sacrifice a permanent: Create a 1/1 green Rat creature token.

Where did you expect them to go, if not in hiding?
1 / 2

My Cube | My Designs | My Blog | My Art
Creator of Max and Mill! Current strip: 1.3.1
Silver Soraka Main

Last edited by altimis on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:05 am 

Farwing Thunderbird
Creature - Phoenix (R)
Flying
When Farwing Thunderbird enters the battlefield, tap up to four target creatures.
If Farwing Thunderbird would die, instead exile it until you play a land.
"The twin planes of Pex Caral have long waxed and waned in a cycle. Now it seems Pex is dying as Caral grows ever hungrier. But is it truly a death, or a rebirth like that of the thunderbirds?"
-Aljantes Dawnoak

4/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:55 pm 

Eye of Surveying |
Creature - Eye (U)
Flying
Whenever Eye of Surveying deals combat damage to a player, you may look at that player's hand.
Name a non-land card, sacrifice Eye of Surveying: Target opponent reveals his or her hand hand. For each card revealed with the chosen name, draw a card.
[1/1]

Spoiler

Last edited by Yarium on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:44 pm 

Aww, preadatordetector beat me to ninja....

"First Idea"

Oh well, Eggs aren't really that supported anymore, and the only card the Gatherer believes is still an Egg is Red, so....

Unattended Egg
Creature – Egg (U)
When Unattended Egg dies, you may reveal the top six cards of your library. If you do, put a creature revealed this way onto the battlefield tapped and the rest of the revealed cards into your graveyard.
Lone eggs found in the Shadowbraid Woods are best left alone. Whatever hatches is always sure to be hungry.
0/4

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:53 pm 

altimis wrote:
Magic has hounds. Let them bring in Dogs too.
The way I see it, hounds are more combat focused (hunting, dealing damage etc.) and dogs are more friendly and support focused (granting abilities, keeping creatures alive). Thus soul bond is the best way to represent this kind of relationship.

Plus if other creatures give them food, they will follow them for life... or until someone else gives them food. This is perfect dog.

*woof*

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:39 pm 

i like wendigos and they are probably a niche enough mythological creature that they could get their own creature type to help convey their identity in the context of the sets they appear in (i guess otherwise they might be zombies or horrors or spirits or some other mishmash of vague occult creaturetypes)

Matron of the Deep Night -
Creature - Wendigo [M]
Menace
Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on each Wendigo creature you control.
, Sacrifice a creature: Target wendigo you control fights target creature.
The Deep Night comes once a year. A time when the sun abandons us, leaving all manner of terrible things to fester in the shadows, but the most terrible among them is hunger." - Amaqjuaq, Storyteller
4/2

In this hypothetical set wendigos would be mid to high cost black creatures that generally get stronger when things around them die (representing cannibalism, scavenging, and consumption of life in general). They'd usually have higher power than toughness, and should convey the vibe of hungry aggressive cannibal creatures. In an effort to convey as much of that as possible in one card I chose to make a lord, but in the long term although I think wendigos work better with a sprinkling of them in sets from time to time, similar to sirens or gorgons, rather than having a consistent tribal identity, although that's not to stop them from getting love every now and then when they're featured predominately in a setting.

Last edited by Ragnarokio on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:27 pm 

*consults random list*
I choose Faerie. Card coming.

Like this post