It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [DRD] All the mythics
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:29 pm 

I know I've posted some of these before, but some of them have changed since then and I forget which exactly, so why not just throw all of them out there now

Spoiler

Apocalypse Herald
Creature - Dragon
Flying
Whenever a player draws a card or casts a spell, that player sacrifices a permanent.
Whenever a creature attacks or blocks, its controller sacrifices a permanent.
8/8
The end will come on wings of fire.

Spoiler

Arkadi, Dragon of Eternities
Planeswalker - Arkadi
: Hoard 1. (Create a tapped Treasure artifact token with “, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool”.)
: Add to your mana pool.
: Add twenty mana in any combination of colours to your mana pool. This mana doesn’t empty from your mana pool as steps, phases and turns end.

Spoiler

Aurora Dragon
Creature - Dragon
Flying
If you would create one or more Treasure tokens, create twice that many Treasure tokens instead.
Sacrifice seven Treasures: Take an extra turn after this one.
4/3
The night sky is its lair, and the stars are its hoard.

Spoiler

Dracolich
Creature - Zombie Dragon
Flying
When Dracolich enters the battlefield, put target non-Dragon creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. It’s a Thrall in addition to its other types.
Dracolich has indestructible as long as you control a Thrall.
Sacrifice a Thrall: Draw three cards.
8/8

Spoiler

Dracoshifter
Creature - Dragon Shapeshifter
You may have Dracoshifter enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it’s still a Dragon, gets +2/+2, and has flying and “: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn”.
0/0
Alden himself fell to his knees, all hope lost, as his once-trusted captain Gesc sprouted wings.

Spoiler

Dragon's Counsel
Sorcery
Target player loses half his or her life, rounded up, then draws cards equal to the life lost this way.
With near endless life comes near endless power, commanding a near endless price.

Spoiler

Exalted Skylord
Creature - Dragon
Flying
Creatures can’t attack you or planeswalkers you control unless their controller pays for each of those creatures.
Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, Exalted Skylord deals 2 damage to that creature.
6/6

Spoiler

Khoreth, Bahed Commander
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Warrior
Haste
Armoured 3 (This creature enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it. If it would be destroyed while it has a +1/+1 counter, instead remove all damage and a counter.)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield with three additional +1/+1 counters on it. It gains haste until end of turn.
3/3

Spoiler

Silent Sword
Artifact - Equipment
When Silent Sword enters the battlefield, destroy all creatures.
Equipped creature gets +4/+4 and has indestructible.
Equip
“Some weapons, no mortal was ever meant to wield.”
—Vyrios

Spoiler

Tomb of the First King
Legendary Artifact
Indestructible
You don’t lose the game for having 0 life or less.
When your life total is 0 or less, exile Tomb of the First King. If you do, create a legendary 7/7 black Zombie creature token named The First King. It has armoured 1 and “You don’t lose the game for having 0 life or less”.

Spoiler

Udiil, Dragoncaller :rg:
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman
Whenever you cast a creature spell, you may pay . If you do, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.
1/1
“While Alden and Khoreth were busy playing at war, I was labouring to free the true masters of this world.”

Spoiler

Vinewoven Dragon
Creature - Elemental Dragon
Reach
Vinewoven Dragon enters the battlefield with three times X +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0
Despite their threat, the dragons gave the druids of the Jadegrove inspiration for new and improved defences.

Spoiler

Vyrios, Divine Guardian
Planeswalker - Vyrios
: Create a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying. At the beginning of your next upkeep, exile it.
: Return target creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
: You get an emblem with “Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, create a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying”.

Spoiler

Vyrios's Last Hope
Creature - Angel
Cast Vyrios’s Last Hope only if you have 5 life or less.
Flying, lifelink
Vyrios’s Last Hope can block an additional creature each combat.
5/5

Spoiler

Willbreaking Glory
Sorcery
Gain control of all creatures.
“Look to the skies and see the majesty of the greatest creature to grace land and air. How can you not fall to your knees and renounce your self-styled kings beneath such true power?”
—Udiil, Dragoncaller

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:41 pm 

Busted: Aurora Dragon (4 power in the air with a really good ability)
Extremely Dangerous: Arkadi, Dragon of Eternities

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:24 am 

Blue has been getting 4 mana 4 power fliers for a while now. Compare Argent Sphinx or Curator of Mysteries - abilities that are less powerful than Aurora Dragon, but much more consistent. That swinginess befits mythic, I believe. That said, perhaps just making one additional Treasure would be safer.

Arkadi was originally a 5 drop with 5 starting loyalty, but testing proved that to be atrocious. I haven't tested this version yet, but I will keep an eye on him. It's entirely possible I overcompensated, perhaps a 4 drop with 3 loyalty is the way to go, making him comparable to Channel the Suns.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:22 am 

Identity: Male
These are pretty awesome and deserving of mythic rarity.

I don't like how Apocalypse Herald essentially stalls the game if no one has a removal spell, and turns into a crappy edict if someone does. I would like it better if it just made everyone sacrifice permanents when it entered the battlefield or attacked. More boring, maybe, but I think it would make for better gameplay.

I think it's interesting how Arkadi is pure ramp. I would like it to have a mana sink ability though. Maybe its ultimate gives you an emblem that lets you turn mana into Lightning Shriekers.

Dracolich is crazy guaranteed value, which is even more apparent when compared to Apocalypse Herald. I don't think there's any problem with it, but it does show how much Apocalypse Herald needs retuning.

Dracoshifter is great. Nominating for CotW.

Exalted Skylord is another one of those "stonewall" cards, but it feels better than Apocalypse Herald because it's only a 6-drop (so it doesn't feel as bad when it gets removed) and there's no penalty for attacking with it (so it's more likely to end the game if not stopped). I still don't like it though.

Khoreth is very scary, but he's an 8-drop so whatever.

Tomb of the First King is awesome. It could be a double-faced card.

Udiil is also awesome.

Vyrios is a cool top end for white weenie decks. His +1 and -8 don't seem to fit his playstyle though; I can't see them ever being used. Maybe his +1 could be a weak offensive combat trick like giving target creature first strike, and his ult could be moved to -6 or -7 and changed to create a bunch of Angel tokens.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:40 am 

I don't like how Apocalypse Herald essentially stalls the game if no one has a removal spell, and turns into a crappy edict if someone does. I would like it better if it just made everyone sacrifice permanents when it entered the battlefield or attacked. More boring, maybe, but I think it would make for better gameplay.
I kind of like how the constant stream of sacrifice gives off a "the world is crumbling around us" feel, but fair point. Maybe one big sacrifice would work better. Perhaps ETB, everyone sacs half their stuff? Or half their nonland stuff, but you choose what, a la Tragic Arrogance?

Quote:
I think it's interesting how Arkadi is pure ramp. I would like it to have a mana sink ability though. Maybe its ultimate gives you an emblem that lets you turn mana into Lightning Shriekers.
That would make the ultimate a little wordy, but perhaps changing the middle ability into a mini-emblem, like Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, that involves a mana sink somehow. Then again, with a way to immediately spend the mana, the extra Upwelling text might not be necessary. I'll think on it.

Quote:
Vyrios is a cool top end for white weenie decks. His +1 and -8 don't seem to fit his playstyle though; I can't see them ever being used. Maybe his +1 could be a weak offensive combat trick like giving target creature first strike, and his ult could be moved to -6 or -7 and changed to create a bunch of Angel tokens.
The idea behind Vyrios was "guardian angel" - I'm not sure an offensive +1 would work well. Perhaps making the ult just make an Angel for each creature you control would work better? The +1 still might not mesh with that playstyle, but it's a way of working up to an ultimate that does.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:57 pm 

Identity: Male
I rather like Apocalypse Herald's shtick. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it fills a niche and does it with style. It's a combo card- a finisher in a weird sort of prison deck that forces opponents to do things that it punishes them for doing.
I would lower the cost. 8 mana is a lot for something that doesn't do much on its own. (I suppose it can attack well, but at 8 mana I want a fattie that doesn't undermine me for swinging for damage). THe card seems like it could have gone in white if you wanted. It's certainly not triple red anyway. I'd lower the mana cost. I'd do it even if you figure that requires lowering the stats.
I think punishing card draw might be too much. I'd stick to just casting spells. I might be wrong though; it might just force players to make their moves sooner rather than later. Testing will be required to solve that one.

Arkadi is way too good. Channel the Suns costs you mana on the same turn you get mana, so you never ramp more than one mana a turn. Arkadi lets you "waste" turn 3 to ramp yourself +5 mana on turn 4. If you hit all your land drops and also cash in the treasure token it makes, you'll have 10 mana to end the game with on turn 4.
The only way that wouldn't be broken is too be very inconsistent, which is more of a format-level concern, or to be in a format too fast for turn 4 to matter.

Aurora dragon's first ability is cool.
Aurora dragon's second ability is pure mythic- a game-changing goal to strive for. It synergizes well with the first ability of course.
Overall, I'm not sure that the abilities, in conjunction with solid stats are too much. It's borderline.

Dracolich is nearly perfect.

The rest are more than I want to comment on at the moment.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:39 am 

TPmanW wrote:
I rather like Apocalypse Herald's shtick. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it fills a niche and does it with style. It's a combo card- a finisher in a weird sort of prison deck that forces opponents to do things that it punishes them for doing.
I would lower the cost. 8 mana is a lot for something that doesn't do much on its own. (I suppose it can attack well, but at 8 mana I want a fattie that doesn't undermine me for swinging for damage). THe card seems like it could have gone in white if you wanted. It's certainly not triple red anyway. I'd lower the mana cost. I'd do it even if you figure that requires lowering the stats.
I think punishing card draw might be too much. I'd stick to just casting spells. I might be wrong though; it might just force players to make their moves sooner rather than later. Testing will be required to solve that one.
Yeah, I might change the stats on Apocalypse Herald, if for no other reason than to avoid having two 5CCC 8/8 fliers, and I'd rather keep those stats on Dracolich than on Herald.

Quote:
Arkadi is way too good. Channel the Suns costs you mana on the same turn you get mana, so you never ramp more than one mana a turn. Arkadi lets you "waste" turn 3 to ramp yourself +5 mana on turn 4. If you hit all your land drops and also cash in the treasure token it makes, you'll have 10 mana to end the game with on turn 4.
The only way that wouldn't be broken is too be very inconsistent, which is more of a format-level concern, or to be in a format too fast for turn 4 to matter.
It's not that fast, but skipping turn 3 is quite an investment. Still, I think I did overcompensate on this guy. I might change him up entirely into something new, though I like the idea of the ult.

Like this post