It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:04 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

Contest Details

Current Rankings

Round 2

In recent years, we have seen the multiverse of Magic go to all kinds of different places. We have visited Ravnica, a metropolis divided into guilds, ruled by intricate law, and overtaken by urban expansion. We have seen Zendikar nearly destroyed by the Eldrazi, beasts contained by highly complex networks of hedron structures. We witnessed the shining plane of Kaladesh, rife with liveliness, technology, and invention.

As the world of Magic expands, the planes seem to be becoming more and more complex and intricate. Colors are evolving and taking on new nuances and functions previously unavailable to them. Technology seems to be taking on a greater role in shaping these new worlds.

Let's go back to basics for a bit. Our next stop in the multiverse will be largely undeveloped and primitive (no, I'm not talking about Ixalan). Think Neanderthals, hunting and gathering, and nothing more complex than a wheel. Your task this round is to design a monocolored white, blue, or black card that captures one aspect of this primitive plane.

Why no red or green? Because we already know that primitivity comes very easily to those colors. It is more challenging to capture the natural state of the colors that strive to make the game more complex.

You have one week from today to post your submission. I'll be closing the round on Friday, 10/6 at 12:00 AM Central Time. Best of luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:51 am 

Farseek
Venture

Sorcery (U)
As an additional cost to cast ~, reveal a land card from your hand and put it on top of your library.
Scry 2, then draw two cards.
The first step in discovering the new world is to leave the old one.

DANG IT THE NAME EXISTS ALREADY. Working on a new name.
EDIT: New name.
EDITed again to make it a card actually worth playing.

Last edited by resdamalos on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:13 am 

Whitebeach Scavenger -
Creature - Crab [u]
, discard a card: Choose one: Draw a card, or put two +1/+1 counters on ~.
"The ability to make the most of your environment can easily outperform brute force and savagery."
1/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:14 am 

Story Painter
Creature - Human Shaman (U)
When Story Painter enters the battlefield, put a painting counter on target land you control.
Lands you control with painting counters on them have ", : Draw a card."
Her cavern walls serve as the tribe's memories.
2/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:43 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Wild Horse
Enchantment — Mount (U)
Ride 1 (Tap a creature you control with toughness 1 or more: This Mount becomes an enchantment creature until end of turn.)
As long as the creature riding Wild Horse is red, Wild Horse gets +1/+0 and has haste.
"My brothers say the geese are freest—that neath their weathered wings lie landscapes like a dream in harvest. But give me for a thousand moons the horses' thundering hooves over their soiled feathers! To feel the wind flow out beneath me is nothing compared to that ecstatic gallop, the earth like lightning beneath my feet."
—Mayala of the Sweetened Words

2/3

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:08 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Yellow-Bellied Vermin - 1B
Creature - Rat
B: Yellow-Bellied Vermin phases out. (While it's phased out, it's treated as though it doesn't exist. It phases in before you untap during your untap step.)
Survival of the fittest does not necessarily exclude survival of the cowardly.
[1/1]

Jusrification:

Will-o'-the-Wisp except more about evading death rather than withstanding it.

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:06 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Headhunter
Creature -- Human Warrior
Hunt (When a creature dealt damage this turn by ~ dies , add one mana of any colour to your mana pool. This mana only empties from your mana pool at the end of your turn.)
When ~ blocks or becomes blocked by a human, it gains deathtouch until end of turn.
2/2

Some vague ideas about how this fits into a bigger picture:
- I think Hunting vs gathering would be a nice theme in this set. I see hunting as and gathering as . Would probably want to do something so that doesn't appear twice.
- I think 'man vs nature' could be another theme to explore, so humans become important.
-- Parasitic on that is a 'man vs man' theme, to heighten the sense of a state of nature and a war of all against all.
-Unrelatedly, I think this'd be a great set for level up to come back and maybe on non-creatures too, to represent gradual advance in technology and skills.

Last edited by arathinius on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 am 

Riverman's Lesson |
Enchantment - Aura Skill (U)
Enchant creature you control.
Enchanted creature has +1/+1 and hexproof.
, Sacrifice Riverman's Lesson: Return target skill from your graveyard to the battlefield. (It enters the battlefield attached to a creature you control.)
The river teaches patience. There is a way around any obstacle.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 am 

spring

Winter
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player puts a creature they control on top of its owner's library.
The winter season brings starvation and misery; those who don't have shelter and supplies - doomed to wander, and trust their lives to the wind.

fall

The following cards are illegal for this contest:
autumn

summer

Last edited by preadatordetector on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:44 am 

Springplain Prancer
Creature — Antelope (C)
Prey (When this creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control.)
Once a year, the tribe returns to Springplain, few in number and near starving. It leaves renewed, with ample strength to face the coming seasons.
2/1

Last edited by Shaz on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:05 am 

Macabre Infusion
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Whenever a creature dies, enchanted creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
One need not eat, to feed.

The way I see it, magic of this plane should be the bare bones, most intuitive use of the color's themes. However, there should be enough situational complexity that the casters of the setting have an opening to use their basics in creative ways. For instance, having the option to use a kill spell as a combat trick as well as a carefully stockpiled answer to a potential threat.

Last edited by YingLung on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:40 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
Boneyard Warden | :2::b:
Creature - Human Shaman

Human creature cards in graveyards cannot be targeted.
:3::u:: Draw a card. Activate this ability only when you could cast a sorcery and only if there are three or more human creatures in your graveyard.

2/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 pm 

Safety in Numbers -
Enchantment (R)
Tapped creatures you control gets +0/+X, where X is the number of tapped creatures you control.
Untapped creatures you control gets +0/+X, where X is the number of untapped creatures you control.
You don't need math to know you are outnumbered.

I know this doesn't look impressive but hey, possible limited bomb is still a bomb.

Last edited by Confused on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Gather Berries-
Instant
Gain 3 life.
Forage 1 (At the beginning of your upkeep, you may tap an untapped non-token creature you control. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand.)
The gatherers of the Crested Eagle Tribe quickly learn the difference between poisoned fruit and a safe meal.

Forage would be the keyword for the set. it would only go on positive effects like life gain, tokens, card draw, and buffs: there would be no Forage counterspells, removal, LD, or the like. at least not in the first set... I considered making a big flashy rare to show off what it can do but I think it's pretty obvious what you can do with recursion at rare, so the more important question is whether it can exist at common. plus, the flavor is strong here. this effectively gives one of your creatures per turn ", : Gain 3 life." but you have to commit to it during your upkeep. I considered costing it at but even life gain can get oppressive if it's too strong so I'd have had to reduce the gain to 2 probably and that seemed too weak on the front end to be worth a card so I went for the slightly bigger version. the reason Forage has a number is so that I can scale the decisions better: late game, you'd rather get back your 6-mana bomb than this, but if it has a higher forage number then maybe it's not worth committing three creatures to.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm 

Mustanqae Prowler
Creature - Scorpion
Deathtouch
Savagery - When ~ attacks, if it has a +1/+1 counter on it, it gains Menace until end of turn.
1/3

Savagery is used by all colors and represents the survival of the fittest (those with +1/+1 counters on them) by letting them gain something when they attack.

Last edited by CuriousHeartless on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:37 pm 

Identity: Unqualified
Starvation
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player loses 2 life unless a creature died this turn.
: Sacrifice a creature. Any player may activate this ability once each turn.
The concept of 'surplus' is a tenuous notion, especially in the Haewathi region. Seasonal droughts incur what could only be deific punishment for some unknown sin. In Haewaithi, 'One death for the good of many' is an oft heard phrase, a bittersweet preface to inescapable cannibalism.

old entry

Last edited by Malikot on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:00 am 

Vestigial Wings -
Enchantment - Aura | U
Enchant creature you control
When Vestigial Wings enters the battlefield, if enchanted creature has flying, Vestigial Wings gains "Enchanted creature loses flying and gets +1/+1 for each Aura attached to it." Otherwise, it gains "Enchanted creature has flying."
"Fish of the air, bird of the water." - Sapii Tribe saying, meaning "the possibilities are limitless."

Design choices:
[*] Decided to keep this blue instead of making it white to hint at a potential cycle. It's a color bend, but not quite a color bleed.
[*] This design is an uncommon due to complexity (particularly for multiples in limited).
[*] Imagine this design in a set where temporary flying doesn't exist / isn't common (Aether Revolt, surprisingly, did this). This allows you the ability to calculate the math based on two scenarios: Did the base creature start with flying, or did it not start with flying?

World-building:
[*] In this primitive world, the blue-aligned are known as the Sapii tribe. Like most blue-aligned, they are inquisitive and study the world around them. They resemble neanderthals, but with longer skulls exhibiting larger brains. They travel in nomadic groups with distinct cultures, despite all being part of the same tribe. They have developed a universal language for which they can communicate between groups. They have coordinated separate zones on the plane for which their nomadic groups stay within the boundaries - this decision was made in order to maximize the knowledge shared among the collective groups. One nomadic group documented trees bearing edible fruit. Another discovered rocks which when rubbed together can produce heat. And yet another found a skeleton on the beach of a massive fish. Every cold season, the migratory patterns of each zone lead all groups to return to the center of the plane as a tribe and to share their findings, strengthen their language, reproduce, etc. until the warm season returns.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:59 am 

Corroboree - :1::w:
Sorcery
Tap any number of untapped creatures you control. Put two +1/+1 counters on each creature tapped this way.
They danced, though no one was watching.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:27 am 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
EDIT: I added the blue text and resubmitted that version at the end of the thread.

Lead By Example --
Enchantment (U)

Whenever you attack or block with three or more creatures, creatures you control get +1/+1 until the end of turn.

The courage of one becomes the strength of many.

==xx==

Fueled by the popular White weenie strategy, and the concept of exploration. The more you explore, the more resources you have the better off you are.

I also hate that I posted a similar type of card immediately after Flopfoot :(((((((((((((((
I'm almost obliged to redesign my card at some point, potential second option incoming...

My Cube | My Designs | My Blog | My Art
Creator of Max and Mill! Current strip: 1.3.1
Silver Soraka Main

Last edited by altimis on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Plea to the Elements (U)

Instant
Scry 2, then draw a card.
Animism -- If you spent five or more mana this turn, instead scry 4 then draw a card.
"I'm not disappointed on Moargha. Even if this place's shamans know no books nor scrolls, they exhibit the main feature of intelligence which is perceiving the inherent structure of the world."
--Vito of Velicta

Moargha is a world ruled by the elements, so volatile that nothing beyond the most primitive of societies has arised. The storms make it impossible for anyone to plan for anything beyond the span of few weeks or months, making it impossible for anything resembling civilization we know to arise other than a few scattered tribes. The people of the plane live with primitive crafted tools, hunting whatever beasts manage to survive (or being hunted by said beasts), collecting whatever fruits and berries can be found in the area and saving what little can be saved for the many rainy (and stormy) days that are sure to come.

There are no wizards in Moargha; instead, the closest to the role are the shamans that can dialogue with the primal forces that make up the very structure of the plane, bargaining with them for a slightly more forgiving weather or a slightly more bountiful ground to make it to the next few days. Animism is the keyword that represents this bargaining, spending mana being speaking in the language of the elemental forces. Shamans in Moargha aren't born from learned study, but from careful consideration of experience with these unpredictable forces.

Mechanically, I envision animism coexisting with keywords like cycling or the cycling-from-graveyard variant, to help enabling it. I also like that it can generate a few interesting kicker-style decisions, as in you play it now, or you wait to play it with something else so you can get the animism bonus. Uncommon mostly because I think scry 4 is a little too much for a common.

Like this post