It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:51 pm 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
Hello again.

Starting this week, I'll be running a series of contests all connected to the same Expanded Multiverse plane. There will be six contests in total, with the final one being the biggest. You are not required to participate in each part.

The plane in question is Sertaria. It has some special meaning, as it was one of the very first Expanded Multiverse projects. It also holds special meaning to myself, as I was the one who started it.

Sertaria is a Wedge-plane, meaning that it has several regions that are all based on a color together with it's enemies. In Sertaria this means five large continents that drift upon a huge ocean.

The first week will be about Cyrea, the continent. Having Blue as the central color, this continent is all about knowledge. But because the influence of Red and Green, the pursuit of that knowledge is intuitive and random. There's no strong push in one direction, but a lot of people investigating whatever they find interesting.

Here's the excerpt out of the style guide:

Cyrea Style Guide

This weeks contest:

A big part of Cyrean's population consists of mutants. Most of them are recognizable as a particular race, but some look very different and consider themselves as "mutant", rather than, say, Elf.

Your goal is to make 3 cards about these mutants. Show us how people become mutants, how they feel about that, how they live... anything you can come up with. You can do this however you like, but at least two cards should be non-creature cards.

Good luck and have fun.

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:53 pm 

Foxfire Charm
Instant
Flip a coin. If you win the flip, choose two, otherwise, choose one – Target player draws two cards; or deal damage to target player equal to the number of cards in that player's hand; or target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn where X is the number of cards in its controller’s hand.
Too much knowledge will give you a headache…or a second head!

Read the Rings
Sorcery
For each forest you control, reveal three cards from the top of your library. Choose a red or blue card among the revealed cards and put it into your hand. Put the remaining cards on the bottom of your library in any order.

Viashino Lab-Cracker
Creature – Viashino Mutant
Flash
When Viashino Lab-Cracker enters the battlefield, reveal the top card of your library. You may gain control of target creature or spell with a converted mana cost less than the revealed card.
“It’s not often a mutee wants back in the lab after it escapes.” – Cyrean Bioguard
2/2

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:11 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Olsa Scholar :u::g:
Creature - Elf Mutant
Whenever you draw a card, ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
:t:: Draw a card, then discard a card.
1/1
Researchers at the Olsa academy study not for love of learning, but to augment their own power.

Olsa Augmentation :u::g:
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Search an opponent's library for a creature card and exile it, then that player shuffles their library. Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has all abilities of the exiled card.

Painful Augmentation :g::r:
Instant
Put 3 +1/+1 counters on target creature and ~ deals 4 damage to that creature.
"At first, all I felt was the searing pain. But as the agony faded from my nerves, I began to feel the sensation of power."
-Karl, Olsa biomancer

Last edited by Cato on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:08 pm 

Apparently two non-creatures Cato. Got your back, holmes.

Blunsummon
Instant (U)
Return target creature an opponent controls to its owner's hand. That player reveals his or her hand and puts a creature card from it and chosen at random onto the battlefield.

"Some blunders are blessings. But not those which turn you from a hero to a hare."
- Ora Neece, Ex-Wizard

Blunderbolt
Instant (C)
Scramble target creature's power and toughness together then deal two damage to that creature. (To scramble two or more values add them together and then reapportion them at random).

"Some blunders are blessings. But not those which burn you to a crisp."
- Ora Neece, Ex-Wizard

Blundergrowth
Instant (R)
Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. If that card is a land card that player puts it onto the battlefield tapped, if not, that player puts it on the bottom of his or her library. Repeat this process until a land card is revealed.

"Some blunders are blessings. But not those which lose wars and force one's society into a life of slavery."
- Ora Neece, Ex-Wizard

Last edited by MagicPablo666 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 pm 

Landheld Subject :3:
Creature - Mutant
As long as you control an island, Landheld Subject has flying.
As long as you control a mountain, Landheld Subject has first strike.
As long as you control a forest, Landheld Subject has trample.
1/3
There are many races that have special connections to the land they live on. In Cyrea, where the land is always in flux, the distinctions between those races has blurred.

Cascade Discharge
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature is a mutant in addition to its other types. Exile each permanent that entered the battlefield this turn other than enchanted creature and Cascade Discharge, and that creature gains the abilities of each permanent card exiled by Cascade Discharge.

Laboratory Depths
Land
:t:: Add :1: to your mana pool.
:t:: Mutants cannot be blocked by creatures that share an ability with them this turn.
Brotherhoods of skill are no less binding than those of blood.

Last edited by YingLung on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:43 am 

I'm not sure what mechanics or keywords are allowed? I'm strongly envisioning morph for some reason. So here goes:
New Rule: When a face-down card becomes face-up, if it is a non-permanent, it immediately resolves and is placed into the graveyard. This means that a face-down instant card is a 2/2 creature, but when it flips up, it resolves as though it were cast. The spell itself is never actually on the stack nor cast and cannot be responded to or countered.

Mutant's Caress
Sorcery
Target creature gets +x/+0 until end of turn, where x is its power. If :g: was spent to cast or morph ~, that creature gets +x/+x until end of turn instead.
Morph (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for . You may turn it face up at anytime for its morph cost.)
The most volatile of mutations are often the most interesting.

Mutagenic Construct
Artifact Creature - Mutant Shapeshifter Construct
When ~ enters the battlefield or is turned face up, it becomes a copy of a creature on the battlefield, except it has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, turn it face down." and is still a mutant in addition to its other types.
Morph
0/0

Knowledge Morph
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller has you draw two cards.
If you control five or more mutants, ~ costs :u: less.
Not only can you mutate a physical form, but also an idea. Just as a body can be twisted into an ideal form, so too can knowledge.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:50 pm 

dtolle wrote:
I'm not sure what mechanics or keywords are allowed?

Just do whatever feels right :-)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:02 am 

Might-Augment Subject -
Creature - Ouphe Mutant
: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~. Activate this ability only if ~ does not have any +1/+1 counter on it.
If ~ has three or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has trample, becomes red and attacks each turn if able.
2/1

Returner Process -
Enchantment
, Remove a +1/+1 counter from a creature you control: You gain 1 life.
, Remove two +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Add to your mana pool.
, Remove three +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Draw a card.

Bio-Augment Lab
Land - Lab
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature and it becomes a mutant in addition to its other creature types. If you control three or more labs, put two +1/+1 counter on that creature instead.
Every advancement has a price.

Last edited by Confused on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:06 pm 

Quicksilver Fox
Creature- Mutant Fox

Basic landwalk
: Regenerate Quicksilver Fox.

They make the perfect scouts, and are employed by rival researchers as spies and sabotuers, able to get into anywhere and escape as if by magic.

1/2

Haven of Lost Souls
Land
:t: :Add :1: to your mana pool.
:t: :Exile target Mutant creature. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
"There are few places where a mutant can relax. This is one of them. Mutants have souls, ya know. They may be lost or confused, but they exist." ~Tallow Waxfeather, Proprietor

Cloak of Normality :2:
Artifact — Equipment

If equipped creature is a Mutant, it gains hexproof.
:1: :Choose a creature type. Equipped creature is that creature type.
:1: :Choose a color. Equipped creature is that color.

Equip :3:

Last edited by PeregrineV on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:17 pm 

Regeneration is not the mechanic I would have went with to depict Quicksilver, especially considering Quicksilver's loose but stable mechanical identity in Magic. Either way, good luck.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Regeneration is not the mechanic I would have went with to depict Quicksilver, especially considering Quicksilver's loose but stable mechanical identity in Magic. Either way, good luck.

Yeah, I needed the name to represent it's elusive nature, but didn't want it related to that Magic quicksilver identity. But, the naming desire won out. :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 pm 

Blundergrowth
Instant (R)
Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. If that card is a land card that player puts it onto the battlefield tapped. Repeat this process until a land card is revealed.

"Some blunders are blessings. But not those which lose wars and force one's society into a life of slavery."
- Ora Neece, Ex-Wizard

Yo Pabs! Unless I'm missing something here (but the quote make me think not), the game is a draw if both players have non-land cards on top of their library.

701.13b - Revealing a card doesn't cause it to leave the zone it's in.

If I'm not mistaken, that means you both would reveal the same card into eternity...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:52 pm 

@Cato: All your cards are creatures.

@Confused: That's only one card.

I appreciate your contributions, but I won't be able to properly judge your entries against the others like this.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:58 pm 

Mutant Rebirth :u::g:
Instant

As an additional cost to cast Mutant Rebirth, sacrifice a Mutant.
Search your library for a Mutant creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed card and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library.

You don't know yourself until you've been every you you can be.

Graftling :x::gu::gu:
Creature - Mutant Shapeshifter

Graft x
:gu:: Graftling gains hexproof until end of turn.
:g:: Graftling gains trample until end of turn.
:u:: Graftling gains flying until end of turn.
:1:: Graftling gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
:1:: Graftling gets -1/+1 until end of turn.

0/0

Mutant Network :r::u:
Sorcery

Draw a card, then discard a card. Repeat this process for each Mutant you control.

Sometimes, having one brain just isn't enough

Last edited by storyteller on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:49 pm 

POSValkir wrote:
Blundergrowth
Instant (R)
Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. If that card is a land card that player puts it onto the battlefield tapped. Repeat this process until a land card is revealed.

- Ora Neece, Ex-Wizard

Yo Pabs! Unless I'm missing something here (but the quote make me think not), the game is a draw if both players have non-land cards on top of their library.

701.13b - Revealing a card doesn't cause it to leave the zone it's in.

If I'm not mistaken, that means you both would reveal the same card into eternity...

Oh. I do like that idea, but you're right: not what I was going for.

Edit: Could also be neat in landless mirror-match. And by neat I mean stupid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:57 pm 

Oh. I do like that idea, but you're right: not what I was going for.
Edit: Could also be neat in landless mirror-match. And by neat I mean stupid.

I only asked cause you're a far cleverer designer than I. Now if only I could get an idea for this contest, cause it seems cool.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:58 pm 

You're too kind.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 am 

You're too kind.

I needed to know if it was one of those "Pablo is an Artist" instances or one of those "You and Pablo still aren't untouchable experts" moments.

I think I have an idea (but the races have more broad acceptance thing makes me hesitant to go the "discrimination" route...also, I don't really know how wedges work...)

So here we go:

Denied Self
Creature - Elemental Mutant
Effects which would add or remove an ability from Denied Self treat Denied Self as if it were not an Elemental.
Effects which would modify Denied Self's power or toughness treat Denied Self as if it were not an Elemental.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Denied Self is in your graveyard, creatures you control lose the subtype of your choice.
5/5

Solidarity
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if all creature permanents you control share only one sub-type, draw three cards.

Flawed Replication
Sorcery
For each creature you control flip a coin, if you win the flip. put a token creature into play that's a copy of that creature. Otherwise, draw a card.

I kinda think Flawed Replication would be more interesting as an instant...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:28 pm 

Alright. I'm going to close this and get some ratings out as soon as my headache goes away.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:21 am 

That's some headache!

Like this post