It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:02 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Welcome to the fourth installment of Pro Tour: You Make the Card, the spiritual successor of You Make the Card Idol from years past, and the most prestigious fantasy fantasy card design contest to have ever graced these forums! This is your chance to test your skills as a Magic: the Gathering card designer against those of the rest of the forum, and prove you're a master of innovation, elegance, flavor, and other hallmarks of excellent card design. Take the crown in this contest, and you'll join the ranks of the YMTC legends, including Ephemeron, tyranno6, zammm, Dream Spinner, and others, and be immortalized in YMTC history.

The contest is broken up into two sections: audition rounds and Top 8. The first seven audition rounds are open entry. Each round is one week long, and the judges will post their rankings during the following week. Your ranking relative to the other participants determines the number of points you accrue. These points accumulate as rounds progress, and at the end of the seven audition rounds, the seven participants who have accrued the most points will be guaranteed a spot in the Top 8! This means it's in your best interest to participate each round, but missing a round here and there doesn't mean it's the end of the contest for you. Doing well in a few rounds is much better than doing poorly in all seven.

After those first seven audition rounds, everyone who participated in all seven rounds will have an additional chance to make the Top 8 in a special Wild Card round. The player who achieves the highest overall ranking from the judges in that round will take the last spot in the Top 8! If you struggle through a few rounds, keep on playing, because you still have a chance in the Wild Card round!

Once the audition rounds are over, we will cut to the Top 8, and those who made it that far will fight for all of the glory! At this point, the judges' work is finished, and the Top 8's fate is decided by the vote of our community in a cutthroat, single-elimination style tournament. At the end, we will have the champion of YMTC Pro Tour 4!

And now, allow me to introduce this year's judges!

• Q is 564453, winner of YMTC Idol 6
  • Dudibus, winner of YMTC Pro Tour 3
  • Mown, winner of YMTC Pro Tour 2
  • tyranno6, host of the original YMTC Idol series and winner of YMTC Idol 11

Also, a special thanks to ParadOxymoron for leading the effort to make the contest happen this year, razorborne for running the contest in years' past, and LilyStorm for the beautiful banner!

In an effort to move the contest forward, the first three judges to post their rankings each round will forge the fate of the round's participants. I will take care of any tiebreakers. And now, onto the first round's criteria!

Round 1

A prevalent game strategy in Magic: the Gathering is an infinite combo, or a combination of cards that perform a series of effects indefinitely to produce a game-winning state. These can range from very simple, such as a Deceiver Exarch enchanted with Splinter Twin to create an army of infinitely many hasty 1/4s, to extremely complex, such as The Gitrog Monster, a discard outlet, Dakmor Salvage, and an Eldrazi titan to safely draw your entire library and win however you want.

Though there are thousands of infinite combos, they all follow a similar premise: reset your combo pieces to perform the same effect over and over again. This is typically done in one of two ways: either untap the permanents on the battlefield that create the effect, or transfer cards from one zone to another in a way that is either free or nets more resources than it costs. This is why cards like Pyrexian Altar, Karmic Guide, and Eternal Witness are crucial to many infinite combos. With enough ingenuity, even cards like Patron of the Moon and Warp World can produce a repeatable resetting effect that lead the player to victory.

Your task for this round is to design a card that enables one or more of its controller's cards to travel freely from one zone to another.

You'll want to keep in mind that in recent years, R&D has made significant efforts to make infinite combos more difficult to pull off, such as by exiling the combo enabler or putting it somewhere that is less accessible to the combo player. For example, cards with extra turn other large, resetting effects now either exile themselves or put themselves somewhere in your library. To do well, you'll want to make sure that if your design were to be designed by WOTC today, it would still be able to be part of an infinite combo.

You have one week from today to post your submission. I'll be closing the round on Saturday, 9/23 at 12:00 AM Central Time. Best of luck!

Pro Tour YMTC 4 Archive

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Last edited by Q is 564453 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:20 am 

Identity: Rubik
Well, I guess I have to start designing cards again.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:29 am 

Kophyll Spawn Pod :2::gw::b:
Artifact
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
:t:: Add :w:, :b:, or :g: to your mana pool.
:1:, :t:, Discard a creature card: Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
"The best way to stay in the living is to impart the soul and mind to an unborn fetus, and preserve the old but still usable bodies for safekeeping."

Flavor text ideas:
The Kophyll believe in death, and the royalty often keeps reserves of their former skins, in the event that a newer skin becomes unsuitable for use.
Royalty in the Kophyll engage in a rebirth ceremony, which is an incestuous creation of unborn fetuses that the monarchs use to extend their lives.
"The best way to stay in the living is to impart the soul and mind to an unborn fetus, and preserve the old but still usable bodies for safekeeping."

redacted

Colored artifacts should be more of a thing.

Last edited by preadatordetector on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:35 am 

A Tale of Swords and Souls, Eternally Retold - :2::g:
Enchantment
Sacrifice a permanent: Put target permanent card from your graveyard on top of your library.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:03 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
oh yay this is happening. thanks for organizing it, Parad, and thanks for hosting, Q! I may even compete. we'll see if I can muster up some designs.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:53 am 

Nevermind, I might enter later.

Last edited by Hello World on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 am 

Itarin Recruiter
Creature - Skeleton Soldier (R)
Menace
Whenever Itarin Recruiter or another Skeleton enters the battlefield under your control, you may return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Sacrifice four Skeletons: Put a creature card with converted mana cost 4 or less from your hand onto the battlefield. It's a black Skeleton in addition to its colors and types.
3/2

Last edited by Knight Otu on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:16 am 

Looking forward to trying my hand at this!

So... gotta design a card that lets cards move freely, but also with consideration to Wizard's current design philosophies that breakable, repeatable, effects result in the source being exiled...

Nanvara, Keeper of Secrets |
Legendary Creature - Naga Wizard (MR)
Coup (If Nanvara would leave the battlefield, if you own it, you may put it into the command zone instead. It becomes a commander in addition to any commanders you already have.)
Discard a card: The next spell you cast this turn costs less to cast. Investigate.
4/4

I think Wizard's would allow a powerful effect like this (effectively turning all your cards into Simian Spirit Guides), but only in Commander where they already have crazy powerful cards. The qualifications for the round made me think of Commanders, hence the Coup ability that allows you to gain more commanders during the game.

Last edited by Yarium on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:32 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
I dont like something about that banner.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:52 am 

Here's my temporary submission until I can get my gears properly turning on this.

Dreams unto Reality
Enchantment
, exile the top two cards of your library: You may put a card you own in exile on top of your library.
, exile two cards in your hand: You may put a card you own in exile into your hand.
, exile two creatures you control: You may return another creature card you own from exile to the battlefield. It enters the battlefield tapped.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I JUST REALIZED WHAT I DID. CHANGING THE CARD.

Last edited by resdamalos on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:53 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Tortuous Memories
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature.
Whenever another creature dies, enchanted creature fights itself.
Discard a card: Regenerate enchanted creature.
Though the loss of his allies ails his body and soul, the lone knight must endure long enough to see it vanquished.

Redacted Entries

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:28 pm 

Atrazaph's Conscription
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token, then you lose 1 life for each Soldier you control.
Sacrifice two creatures: Draw a card.
Greedy and paranoid of a military coup, Atrazaph I put the imperial army to death rather than paying them.

Last edited by Shaz on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:01 pm 

The Tombchested One -
Legendary Creature - Golem | R
Creature spells cost less to cast for each creature card that shares a name with it in exile.
Exile a creature you control: Add to your mana pool.
3/2

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
razorborne wrote:
oh yay this is happening. thanks for organizing it, Parad, and thanks for hosting, Q! I may even compete. we'll see if I can muster up some designs.

also mown thanks for judging

I guess I'll have to find my anonymity filter again.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:50 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he
Rise in the Ranks
Enchantment -- Aura
Enchant creature card on the battlefield, in the command zone, or on the stack.
Enchanted creature is your commander. (If it would be exiled or put into your graveyard, library, or hand, you may instead put it into your command zone. You may cast it from your command zone for an additional for each previous time it was cast this way.)
Some of us have greatness thrust upon them.

Last edited by arathinius on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 28 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:45 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

Astral Alignment

Enchantment
Whenever you cast a spell with converted mana cost 7, you may draw seven cards.
"Our mission and burden is to seek Betelsa's skies for any sign of disarray, lest the heavens fall in such disorder that the Maker decides to reorder the world."
--Avaleo the Astronomer

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:59 pm 

Ambitious Archivist
Creature - Naga Wizard (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library.
, Sacrifice Ambitious Archivist: Exile the top six cards of your library.
When Ambitious Archivist dies, return it to the battlefield transformed.
2/3

//

Bloodbound Tome
Artifact
: Choose a card exiled by a creature named Ambitious Archivist that you controlled. Put that card into your hand.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:44 pm 

Well, not like I could win this but might as well try.

Sylvia's Scrying -
Enchantment
: Exile the top card of your library face-down.
, Discard a card: Return target card exiled by ~ to your hand.
You may look at any card exiled by ~ as long as it is in exile.
Her flames might guide her path but only her decision will shape the future.

Last edited by Confused on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:42 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Secrets of the Forgotten
Enchantment (M)
: Search your library for a card, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.
: Draw a card.
: You may put a permanent card from your hand onto the battlefield.
As she breathed in the ancient scent, the final wisdom of a long-lost civilization began to seep into her mind.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:50 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Vessel of the Hive-
Creature-Skeleton Wizard
Whenever you discard a card, you may sacrifice Vessel of the Hive. If you do, draw two cards.
The secrets of the Sel'vak Hive are stored within its bones.
2/2

you need some recursion and a discard outlet in your combo, but it's certainly doable. (as Q mentioned, they try not to make it easy these days anyway.) in regular play this can interact with things like cycling, which would probably be a significant feature in the set this card appeared in, but of course with the right set of tools you can loop it forever to draw your whole deck (and put a good chunk of it into your graveyard if you're discarding.) on power, I considered costing it at 3 in mono-color but I think the switch to two is probably fine. the closest comparison I could find was alchemist's apprentice which is smaller and draws less, but is also monocolored and can pop itself at any time. it also wasn't that good, which means it can go up a bit without breaking. also note that, between the discarded card and the sacrificed creature you wind up even on cards, although odds are good you're getting some other value elsewhere from the discard. I expect this to be one of the archetype uncommons for the set, and as such I'm ok with it being relatively strong. this effect could, of course, exist on an enchantment, but I like it better on a creature because it's an actual choice. in the early game a 2/2 is not a worthless body, so you won't necessarily want to crack it at the first opportunity. it's a pretty solid defensive roadblock if you have instant-speed discard available.

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post