It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:30 pm 

Warning - horrid deckbuilding ahead

Back when Planeswalker decks were announced, around the time my computer gave up on me, I got the idea that they could be useful for NGAC - if they represented noncanon visits, they could help reuse planeswalkers that are underused, get more M:EM planeswalkers cards, and allow an avenue for WotC walkers to be brought in. The planeswalker cards also wouldn't need to follow strictly after the WotC formula of being non-constructed viable (not that I am a good judge of that). My original plan was to start with my next block, but I decided to retroactively start with the Five Worlds. The deck-unique cards are special rarity as, in a way, they're not part of the set itself. As per the warning above, my deck building is rubbish, so any suggestion is welcome, though obviously options are limited.

Any card not autocarded or posted after the deck is already posted in the MST partial set archive.

Syl, Dark Puppeteer (5WD)
Spoiler

Alessa, the Seer (5WD)
Spoiler

Garruk, Dread Hunter (MST)
Spoiler

Pendulum, Perfection Crafter (MST)
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:33 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
You're a genius. This solves all of my problems.

I should probably say that the second part of Pendulum seems like silly flavor text when it locks your opponent out of the game more or less immediately.
I also think a lot of the tutor cards are poor. Garruk's is a finisher, and Syl's is highly reactive. You want to give players the leeway to just play them to tutor, and not feel punished.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 pm 

If this solves all your problems, I think I want those problems. :shifty:

Pendulum is the planeswalker I'm least happy with. I'm collecting some material for a better redesign. I see the problem with the tutor cards. It came about due to my desire to not have them look quite like commons with a planeswalker tutor attached to it, and I went too far into the opposite direction.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:39 am 

Identity: Male
Typo alert! - Target opponent puts the top then cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. Creatures that player controls get -1/-0 until end of turn for each creature card put into the graveyard this way.
I think that "the" should be "a".

What does the "Zetasyn" beneeath some cards indicate? Is it an art or perhaps watermark thing?

I think you could lower the cost of Syl's ult by 1 loyalty.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:35 am 

I wish I had a planeswalker in NGAC

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:12 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
Typo alert! - Target opponent puts the top then cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. Creatures that player controls get -1/-0 until end of turn for each creature card put into the graveyard this way.
I think that "the" should be "a".

Thanks for the typo check, though it's likely the card will change. I think the "the graveyard" is fine in this context, since it can only be the targeted player's graveyard anyway.

TPmanW wrote:
What does the "Zetasyn" beneeath some cards indicate? Is it an art or perhaps watermark thing?

Watermark/world indicator, yes, usually of the worlds mentioned in the opening sentence of each deck. Zetasyn, in particular, is the world in the block.

TPmanW wrote:
I think you could lower the cost of Syl's ult by 1 loyalty.

Possibly. As I stated, I'm not particularly good at Planeswalker design yet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 pm 

So, first off, I'm flattered Alessa made the cut. As to the deck and card itself, I'm not sure how much I can comment on. It's good to see some Sphinx in there, to be certain.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 am 

Garruk's first ability doesn't work because nobody dies until after the ability has finished resolving.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:49 am 

Barinellos wrote:
So, first off, I'm flattered Alessa made the cut. As to the deck and card itself, I'm not sure how much I can comment on. It's good to see some Sphinx in there, to be certain.

Alessa is the perfect fit. She just had to be there. Well, in a noncanon fashion.

Mata Hari wrote:
Garruk's first ability doesn't work because nobody dies until after the ability has finished resolving.

Easy enough fix - "At the beginning of the end step, if both creatures died this turn, draw a card."

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:21 pm 

Preliminary new versions:

Approach of the Dread Hunter
Enchantment [S]
When Approach of the Dread Hunter enters the battlefield, you may search your library and/or graveyard for a card named Garruk, Dread Hunter, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Creatures you control get +2/+0 and have haste.

Mind Deletion
Enchantment [S]
When Mind Deletion enters the battlefield, you may search your library and/or graveyard for a card named Syl, Dark Puppeteer, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Whenever you cast a spell, target opponent puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. If one or more land cards are put into a player's library this way, creatures that player controls get -3/-0 until the beginning of your next turn.

Pendulum, Perfection Crafter
Planeswalker — Pendulum [S]
: Put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to two target creatures.
: Tap up to two target creatures. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
: Create a legendary colorless artifact token named The Pendulum with “, : Move an Aura or counter from target creature to another target creature” and “, , Discard two cards: End the turn.”

Like this post