It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(The Second Flood archives)

so obviously the set was gonna have some ships. Rush at one point suggested ship lords, and that seemed like a nice evolution. they're smaller effects, but they trigger off any ship so you can sort of Voltron them together, plus they give you more benefits from all your other ships you were already running.

Broken-Down Junk-
Artifact-Ship (C)
War Machine (As long as you are attacking with a creature, this artifact may attack as though it were a creature. It gets summoning sickness.)
Whenever Broken-Down Junk or another ship you control attacks and isn't blocked, defending player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Chirom's ships are cobbled together from spare parts and luck.

it's a Howling Junk reference! also a junk is a kind of boat fyi

Raider's Raft-
Artifact-Ship (C)
War Machine (As long as you are attacking with a creature, this artifact may attack as though it were a creature. It gets summoning sickness.)
Whenever Raider's Raft or another ship you control attacks and isn't blocked, you may put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control at end of combat.
As the waters rise, many Djinn have simply taken to living entirely on the sea.

Rush didn't like this one but they wanted the life drain instead of separate damage and life gain ships so I needed another thing and I like this one I think the flavor is good

Explorer's Craft-
Artifact-Ship (C)
Whenever Explorer's Craft or another ship you control attacks and isn't blocked, you may untap a land you control.
Even as the world ends, a Lizard's curiosity is never sated.

seemed like a nice thing. lets you play early stuff, swing, then untap and try to sneak in another thing. allows for some clever bluffing 'cause they don't know what you might be trying to cast.

Lightcloud-
Artifact-Ship (C)
Whenever Lightcloud or another ship you control attacks and isn't blocked, you may scry 1.
The Worldkin see Ossia through foreign eyes.

I liked this as a smallest-possible-thing design. probably not super good but spread out it can net you some serious selection.

Patchwork Rammer-
Artifact-Ship (C)
Patchwork Rammer can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.
The most dangerous place on Ossia is in a Troll's way.

I figured since going unblocked was becoming its own valuable thing, a Ship with just evasion could be useful. it's cheap for obvi reasons, and I don't know if it's good, but I like it with the rest of the ships in the set. maybe I could up it to 3 power.

next up we start on class threads with a visit to the Pirates!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 pm 

patchwork rammer concerns me a bit because its a common that does almost nothing on its own but that might not matter

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 pm 

darksteel relic was uncommon

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:03 am 

Identity: Male
I like the ship lords. The concept is very sound.

Ragnarokio wrote:
patchwork rammer concerns me a bit because its a common that does almost nothing on its own but that might not matter

Patchwork Rammer is easier to use in limited than the Relic, but the point holds. There are only 4 other cards in the set that let this do something, right?

We could also use a 1 or 2 mana unblockable dude. Freewind Corsair is nice, but I'd take a 0 power Slither Blade over it.
Or maybe a ship that makes your creatures unblockable next turn? I dunno. I want dudes that can't be blocked.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
Patchwork Rammer is easier to use in limited than the Relic, but the point holds. There are only 4 other cards in the set that let this do something, right?

I mean technically there's also ~The Claw Of The Sea~ which it can block. but yeah. pretty much, at least so far.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:12 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Ships are still bad fwiw.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:28 pm 

I will say, I really enjoyed ships playing in the Ossia tournaments, but it feels weird looking at them now after Kaladesh and Vehicles.

I still kind of like them, though.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:02 pm 

Ships are still bad fwiw.

mlyp

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:18 pm 

much like your personiage

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:22 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I will say, I really enjoyed ships playing in the Ossia tournaments, but it feels weird looking at them now after Kaladesh and Vehicles.

yeah I think vehicles were a better implementation of the same idea, but in my defense they have playtests

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:33 am 

I feel like YmtC has taken the crew route to vehicles before. It probably ends up working out better than ships although I haven't played much of either but I think ships are a different concept gameplay-wise even if they aim to deliver on the same fantasy. With some tuning ships could end up being more interesting.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:33 am 

although in retrospect having a set with vehicles as a theme that doesn't also have artifacts in general as a major theme is probably a miss

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:07 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Ragnarokio wrote:
although in retrospect having a set with vehicles as a theme that doesn't also have artifacts in general as a major theme is probably a miss

I disagree on that. their support needs are so different from general artifact support needs that the two really don't need to be anywhere near each other, design-wise. I just think Ships have the problem that they're either pointless against blockers or they need a fair amount of complexity, which makes commons really difficult and rares kinda ugly. combat wasn't really designed for things without powers and toughnesses.

Like this post