All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:05 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(The Second Flood archives)
(Telimar in FOS)
(Telimar in WVB)

Telimar is at war with itself. many Orders have sided with Tenel and the Council, but Meili and her warmongering Acolytes still hold considerable sway as well. and, of course, many Dryads owe loyalty to multiple Orders, leaving them torn between sides. this has led to a complex web of alliances across the Isle of Arbors, pitting friends against friends and dividing Orders amongst themselves. the Desecrators, meanwhile, have had to scale back their off-Isle works in order to play the role of a police force, preventing violence from consuming the Dryads in a time where they can't afford distractions. and all the while, the deadly waves creep closer and closer to the Wandervein, unchecked except by a few frantic Tillers, and the trees of Telimar begin to die without the attention of their caretakers.

Notable Individuals of Telimar

Meili, Lightgrove Acolyte: Meili has rallied many of the more utilitarian Orders around her, including the Vinechildren, the Branchcasters, and the Reapers, and she has mobilized the Acolytes' resources to remove Tenel from power before it's too late. she is convinced that if he can be stopped, she can sway Telimar to strike out again, aiming to take new, safer lands to transplant their forests to. she's especially interested in Epala, which is relatively elevated compared to most of the other Isles and clearly has the soil necessary to support plant life.

Tenel, Blanch Sophisticate: of course, there's a pretty big obstacle in her way. Tenel has gathered more of the philosophical orders, including the Murmurers, the Dewdrinkers, and the Bowerlings, and seeks to convince the rest of Telimar to turn their resources towards aiding the Council. he is trying to dissuade his allies from violence, but Meili's provocations make that difficult, and his cautions have fallen largely on deaf ears. like Meili, Tenel recognizes that he's running out of time, and is attempting to rein in the conflict before it's too late.

Kimil, Ashbark Desecrator: also trying to rein things in is Kimil. she is horrified by the turn of events surrounding her home, and views this internal conflict as a threat Telimar lacks the time to handle. she would much rather be out among the Isles exacting vengeance for acts of war against the Dryads, but at the moment, the deadliest aggression the Dryads face is from themselves, so she has returned home in an attempt to end the in-fighting. she has attempted to mediate multiple meetings between Tenel and Meili, but so far the two frustratingly refuse to find any common ground, so Kimil is left attempting to patch up the Isle on her own.

Dryads' primary classes are Minion, Druid, and Monk. their keyword is Landform:

{type}form (, : This creature becomes a {type} land. You may pay any time you could cast a sorcery to end this effect.)

CYCLE 1: Common dual-class, Small

Sap Hunter-
Creature-Dryad Druid Barbarian (C)
Swampform - Pay 2 life (Pay 2 life, : This creature becomes a Swamp land. You may pay any time you could cast a sorcery to end this effect.)
Telimar falls barren as the Reapers turn toward war.
3/2

PSA: don't put landform in your set. it has like no design space at all. it's awful and I hate it. anyway one of the few things I hadn't done was non-standard form costs, and since Barbarians have a touch of Sui Black in them, this seemed like a good place to do it. the body's fine on its own but if you wind up on a stalled board you can turn it into mana without breaking your curve so that's nice. it also ducks removal without mana up, although only it you haven't attacked with it. I probably have to do another non-standard cost somewhere else 'cause it'd be weird if it only happened on a common, but I like it here.

CYCLE 2: Common dual-class, Large

Treetop Sentry-
Creature-Dryad Druid Scout (C)
Forestform (, : This creature becomes a Forest land. You may pay any time you could cast a sorcery to end this effect.)
Treetop Sentry enters the battlefield in forestform.
The sky grows dark as the Leafbenders wait to strike.
5/6

I was trying to figure out what Scouts wanted from Landform and the answer turned out to be "lol nothing that keyword is dumb" so anyway here's this. it flavorfully fits with the idea of a Scout, and since it had to be on the large side it wasn't gonna be super relevant to the deck anyway so I'm cool with that. it does give you an undercosted body by spreading payments out, which Scouts like, but you still have to pay 5 upfront. anyway, I like the design and I think it fits well with the mechanic and not everything has to be perfect, Scouts are already pretty damn strong in Ossia, they don't need this card too. (although I think it's a strong card. just not strong for Scouts. Druids will like it probly.) on body, it costs the same as axebane stag, but it got -1/-1 for the payment flexibility and forestform. I'd normally be hesitant to do this at common but it's the third set so I think it's ok.

CYCLE 3: Uncommon ally lord

Ashbark Silencer-
Creature-Dryad Minion (U)
Lifelink
Sacrifice Ashbark Silencer: Tap all creatures you don't control. Activate this ability only if you control a Bat or Gargoyle.
"The Desecrators demand order."
3/3

I knew I wanted the sac ability tied to the restriction. I wanted something protective, and was gonna go with indestructible for all, but Rush pointed out that that's never been attached to a creature at sub-rare and counter-suggested this. I also considered making it [c]Thoughtweft Gambit[/b] but Rush convinced me that that messed up the lelegance for no real gain in appeal, so I scrapped that and gave it lifelink instead. I don't think it's very strong but I think I'm ok with that.

CYCLE 4: Common I/S, gravetrips

Touch of Oak-
Instant (C)
Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn. If there is a Dryad card in your graveyard, draw a card.
"It is a perverse thing to watch the stewards of life turn to the dealing of death. May the forests forgive us."~Tenel, Blanch Sophisticate

mirror to Touch of Ashbark from Fleets. seemed like a fine combat trick, that effect has appeared at that cost with upside multiple times. not much to say, really. next!

CYCLE 5: Uncommon I/S, charms

Telimar Charm-
Sorcery (U)
Choose one:
  • Create two forest land tokens tapped.
  • Destroy target land.
  • Put three +1/+1 counters on target creature.
Telimar grows.

for the last ability I wanted to do "creature or land" to tie in with landform, but generally charm modes don't have overlapping targets, so since the second ability targets lands I didn't want the third one to as well. dunno, that's mainly a thing for MTGO and that's not really a concern here so I could scrap it if y'all wanted. the first ability uses tokens for time but could also search libraries if y'all wanted, I'm flexible. I do like the interaction of the tokens and Kiber's Reckoning from the Fae thread, though.

CYCLE 6: Rare I/S

Kimil's Decree-
Sorcery (R)
All creatures get -2/-2 until end of turn. If you control a Dryad, creatures you don't control get an additional -1/-1 until end of turn.
"That is enough."

I wanted to do an infest last set but decided to put it off 'til here instead 'cause Dryads seemed like the right tribe for it. they tend to have bigger butts so they're better than average at surviving it, plus landform helps them hide the vulnerable ones so you only need one big one out there taking the hit. note that even if your thing dies to the -2/-2 (say, it's a [c]nightwalker sapling[/c]) you still get the bonus. also, another reference to Touch of Ashbark woo woo

next up is the worldkin wow I am blasting through these right now

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:48 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Grixis charm doesn't have any issues on mtgo fwiw

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:41 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Grixis charm doesn't have any issues on mtgo fwiw

I think the reasoning isn't really a technical one, it's that you don't want players to get to the target selection phase and forget which mode they chose. again, though, that doesn't really come up in any situation NGA cards could find themselves in, so maybe I'll just do it. although I still don't love the interaction it'd have with Milovic's Ruse. I think, in order to utilize the Ruse correctly, you have to have something that can steal it. dumping the counters on a random non-Dryad land seems unfun. dunno.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:46 pm 

FWIW I feel like having the counters unable to go on lands would probably be better because it potentially introduces a level of tension around landforming or whatever, like whether you wanna landform at a certain point knowing you might wanna get some counters later or the fact you can't just dump the counters on a landformed creature and delandform when your opponent is tapped out or run out of removal or whatever. You know what I mean probably.

Last edited by Mata Hari on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:46 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I think the 5-mana Nature's Lore would be a lot cooler if it was closer to not being 5 mana, although the current design is also sort of clever.
The "if you control a Dryad" spells are always kind of awkward because of Xform. On a sweeper, it feels even stranger. (Also, some people might believe that you don't get the bonus if it kills your own dryads. I don't really know how bad people think.)

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:52 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mata Hari wrote:
FWIW I feel like having the counters unable to go on lands would probably be better because it potentially introduces a level of tension around landforming or whatever, like whether you wanna landform at a certain point knowing you might wanna get some counters later or the fact you can't just dump the counters on a landformed creature and delandform when your opponent is tapped out or run out of removal or whatever. You know what I mean probably.

makes sense

Mown wrote:
I think the 5-mana Nature's Lore would be a lot cooler if it was closer to not being 5 mana, although the current design is also sort of clever.
well, the constraints of the cycle mean it has to cost at least 4, and the other green big one cost 4 and green likes getting some fat so I wanted this to cost 5, but also it's probably not actually Nature's Lore for long.

Mown wrote:
The "if you control a Dryad" spells are always kind of awkward because of Xform. On a sweeper, it feels even stranger. (Also, some people might believe that you don't get the bonus if it kills your own dryads. I don't really know how bad people think.)
yeah, landform ruins everything and I hate it. was bound to happen with one of my keywords. anyway I agree that bad people might read it incorrectly but it's a rare so it's allowed to be a little unintuitive if it needs to be I guess.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:04 pm 

razorborne wrote:
Mata Hari wrote:

makes sense

Good god, does it?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:26 am 

Identity: Male
Sap hunter is awesome.

Telimar Charm should hit lands too with the last mode. I can't see why.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:19 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:

wait, should or shouldn't. there's a typo in here somewhere and I'm not sure which you meant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:34 am 

razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

wait, should or shouldn't. there's a typo in here somewhere and I'm not sure which you meant.

I can't see why it shouldn't. It should be able to put counters on lands.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 pm 

I am posting here solely to see if the forums are working right- they seem to me, but somebody I'm in contact with is having problems with them.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:03 am 

Yup, that "landform" mechanic seems pretty bad.
Here's a similar mechanic I came up long time ago:

Terra (If this is played as a land, it enters the battlefield tapped and is no longer a creature. If this would die as a creature, it's no longer a creature instead.)

Example:

Whisper of the Woods
Land Creature - Forest Spirit (U)
Terra (If this is played as a land, it enters the battlefield tapped and is no longer a creature. If this would die as a creature, it's no longer a creature instead.)
Flying
1/1
Outdated render

I did (also) find it rather hard to design for though...

Telimar Charm: Are land tokens a common theme? They seem like an extremely bad idea, especially if different types of basic land tokens are created this way.

Kimil's Decree: I don't think it's entirely clear for all players that those dryads need to survive for this to have its additional effect. Actually do they or do they not? If its the former, I would make it state "... end of turn, then if you control a Dryad, ..."

Bunch more of my designs!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:39 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Tahazzar wrote:
Telimar Charm: Are land tokens a common theme? They seem like an extremely bad idea, especially if different types of basic land tokens are created this way.
nah, these are the only ones. it helps save space and avoid unnecessary search and shuffling.

Tahazzar wrote:
Kimil's Decree: I don't think it's entirely clear for all players that those dryads need to survive for this to have its additional effect. Actually do they or do they not? If its the former, I would make it state "... end of turn, then if you control a Dryad, ..."
they do not. well, they do, but creatures don't die from having 0 toughness during the resolution of a spell, so there's no way for you to control a Dryad as it starts resolving but not have any by the time it checks.

also Terra's a completely different space and probably much more limited, design-wise.

Like this post