Post subject: [TSF] The Ruins of Epala
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:07 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(The Second Flood archives)
(Epala in FOS)
(Epala in WVB)

the Isle of Shadows remains a political minefield, with different factions vying for control of the Bounded Court. Simi still holds the reins for now, but Dwimmek's trade routes have significantly strengthened her position, and along with the support of Kiber she has risen to prominence within the Court. however, an interesting consequence of this overt power struggle is beginning to play out across the landscape: the Court is shrinking. key supporters on both sides seem to keep mysteriously disappearing, and while neither has been bold enough to strike directly at the opposing faction's head just yet, everyone on the Court knows that it's only a matter of time.

Notable Individuals of Epala

Simi, Shadowsword Harrier: Simi feels her grip on the Court slipping, but she has worked too hard for too long and will not be dethroned easily. she has lackeys working night and day to disrupt Dwimmek's trade routes, seeking to cut off her source of power and influence. however, she also knows that to directly oppose trade would put her at a distinct advantage, so in public she remains welcoming to the idea, even offering to add her own fleet to the efforts, an offer Dwimmek has been working hard to stall without actually rejecting. and, of course, Simi is aware that any unusual problems the traders encounter will likely be blamed on her by the rest of the Court, so her meddling on that front has been hampered by caution. still, the upstart needs to be put down, and quickly, if Simi is to retain control.

Dwimmek the Farsighted: the Queen of the Canopy has played the game beautifully, and sits poised to seize the reins of power any day now, but first she has to work with the Council to prevent the rising tides or there will be no Epala to command. as such, she's delegated most of the political work to Kiber. she knows that Simi's supporters keep turning up dead (or not turning up at all) and she's clever enough to piece together what's going on there, but her focus is on building and maintaining her trade routes, and meeting with the Council to determine how to fix the Seal.

Kiber the Stout: and waiting to take advantage of her lack of focus is her "ally", Kiber. in her distraction, Dwimmek has mistakenly handed him too much power, and the former head of the Court has used that opportunity to position himself to reclaim control. while Dwimmek manages the other Isles, Kiber has been methodically removing some of Simi's most crucial supporters from play. meanwhile, Simi's retaliations have targeted Dwimmek's supporters, not Kiber's, and so the leprechaun plays the Court against itself, forcing his two greatest rivals to destroy each other, leaving an open path for him to once again rule Epala.

Faeries' primary classes are Druid, Scout, and Assassin. their keyword is Pester

Pester (The first noncreature spell each opponent casts each turn costs more to cast.)

reminder: it says "noncreature", please do not comment as if it doesn't say "noncreature". also yes I've playtested it, it's fine, calm down.

CYCLE 1: Common dual-class, Small

Redgrass Merchants-
Creature-Faerie Scout Monk (C)
Pester (The first noncreature spell each opponent casts each turn costs more to cast.)
Whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, you may gain 2 life.
The Centaurs had never considered the value of religious iconography until the Fae arrived.
3/2

I love the flavor of this and will fight you if you challenge me on it.

I was gonna make it a 2/2 but Rush convinced me that it wasn't actually that strong a set of abilities and I could probably do this and it makes it more different from Kneecapper Gang which is nice too. anyway Monks have this whole life gain theme that this seemed to fit well into. yeah.

CYCLE 2: Common dual-class, Large

High Seas Trader-
Creature-Faerie Scout Pirate (C)
Flying, prowess, pester (The first noncreature spell each opponent casts each turn costs more to cast.)
"The seas grow darker with each passing day. I hope your fleet is prepared."~Simi, Shadowsword Harrier, to Dwimmek the Farsighted
2/2

I came up with the pairing of prowess and pester during Wavebreak design and it was just so perfect. it's such a blue design: you can't be trusted with doing this thing but I can 'cause I know what I'm doing. I wanted to do it then but the cards didn't quite call for it, and I knew I was doing the off-Isle classes in this set so I set it up so that the Fae would have access to the only class in the block that actually liked noncreature spells, the Pirates. I don't use a lot of Prowess, but it's evergreen now so I'm allowed to sprinkle it in here if I want, and I do. on power, it's basically Lotus Path Djinn but trading a point of toughness for pester, which on a 4-drop seems fair.

CYCLE 3: Uncommon ally lord

Shadowborne Swarm-
Creature-Faerie Druid (U)
Whenever Shadowborne Swarm attacks or blocks, sacrifice two lands unless you control a Dryad or Troll.
A thousand pointed eyes. A thousand sharpened blades. A thousand whispered incantations. A thousand screams cut short.
7/7

I dunno, I like it. it's not the most faerie-like design but I think the flavor works, and you can imagine the art being like a dark forest scene with a buttload of Fae glaring at you from the shadows. I also kinda like how even though it's a Druid it's probably maybe better in the Barbarians deck, although of course Druids will give it plenty of extra lands to sac and also the best chance of not needing to, tribe-support-wise. it's also cute how it mirrors the love of lands that both Dryads and Trolls show in their keywords, and it's cute that both those keywords help protect their hosts which makes making this drawback bigger ok 'cause you're more likely able to protect it. note that if you don't have any lands it can attack and block just fine (due largely to the horrific ugliness that stopping that would entail, wording-wise) but it's ok. this was originally gonna have flying but did you know the largest uncommon flier ever printed was a 5/6? (and only sometimes) so down to land it fell. still p solid as a facesmasher.

CYCLE 4: Common I/S, gravetrips

Shadowsword Infiltration-
Sorcery (C)
Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a creature card from it. That player discards that card. Then, if there is a Faerie card in your graveyard, draw a card.
"One quick stab to the base of the neck."~Simi, Shadowsword Harrier

this slot was originally marked for Mind Rot, but I accidentally double-booked that on Qelanian Charm, so I went with targeted discard instead. the big question was what to select for. the obvious thematic choice was noncreatures, but I decided I liked this better 'cause it lets Pester handle the noncreatures and goes after the thing Pester lets through. plus, Ossia is a heavily creature-based format, so noncreature-specific discard is gonna be pretty weak. I like how it probably can't be a two-for-one early which means I can make it cost 2 even though it'd be way too good on 2 if it always drew.

CYCLE 5: Uncommon I/S, charms

Epalan Charm-
Instant (U)
Choose one:
  • Return target creature to its owner's hand.
  • Return target spell to its owner's hand.
  • Draw a card.
Epala plots.

Rush pointed out that unsubstantiate exists but I had already made this and I liked it. I considered doing force spike instead of Remand but I think that might be too good? dunno, I like the symmetry here but maybe the force spike option is better. I do like having a cantrip option on a charm, though, I think that's cute.

CYCLE 6: Rare I/S

Kiber's Reckoning-
Sorcery (R)
If you control a Faerie, then for each token you control, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of that permanent.
Create a 1/1 green Faerie creature token.
Power does not come easily on Epala. It must be claimed, and it must be defended.

was looking through green rares for inspiration, found Second Harvest, thought it'd be really cool. I didn't want to do a traditional rider there 'cause if you have enough tokens to benefit from the effect, you almost certainly control a Faerie anyway, so instead I made the whole thing conditional on the Fae. then I tacked on the second line mostly as a joke 'cause I think it's cute that, if you have no Faeries, one pops up too late to be like "and I helped!" anyway I think this is interesting and might inspire a cross-tribal deck that tries to line this up with things like Roiling Storm to get maximum value. who knows? getting the wording right on the first ability was tricky but I think it's clear enough and I don't hate reading it, even if I don't love it.

anyway next we say hi to the Dryads

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:09 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

what's this two threads in two days? I might actually finish this thing.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:20 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I'm pestering this thread specifically because it says noncreature.

I think Swarm should have an intervening if because adding two stone rains on a doomblade sounds gross. Alternatively, "Unless you control an X or Y, ~ can't attack or block unless you stuff."
I don't like Kiber's Reckoning. The second effect is just so incredibly why.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:21 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Rush suggests making the second mode of Epalan charm only remand noncreatures and I kinda like that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:21 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
I think Swarm should have an intervening if because adding two stone rains on a doomblade sounds gross. Alternatively, "Unless you control an X or Y, ~ can't attack or block unless you stuff."
true true.
Mown wrote:
I don't like Kiber's Reckoning. The second effect is just so incredibly why.
'cause it's funny!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

honestly I think the second ability on Reckoning is super cute but probably not actually pulling its weight. Rush agrees with you, so I'm leaning toward dropping it right now. could use more opinions though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm 

Identity: Male
I think you missed a line on Kiber's Reckoning.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:37 pm 

One double post and one triple post

You have excelled yourself this time razor

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:00 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I think you missed a line on Kiber's Reckoning.

?

Mata Hari wrote:
One double post and one triple post

You have excelled yourself this time razor
s'what I do

I don't have 2% of all posts on NGA for nothing

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:33 pm 

razorborne wrote:

The evidence contradicts this

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:45 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mata Hari wrote:
razorborne wrote:

The evidence contradicts this

well I walked right into that one didn't I

Last edited by razorborne on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:51 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Charm bouncing noncreature spells: yes.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:07 am 

Identity: Male
Never mind. The "then" in the first line of Kiber's Reckoning threw me off. I don't think that is intended.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:13 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Never mind. The "then" in the first line of Kiber's Reckoning threw me off. I don't think that is intended.

it's there because "If you control a Faerie, for each token you control" reads really poorly, so I changed it to a traditional if-then statement. it's unnecessary from a Magic wording perspective but I think it's cleaner.

Like this post