All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:52 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(The Second Flood archives)
(Chirom in FOS)
(Chirom in WVB)

with the rise of the Council, the time has finally come for the Undersociety to rise up and take Chirom from the purebreds, but something has gone wrong. despite Piker's efforts, the Unspoken remain either unwilling or unable to revolt, leaving the Council's plans for the Isle hanging in the wind. it appears they underestimated the instinctive devotion of the Unspoken, who seem to have simply traded one set of masters for another. Piker has become a folk hero among them, and they have come to see him as their salvation, but they remain docile, convinced that Piker can save them all on his own. meanwhile, the waves creep ever closer to the Mouth, and time is running out.

Notable Individuals of Chirom

Kilmek Blackwing: Kilmek has become one of the Council's most dangerous opponents, striking out at their ships and directing his fleets to disrupt their plans as much as possible. he has even found an unlikely ally in Temik Wildsong, the Djinn pirate, and though the two of them operate largely independently, they have formed somewhat of a tacit agreement to allow each other to work. Chirom's fleets have standing orders to not interfere with Temik's business, and in return Temik has begun largely ignoring the bats in his raids. other Djinn have made similar arrangements, and the two Isles are beginning to grow closer through mutual opposition of the Council's plans.

Chilik Whitewing: Chilik, meanwhile, is leading the hunt for Piker. she has organizing raiding parties throughout the Great Deep, rooting out the Undersociety wherever she finds them and making examples of any traitors she can wrap her talons around. her raids have driven the Undersociety deeper into the depths of Chirom, cutting them off from the still-loyal Unspoken up above. she has also begun hunting through those for possible agents, and has executed hundreds, possibly thousands of Unspoken for crimes against the Coal Thrones. she is committed to bringing order back to her Isle, whatever the cost in blood.

Piker the Low: And lastly, we come to perhaps Ossia's most tragic figure, Piker. he is the Council's last hope for a peaceful resolution to the war, but he has proven too effective at recruitment: the Undersociety views him as a savior, one capable of singlehandedly bringing down the Masters of Screams. in truth, of course, he is nothing of the sort, but he cannot convince his people of that, and without them, all hope is lost. the Gargoyles have proposed one last option, but it is not a pleasant one: martyrdom. in life, Piker is a savior, but in death he could become a symbol, a rallying cry that pushes the Unspoken to new heights. despite his resistance, Piker has found no better option: in order for his people to live, he has to die, and soon.

Bats' primary classes Nomad, Minion, and Barbarian. their keyword is Screech:

Screech (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature.)

CYCLE 1: Common dual-class, Small

Undersociety Elder-
Creature-Bat Minion Advisor (C)
Screech (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature.)
When Undersociety Elder dies, it deals 3 damage to target tapped creature.
The Unspoken rarely get to grow old.
1/1

a little weird in that, with a sac outlet, it can 3-damage any creature you want, but I think it's ok. mostly it's killing attacking creatures, or at least creatures that attacked, or sometimes creatures that someone else screeched ok it's a bit of a bleed but white gets like swift retribution and stuff so I'm letting it happen. Screech was tricky to fit in advisors (turns out most of the non-advisor keywords aren't great fits for them. weird, huh.) but this is a nice defensive option that discourages attacking without just being another giant-butt blocker.

CYCLE 2: Common dual-class, Large

Remnant Of The Deep-
Creature-Bat Minion Druid (C)
, exile two other creature cards from your graveyard: Return Remnant Of The Deep from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
"Piker promised salvation, and he will deliver."
3/2

recursion is a bit squicky on a common but the exile clause makes it hard to grind a lot out of so I think it's ok. I wanted a mana sink for Druids, and since it's a minion having some recursion seemed nice. it's a little comparable to Unspoken Survivor but I think different enough that it has reason to exist. it's less a full-on recursion engine and more like a reasonable body that you might get back eventually. plus, in Minions, exiling can be dangerous 'cause of things like Petram Vitae and *REDACTED*

CYCLE 3: Uncommon ally lord

Hellscreamer-
Creature-Bat Nomad (U)
Flying
As long as you control a Centaur or Elemental, Hellscreamer has haste.
"Chirom has no friends, but for now, enemies of enemies will do."~Chilik Whitewing
4/1

went back and forth between 3/1 for 3 and 4/1 for 4, I think they're both reasonable bodies but Nomads don't have a lot of 4-drops so I went with this. I know this is a little different from the others 'cause haste only matters one but I still think it's the right fit for the tribe and it's not like there's no precedent for it probably.

CYCLE 4: Common I/S, gravetrips

Talon Scrape-
Sorcery (C)
Talon Scrape deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If there is a Bat card in your graveyard, draw a card.
Chilik's hunt can only end in blood.

this was hard to balance 'cause it seems like this is too good but tweaking it down in any direction made it too bad. I think Ossia needs better removal so I'm willing to push this one, but I could be talked into other numbers.

CYCLE 5: Uncommon I/S, charms

Chirom Charm-
Instant (U)
Choose one:
  • Target player loses 3 life.
  • Each player sacrifices a creature.
  • Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Chirom devours.

probably primarily an instant-speed Innocent Blood but with other modes for when that's bad.

CYCLE 6: Rare I/S

Rise From The Deep-
Sorcery (R)
Each player returns all creature cards from his or her graveyard to the battlefield. If you control a Bat, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Piker stared over the edge of the abyss and shook his head. There was no other way.

boom! Rush questioned whether this could be white, and white does have some precedent for mass reanimation that isn't weenie-oriented but not a huge amount. I think with the symmetrical effect it's fine, though, and it's a great fit both flavorfully and mechanically. note that the if clause doesn't check until it resolves so even if the bat you control was in your graveyard it counts. I think that's the more intuitive flow.

anyway now that CKY hates me the next thread if Faeries oh boy whoops

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:07 pm 

Identity: Male
What? I don't hate you. I love this. Hellscreamer is like the best card ever.

I do think that Hellscreamer should have a smaller body, because even a 4/1 for 4 with flying is pretty hard to deal with in Limited if you can't answer it. Add haste and that's a mythic rare.

I suggest making Talon Scrape damage creatures only. It's still really good in that scenario.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

What? I don't hate you. I love this. Hellscreamer is like the best card ever.

*ahem*

I do think that Hellscreamer should have a smaller body, because even a 4/1 for 4 with flying is pretty hard to deal with in Limited if you can't answer it. Add haste and that's a mythic rare.
fair. I could see 3/1. it's a little on the weak side, there's plenty of 3/1 fliers with upsides for 3, but those aren't red and the upside isn't haste which is a big deal.

I suggest making Talon Scrape damage creatures only. It's still really good in that scenario.
considered that but I feel like I've been doing that a lot and it'd be nice to have a couple that are more general-purpose burn.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:18 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
it just occurred to me, but when making FOS, did you go out of your way to find tribes that usually fly and then not give a lot of their cards flying

On the list of things I don't like (which, admittedly, is quite large), making white's removal more flexible is one of those things. At least not at common.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:26 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
it just occurred to me, but when making FOS, did you go out of your way to find tribes that usually fly and then not give a lot of their cards flying

not particularly, but yeah, kinda by accident.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:33 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
I don't think talon scrape cantrip is going to happen as much as you think.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:23 pm 

I don't think talon scrape cantrip is going to happen as much as you think.

if it doesn't happen very often that's actually good because :2::r: deal 3 draw is pretty nutso

You know, in theory, but considering the power level of NGAC...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:31 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I think Febb was speaking from a limited (or maybe block constructed) perspective. Ossia as a whole doesn't really have a lot of presence in NGAC except for Kneecapper afaik, and I don't think that's a well kept secret.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:12 pm 

I love Kneecapper, it's almost as obvious a mistake as that one CKY one-drop I forgot the name of

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:21 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mata Hari wrote:
I love Kneecapper, it's almost as obvious a mistake as that one CKY one-drop I forgot the name of

Kneecapper's not a mistake at all. in fair environments it's not that good, and in unfair environments it helps keep decks fair.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:23 pm 

Mown wrote:
On the list of things I don't like (which, admittedly, is quite large), making white's removal more flexible is one of those things. At least not at common.

This isn't much of a stretch from "deal 3 damage to target attacking creature." It's also removal, which Ossia desperately needs.

Mata Hari wrote:

Servator Scientiae

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:33 pm 

razorborne wrote:
Kneecapper's not a mistake at all. in fair environments it's not that good, and in unfair environments it helps keep decks fair.
I'm willing to accept that because I'm willing to accept I don't know what I'm talking about.
Yeah, that thing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:38 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

to be fair NGAC does actually have a pretty unfair creature-based combo deck that Kneecapper buffs up, but that's not my fault, it's Fallingman's.

Mata Hari wrote:
Yeah, that thing.

for the record it was Miracle Chymist but the old version

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 pm 

razorborne wrote:
to be fair NGAC does actually have a pretty unfair creature-based combo deck that Kneecapper buffs up, but that's not my fault, it's Fallingman's.

Lies. You designed Tiller Spawn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:19 am 

razorborne wrote:

It's turn 2, do you swing for 8, or sac into your combo?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:01 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:

yeah, but you're the one who put it in a set.

Like this post