Post subject: [TSF] The Ruins of Qelan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:57 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(The Second Flood archives)
(Qelan in FOS)
(Qelan in WVB)

news of the Council's activities hasn't yet reached Qelan, but its people have plenty of their own problems. as a scattered archipelago, Qelan is uniquely endangered by the rising tides. many of its lower islands have already been consumed, and the tide creeps ever closer to engulfing the whole Isle. furthermore, the changing landscape has shifted or destabilized many of their most important wind corridors, making navigation around the Isle difficult and unpredictable. and meanwhile, the Frigid remain trapped in the Cave of Dreams, venturing out only at night through hidden passages to reinforce their defenses and further provoke their fellow Djinn.

Notable Individuals of Blackrock

Mil'Tar The Cold: Mil'Tar has secluded himself deep within the Cave, with only a few trusted advisors serving as liaisons to the rest of his people. the Frigid take new losses every day, and as they grow more restless, their anger has turned toward their leader, but none so far have successfully challenged his command. meanwhile, Mil'Tar himself spends his time studying the Wheel of Winds in an attempt to figure out how to slow its acceleration before it collapses entirely. he is vaguely aware of the rising tides, and he knows his time is running short, but as yet he has found no solutions, and all the while deadly waters creep closer to the entrance of the Cave.

Mesik the Emblazoned: enraged by Mil'Tar's betrayal, Mesik has returned to the Isle of Winds. she now leads the force laying siege to the Cave of Wonders, although perhaps "leads" isn't quite the right word. she stands on the front lines, pounding away at their armaments, attempting to break through to the Frigid underneath. so far she has been unsuccessful, but every day she and those with her seem to get closer. the Frigid can't replenish their defenses fast enough, and some day soon Mesik and the rest of the Djinn will make it through.

Temik Wildsong: Temik, as a sailor, doesn't mind the rising tides. the waves are getting choppier, but that just makes things more fun for Qelan's most infamous pirate. in his travels he's picked up some news of the Council, and has made it his mission to disrupt their operations, waylaying ships and generally interfering in whatever way seems most entertaining at the time. as such he has become a target for their military members, and has found himself on the receiving end of multiple assassination attempts by daring Fae, but so far he remains at large.

Djinn primary classes are Assassin, Barbarian, and Pirate. their keyword is Assail:

Assail (You may cast this creature for . If you do, it gains haste and "At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this creature.")

FOR THE LAST TIME YES I HAVE HEARD OF DASH AND YES I MADE MINE FIRST OK

CYCLE 1: Common dual-class, Small

Doomed Stonemover-
Creature-Djinn Assassin Minion (C)
Assail (You may cast this creature for . If you do, it gains haste and "At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this creature.")
Every time the Frigid venture out, someone has to seal the door behind them.
2/1

it was pretty easy to figure out what Minions wanted from Assail. they wanted it dirt freaking cheap, so they could just cast it, swing, and sac it to one of their outlets. if it gets in there for 2 first, great. if it gets blocked, nice, used up a blocker. but it's pretty much just a free thing to sac to whatever you want to sac it to. Grimcast Warden? sure. Unspoken Legion? why not. Kimil, Ashbark Desecrator? totally. knock yourself out.

also sure this gives every color a terrible spark elemental but that's a bad card if you can't also play it as a piker.

CYCLE 2: Common dual-class, Large

Desperate Sentinel-
Creature-Djinn Assassin Advisor (C)
Flying, Defender, Assail (You may cast this creature for . If you do, it gains haste and "At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this creature.")
You may cast Desperate Sentinel for its Assail cost as though it had flash.
"We've lost Alqin. We cannot lose the Cave."
4/3

figuring out what Advisors wanted, on the other hand, was tricky. Assail is all about attacking, and Advisors are the class that cares least about attacking, so it was a hard puzzle. I dismissed Flash early because I thought combining it with Assail would be potentially confusing. I dug around for possible attack triggers or damage triggers that might feel Advisor-y, but the problem was they wouldn't be creating openings for those, and nothing felt right. then Rush suggested this, which clears up the Flash confusion by spelling out exactly how the two interact.

I know this is not a strong card. that's kind of on purpose. my understanding from testing was that Advisors were too good at clogging up the board, so I wanted their new tools to not be quite as powerful as some of the other tribes. I think this has some potential as a 22nd or 23rd card, but it's not something you'll be windmill-slamming and that's fine. also, I like 3 toughness so that you're more incentivized to Assail it since it's not great at surviving anyway.

CYCLE 3: Uncommon ally lord

Qelanian Siegemaster-
Creature-Djinn Barbarian (U)
Whenever Qelanian Siegemaster becomes blocked, if you control a Troll or a Bat, defending player loses 3 life.
"Mil'Tar believes that stones will stop us. What a fool."
2/2

punching through things! wooh! this also helps tell a bit of the story, since it shows that Mil'Tar has successfully turned the Djinn's attention inward, at least somewhat. anyway, it seemed like a good fit for Djinn, it's a pretty aggressive beater that, if you have the right support, can hit you even with defenses, but it still dies for it. yeah!

CYCLE 4: Common I/S, gravetrips

Wildsong's Onslaught-
Sorcery (C)
Create two 3/1 red Djinn creature tokens. If there is a Djinn card in your graveyard, draw a card.
"End the war? What fun would that be?"~Temik Wildsong

semi-mirror to Brownie Attack but with bigger, scarier tokens. I considered this at 5 but looking it up red only gets vanilla 6/1s at 5 (at common, anyway) and this is better than that in a couple ways so 6 it is.

CYCLE 5: Uncommon I/S, charms

Qelanian Charm-
Sorcery (U)
Choose one:
  • Target player discards two cards.
  • Destroy target creature with converted mana cost 4 or less.
  • Exile each opponent's graveyard.
Qelan laughs.

I know the fourth mode is overcosted but the beauty of charms is you don't have to care. it's a utility mode. when you want it, you want it, cost doesn't really matter. I considered instant-speed to make it less bad but a) instant-speed mind rots are generally frowned upon, and b) I didn't want people thinking you could do it in response to regrow. you never want to use that mode, and you're not running it for that effect, but if you need it you'll be glad you've got it, and in the meantime you've got pretty passable removal and pretty passable discard.

CYCLE 6: Rare I/S

Gleeful Raid-
Sorcery (R)
Draw a card for each permanent that attacked this turn. If you control a Djinn, untap up to three lands.
Temik smiled. The lizards' green blood mixed so beautifully with the bright red of the centaurs. The waves would wash it all away soon enough, but that only made this fleeting moment finer.

I realized I didn't have a lot of big blue card draw at rare+. might have to do with the fact that blue is weirdly aggro in this set, but I wanted to fix that so I made an aggro card draw option. modeled off Keep Watch, which was a common, but I think the untap clause is high enough impact to justify the raise, especially with the non-standard "permanent" wording to accomodate ships. it's a little similar in function to Milovic's Ruse but I think they're different enough in how they actually play that I'm ok with both existing.

also I know card draw plus untapping lands has led to degeneracy before but a) Ossia doesn't have any multiple-mana-producing lands yet, and b) tying combo pieces to fair-play mechanics like creatures and attacking limits them pretty effectively. see Battle Hymn.

anyway that's Djinn, next is Lizards!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:26 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
I would never play desperate sentinel in any limited format ever.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:37 pm 

Desperate Sentinel is weird in that it's both craptastic and unsuitable for common

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:38 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I would never play desperate sentinel in any limited format ever.

I'm ok with that

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mata Hari wrote:
Desperate Sentinel is weird in that it's both craptastic and unsuitable for common

you're unsuitable for common!

anyway, I disagree, but why do you think that?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:27 pm 

If you've got a new ability, it needs to do what you think it's going to do at common. Common is where most people first see it and where it first struts its stuff. Assail, you get to attack with it for cheap but it dies, right? Fine. Except Desperate Sentinel doesn't do that. It blocks instead. Which is like the exact opposite.

And I don't think the line 'as though it had flash' is suitable for common by itself. A lot of players, even those who know what flash is, are gonna be like "???" at that line. Like I don't wanna underestimate people but you're a custom card designer you're a lot more knowledgeable about the game than a lot of its players.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:39 pm 

I think having flash normally is better. But yes, assail needs to be used offensively.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:03 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mata Hari wrote:
If you've got a new ability, it needs to do what you think it's going to do at common. Common is where most people first see it and where it first struts its stuff. Assail, you get to attack with it for cheap but it dies, right? Fine. Except Desperate Sentinel doesn't do that. It blocks instead. Which is like the exact opposite.
well, yeah, but this is the third set. players will have been playing with Assail in FOS and WVB for 6 months before they ever see Sentinel. it's no longer a new ability.

Mata Hari wrote:
And I don't think the line 'as though it had flash' is suitable for common by itself. A lot of players, even those who know what flash is, are gonna be like "???" at that line. Like I don't wanna underestimate people but you're a custom card designer you're a lot more knowledgeable about the game than a lot of its players.
fair point.

I think having flash normally is better.
problem is, when I was talking to Rush about this, he didn't realize that Flash would let you Assail it at instant speed, and Rush knows the game pretty well. that interaction is un-obvious.

also, on power level, I don't want to change the body but I could change the cost to 3U pretty easily.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:24 pm 

Identity: Male
Gleeful Raid looks straight up insane. It might propel Djinn Aggro into tier 1 all by itself.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:21 pm 

Stonemover seems necessary for the constructed format to thrive. Loving it. Also big buff to assasins.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:53 pm 

I'd play desperate sentinel. I wouldn't even have to be desperate to do it. Just hard off. Mission accomplished.
If you're worried about confusion over whether flash applies to the assail cost, just give it regular flash and throw some reminder text in clarifying the interaction with assail.

Your writeup on Qelaninan charm mentions a "fourth mode". Did you mess up writing that or on the charm?

That last clause in gleeful raid's flavor text is awful. Try "but the sight was all more beautiful for it" or something. Or maybe rework the whole sentence, I don't know. "Fleeting moment finer" just leaves a bad taste.
If the card's too good, maybe replace the second part with "then draw another card for each Djinn that attacked this way". Or maybe add a Djinn bounce effect to play with assail?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
Your writeup on Qelaninan charm mentions a "fourth mode". Did you mess up writing that or on the charm?
nah that's a typo

TPmanW wrote:
That last clause in gleeful raid's flavor text is awful. Try "but the sight was all more beautiful for it" or something. Or maybe rework the whole sentence, I don't know. "Fleeting moment finer" just leaves a bad taste.
you're awful.

yeah I wasn't in love with that but I was tired so I went for it. might rework it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:49 am 

razorborne wrote:

TPmanW wrote:
you're awful.

yeah I wasn't in love with that but I was tired so I went for it. might rework it.

:teach: See that you do.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:45 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
If the first mode of the charm is a Mind Rot, a sorcery, then the second mode could very well be a instant at sorcery speed, right ?

Or Infest, maybe ?

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:40 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

razorborne wrote:
problem is, when I was talking to Rush about this, he didn't realize that Flash would let you Assail it at instant speed, and Rush knows the game pretty well. that interaction is un-obvious.

To be fair, I didn't realize at the time that Assail was an alternative cost. I was going off imperfect memory.

My problem with Desperate Sentinel is that it's trying too hard to fit into a specific need when it really should just exist in its simplest form. After thinking about it, I agree with Pariah that it should just have flash. People will get it. I'd remove defender; it's such an ugly clash with assail and I feel like it only exists to stress the point that this card can be a combat trick.

My preferred version is something like:

Desperate Sentinel-
Flash

3/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

If the first mode of the charm is a Mind Rot, a sorcery, then the second mode could very well be a instant at sorcery speed, right ?

Or Infest, maybe ?

I mean, potentially, but that makes it too strong. and infest can't really be common.

razorborne wrote:

To be fair, I didn't realize at the time that Assail was an alternative cost. I was going off imperfect memory.

My problem with Desperate Sentinel is that it's trying too hard to fit into a specific need when it really should just exist in its simplest form. After thinking about it, I agree with Pariah that it should just have flash. People will get it. I'd remove defender; it's such an ugly clash with assail and I feel like it only exists to stress the point that this card can be a combat trick.
lots of people thought you could counterspell a ninja, so I think it's fair to assume lots of people don't understand the difference between an alternate cost and an activated ability. I suppose there's some level of Mitotic Sliming going on here, though, in that if they see Flash and Assail together they'll assume they interact. I still like the Defender, but I guess I could drop it down to regular flash.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
wait, how does Mitotic Slime educate new players?

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
wait, how does Mitotic Slime educate new players?

there is a common misconception that tokens do not go to the graveyard

Mitotic Slime creates tokens that have a go-to-the-graveyard trigger

players do not seem to have trouble with the idea that those tokens' abilities trigger when they die

the Mitotic Slime principle states that, while players may have rules misunderstandings in general, those misunderstandings will be overruled by the assumption that cards work they way they look like they should.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:59 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:

My preferred version is something like:

Desperate Sentinel-
Flash

3/3
I wound up going with this 'cause my version was too many keywords. I don't love it, but I think people will assume it works the way they want it to.

Like this post