All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:15 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(The Second Flood archives)
(Korrath in FOS)
(Korrath in WVB)

The Isle of Packs has split down the middle, and at the center of that schism stands Kolif the Blind. as the Council became public, many older Mourners flocked to her side, eager to embrace a peaceful path in Jestopher's memory. others, though, were not so convinced. Milovic questions Kolif's decision to hide her machinations from the rest of the wolves, calling it a betrayal of their people. many younger Mourners insist they would have followed her had she been open, but now they are too far down Milovic's path, their losses too great already to abandon now. and as more of the wolves die, new Mourners are forced to claim their packs younger and younger, leaving the Isle's fate in inexperienced, hot-blooded paws.

Notable Individuals of Korrath

Jestopher, the Wisefang: Jestopher is dead, but his legacy still haunts the people of Korrath. his unflagging appeals to his people's better nature echo loudly across the Whisperwood as Mourners and Chosen debate the best path to take in the face of this growing crisis. some allies of Milovic have attempted to sow distrust of the late Wisefang by insinuating that he may have been working with Kolif, that his cries for peace were a smokescreen for the shadowy Council, but for the most part no one believes it. In a world torn apart, the one thing it seems all the wolves can agree on is Jestopher.

Kolif the Blind: of course, that respect does not necessarily carry to his closest friend and confidant. Kolif, once a revered figure across the Isle, is now deeply divisive. she has tried to argue that she had to work in secret, that the Council couldn't risk word of their actions reaching the waiting ears of Fae spies. she knew there would be resistance to the idea, but was fairly certain she could convince her people of the necessity. unfortunately, she again underestimated Milovic, and she finds herself fighting her own people at a time when she can least afford to. she knows if she can't rally them soon then all is lost, and in a last, desperate attempt, she has relocated herself to Mourner's Mount, where she convenes regularly with the ancestral spirits of Korrath. so far, she has failed to reach Jestopher's spirit, but she continues to try.

Milovic the Bolt: Milovic, on the other hand, is deeply frustrated by his people's willingness to tolerate Kolif's foolishness at a time when he needs their service in the Sea Pack. fewer wolves are joining up, leaving Korrath's fleet undermanned, and several of their larger ships have been abandoned for lack of sufficient crew. Milovic's strategy of aggressive tactics is coming under question as death counts rise, but the young, charismatic leader remains in command for now. at times he finds himself loathing Korrath's culture of philosophy and open debate that stalls his push for stronger military action, but he knows that, without it, the wolves wouldn't be who they are. even Milovic mourns the Jestopher's passing, having viewed the old wolf as a strong but respect-worthy opponent. he holds no such respect, however, for Kolif, and is willing to do whatever it takes to keep her from ruining his plans.

Wolves' primary classes are Monk, Advisor, and Scout. their keyword is Convene:

Convene X. (Reveal the top X cards of your library. Put a creature card from among them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.)

CYCLE 1: Common dual-class, Small

Razorclaw Pup-
Creature-Wolf Monk Nomad (C)
, exile Razorclaw Pup from your graveyard: Convene 3. (Reveal the top 3 cards of your library. Put a creature card from among them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.)
"I will be remembered."
3/1

I wasn't sure if I could do this at common, since 3/1s for are often vanilla, but things like Daring Skyjek exist, and besides, the vanilla ones are kinda crap. Rush said I could do it so anyone who has a problem, take it up with Rush.

CYCLE 2: Common dual-class, Large

Inspired Skyhunter-
Creature-Wolf Monk Archer (C)
Reach
When Grizzled Skyhunter enters the battlefield, convene 3. (Reveal the top 3 cards of your library. Put a creature card from among them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.)
An impractical weapon is better than none.
3/3

so I was faced with a bit of a problem here. the cycle demanded a wolf archer, but wolves on Ossia are non-anthropomorphic. after talking it over with Rush, I decided to justify it in the art with a wolf with a bow in its mouth, probably in the style of a Centaur bow that it stole, holding the string down with its front paw to aim it upwards. unfortunately I don't actually have art, so you'll have to imagine that goofiness, but I figure with enough of a wink and a nod I can probably get around the flavor issue well enough.

as for the body, I didn't learn my lesson from the original Prayermaker. or I probably did, but lifelink was a lot better than Reach is.

CYCLE 3: Uncommon ally lord

Adherent of the Lost Home-
Creature-Wolf Advisor (U)
As long as you control a Gargoyle or Elemental, Adherent of the Lost Home has indestructible.
"We have much to learn from the children of stone."
2/1

I'm not heavily invested in the numbers here, they seem about right but I can't guarantee them. I want it to be relatively cheap and thus small, but if people would prefer a 1/1 for 2 or something I'm willing to hear cases.

CYCLE 4: Common I/S, gravetrips

Preemptive Pounce-
Instant
Counter target creature spell. If there is a Wolf card in your graveyard, draw a card.
Milovic didn't like interruptions.

on power here, exclude says this is weak, but they more recently printed bone to ash, indicating that this is probably appropriate.

CYCLE 5: Uncommon I/S, charms

Korrath Charm-
Instant
Choose one:
  • Counter target spell that targets a creature you control.
  • Untap all creatures.
  • Gain 4 life.
Korrath understands.

the original Wolf keyword was called Alert, and it made the creature it was on untap during every untap step, like a personal seedborn muse. in the end I decided that didn't play differently enough from Vigilance so I ditched it for a card advantage engine, but this charm cycle seemed like a good place to pay homage. I went with all creatures, not just yours, 'cause just-yours seems to generally cost with a mild upside, and being a charm is one of those. you can still do the cool combat tricks, but it leaves anything you don't kill up to block so you can't counterstrike as well. I also like life gain on a charm 'cause then you don't have to run a pure life gain card but you still have one. on the first mode I went creature instead of permanent to not strictly-better rebuff the wicked but it's not like rebuff is the top end of the power curve so if y'all want I probably could.

CYCLE 6: Rare I/S

Distant Whispers-
Sorcery
Choose one:
  • Put up to three target cards from your graveyard on the bottom of your library.
  • Shuffle your library
You may cast Distant Whispers from your graveyard as long as you control a Wolf.
Every night, Kolif howls for Jestopher's guidance. Every night she is met with silence.

I wanted to find a way to encourage people to not just shuffle every time, for time-related reasons, and I think this does a decent job of that. anyway I got enamored with the idea of wolves flashing things back, but the mechanisms by which flashback actually works meant that doing the exile thing would be hard to do in real text without being super long. but without that it had to be something you didn't always want, otherwise every bit of extra mana was just a free advantage. this seemed like a good split that I think also helps capture the wolves' ancestor-worship vibe, and Monks' graveyard subtheme. this might be one of my favorite designs so far in TSF so don't say anything mean about it or I will be sad.

wooh! that was way faster than the last one. this might actually finish! next up Djinn because my randomizer just loves the arc races apparently?

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:03 am 

Identity: Male
I think Adherent of the Lost Home would be solid as a 2/1 or a 3/1.

I'd like Distant Whispers better if the first mode was Reclaim (probably broken) or a Gravepurge-like effect. Even then, I don't know if it's worth a card.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I might like Distant Whispers as an unaligned enchantment with an upkeep trigger. As a sorcery where you spend copious mana into a negligible effect, not so much.
Your aggressive 2-drop giving card advantage makes me all kinds of wary, especially since I don't think it has many tokens to run into in your set.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:52 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I think Adherent of the Lost Home would be solid as a 2/1 or a 3/1.
3/1 seems high, but I could see 2/1 for .

I'd like Distant Whispers better if the first mode was Reclaim (probably broken) or a Gravepurge-like effect. Even then, I don't know if it's worth a card.
What if the second mode was "Shuffle ~ into your library, then draw a card"?

Mown wrote:
Your aggressive 2-drop giving card advantage makes me all kinds of wary, especially since I don't think it has many tokens to run into in your set.
there's a decent amount of 1/1 tokens out there thanks to Faeries, but yeah I agree. I was planning to make the activation cost but Rush talked me down. wouldn't solve the CA problem, but would weaken the card a bit, and it's definitely worth noting that 3/1s are generally pretty vulnerable and hard to get a whole lot of value out of.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:01 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

also I could very easily see dropping Whispers to , even with the shuffle-draw modification mentioned above.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:04 pm 

I think it may be better to just turn Distant Whispers into a big flashy Make a Wish or Seasons Past variant. That makes it an appealing Constructed workhorse card, while retaining the "ancestral memories" and "flashback" feel you're going for.

Distant Whispers

Sorcery (R)

Return up to two target cards from your graveyard to your hand. If you control a Wolf, return up to three target cards instead. Exile Distant Whispers.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:05 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Distant Whisper
Sorcery
Put a card from your graveyard on top of your library.
You can play this card from your graveyard as long as you control a Wolf.

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I think it may be better to just turn Distant Whispers into a big flashy Make a Wish or Praetor's Counsel variant. That makes it an appealing Constructed workhorse card, while retaining the "ancestral memories" and "flashback" feel you're going for.

but I like the flashback clause! I could maybe make it do a random regrowth but that's something you always want, which means that you'll burn it whenever you have excess mana, which is problematic from a balancing perspective

Distant Whisper
Sorcery
Put a card from your graveyard on top of your library.
You can play this card from your graveyard as long as you control a Wolf.
I considered that, but it has the problem that, once it's on, it makes the whole game super repetitive, because you can just draw whatever you want to draw every turn. there's no printable cost at which this effect is fun.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:12 pm 

Edited my post whoops

It's easy enough to balance the graveyard-buyback by attaching an additional cost to the effect, like discarding a land, or tapping N Wolves you control, or exiling something from your graveyard.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:19 pm 

Pack's Reunion
Sorcery
Return a any number of creature cards with the same name from your graveyard to your hand.
If you control a Wolf, you may search your library for any number of cards with the that name, and put them into your hand, then shuffle your library.

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:26 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

]It's easy enough to balance the graveyard-buyback by attaching an additional cost to the effect, like discarding a land, or tapping N Wolves you control, or exiling something from your graveyard.

interesting...

Distant Whispers-
Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast Distant Whispers, discard a card.
Return two cards at random from your graveyard to your hand.
You may cast Distant Whispers from your graveyard as long as you control a Wolf.
Every night, Kolif howls for Jestopher's guidance. Every night she is met with silence.

I kinda like that. I could see switching to that. I'll think about it more.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:31 pm 

So I am not interesting, huh ?
:V

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:49 pm 

You better show us a Jestopher spirit card. Only then will I forgive your senseless slaughter.
I feel for Razorclaw Pup. Poor pup. Still a pup.
I think Korrath charm could protect any permanent. It's pretty creature-dependant otherwise.
Distant whispers is bad and you should be sad. And I am mean.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:50 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

So I am not interesting, huh ?
:V

not necessarily. it just didn't match what I wanted for the card.

although the more I think of it the less I like the Make A Wish version too. I think I'm just gonna go with this:

Distant Whispers-
Sorcery
Shuffle any number of cards from your graveyard into your library.

and just accept that it's not gonna be a powerhouse. switching to any number reduces the number of shuffles per turn, plus shortens the card text.

TPmanW wrote:
You better show us a Jestopher spirit card. Only then will I forgive your senseless slaughter.

Geist of Saint Jestopher-
Legendary Creature-Spirit Cleric
Hexproof (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)
Whenever Geist of Saint Jestopher attacks, put a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile that token at end of combat.
2/2

TPmanW wrote:
I think Korrath charm could protect any permanent. It's pretty creature-dependant otherwise.
true, although so's the set. I could see making that change, though.
TPmanW wrote:
Distant whispers is bad and you should be sad. And I am mean.
rude.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:23 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
The suggested fix for dwrk whispers feels uncommon rather than rare.

Convene seems complex at common but I guess once you use ir once or twice its simple enough.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 am 

razorborne wrote:
Hexproof (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)
Whenever Geist of Saint Jestopher attacks, put a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile that token at end of combat.
2/2

card of the year

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:52 pm 

razorborne wrote:
2/2

card of the year

I knew I'd be walking into that, but i had to try. Just should've tried some more exact phrasing.
Listen to the fan demand Razor! Jestopher is the breakout hit of Ossia! He's the Fblthp of Gatecrash, the Charging Badger of Theros!The fans are crying out for Jestopher!

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:22 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
razorborne wrote:
2/2

card of the year

I knew I'd be walking into that, but i had to try. Just should've tried some more exact phrasing.
Listen to the fan demand Razor! Jestopher is the breakout hit of Ossia! He's the Fblthp of Gatecrash, the Charging Badger of Theros!The fans are crying out for Jestopher!

it's nice to know that my carefully crafted doomed hero figure is as popular as a throwaway character named Fblthp.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:48 pm 

razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:
card of the year

it's nice to know that my carefully crafted doomed hero figure is as popular as a throwaway character named Fblthp.

Fblthp may have been an accident, but he found love among the people. There was some real disappointment that he only showed up once.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:40 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

razorborne wrote:
Distant Whispers-
Sorcery
Shuffle any number of cards from your graveyard into your library.

I've thought a lot about this card (and the original) without saying anything. I keep wanting to claim it as unrare, but I think it's fine at achieving rareness. It's got some niche uses and probably has a strong loop deck it can go into. I'd consider bottoming cards shuffling, though. This amount of shuffling seems like such a headache.

Like this post