It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TPortfolioW
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:55 pm 

Identity: Male
New idea- Recruit gets you 1/1 Ally tokens. It would undermine ally decks, if the condition was controlling no allies, but controlling no token allies seems alright. The recruit mechanic would probably the only source of Ally tokens anyway. The specificity might confuse people, but I think it'll work. Am I wrong?
I also like the playstyle it promotes for allies- trying to get an ally to etb as many turns as possible, or holding back to get two at once rather than setting up an arbitrarily large number of triggers at once.

This would require some changes to the cards in my previous post.

Enlistment Agent
Creature- Human Advisor
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
When ~ enters the battlefield, enlist (If you control no Ally tokens, create a 1/1 white Ally creature token.).
1/1
Now I'm starting to worry that this guy's overpowered. I suppose it depends on whether an ally deck can make good use of an aggressive black 1 drop. It helps that it won't trigger anything if played turn 1.

Rush For Glory
Token creatures you control have haste and get +1/+0.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice each token creature you control.
"Go at 'em boys. You'll come home heroes!"
-I think this version is actually more interesting. Now your huge number of tokens can attack immediately. +1/0 and haste isn't really worth it, but the +1/+0 can stack for real damage and you'd run it alongside other tokens-matter cards. I see tokens matter as a good theme to pursue in a WWI set on its own merits.

Civic Pride
Enchantment
When Civic Pride enters the battlefield, Enlist (If you control no Ally tokens, create a 1/1 white Ally creature token.)
Ally token creatures you control and get +1/+1.
-This one is the card that suffers. Remembering that it only helps allies if they are tokens (and only tokens if they're allies) might trip people up.
version2:
Civic Pride
Enchantment
When Civic Pride enters the battlefield, Enlist (If you control no Ally tokens, create a 1/1 white Ally creature token.)
Allies you control and get +1/+1.
-This is much simpler and more applicable. I lose the option of pushing the power level though, once I open up the possibility that this could pump up multiple creatures at once.

Thoughts?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:27 am 

Some of these fit into WWI. Others could fit.

Desperate Diversion
Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a creature. ~ deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target creature or player. You gain that much life.
What we found out there is more valuable than any of us. I just wish all of us could come back with it.

Desperate Defense
Instant
Kicker—Sacrifice a creature. (You may sacrifice a creature in addition to any other costs as you cast this spell.)
Target opponent sacrifices an attacking creature. Then, if ~ was kicked, that player sacrifices another attacking creature.
"Oh I'll hold the line alright. This line ain't moving an inch."

Inspiring Orator
Creature - Human Ally
Rally - Whenever ~ or another Ally enters the battlefield under your control, gain control of target creature with a converted mana of 3 or less until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
2/1
-CMC =< # of alliess would be cool, but worryingly mathy
- I'm leery of heavy color requirements in a multicolor archetype, but then this is a big payoff, even in games where you can't cast it immediately.

Shackles Of Automaton
Equip
You control equipped creature.
"For many years goblinkind held a perverse fascination with the former implements of their servitude. It was as if to say, 'I once feared this thing, and now am its master'" - A History Of The Peoples

Reacquisition
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays . If X is equal to or greater than that spell's converted mana cost, you may instead gain control of target spell. You may choose new targets for it.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:07 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

I would probably reword Reacquisition as modal spell:

Choose one —
  • Counter target spell unless its controller pays .
  • Gain control of target spell with converted mana cost X or less. You may choose new targets for it.

Unless the intent is for your opponent to have to pay mana to keep the spell either way, but that's not what I gathered from reading the card.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 pm 

No, I just wanted to give you a big bonus for paying enough into your counterspell, maybe even to make a usable pay counter.
I'll take that suggestion.

Wrest Away
Instant
Choose one —
  • Counter target spell unless its controller pays .
  • Gain control of target spell with converted mana cost X or less. You may choose new targets for it.
If I can't have it no one will.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 pm 

Just one today.

Creative Spark
Creature - Elemental
Whenever a player casts a spell that does not share its name with a card in any graveyard or on the battlefield, put a Creativity counter on ~.
Whenever a player casts a spell that shares its name with a card in any graveyard or on the battlefield, ~'s base power and toughness become equal to the number of Creativity counters on it until end of turn.
"Sometimes, you get just a little creative inkling..." - Raiker Venn
1/1

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 pm 

For no reason other than me liking it, I've decided to card upthe main cast of Konosuba.

Satou Kazuma
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand. Then you may cast a card with the lowest converted mana cost revealed this way and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.
2/1

Capricious Goddess Aqua
Legendary Creature - God
, : The next time target creature you control would leave the battlefield this turn, instead exile it and return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
1/3

Megumin, Explosive Prodigy
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
, : ~ deals X damage to target creature. Put X -1/-1 counters on ~.
1/3

Vile Crusader, Darkness
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
The first time ~ would be dealt damage each turn, prevent that damage and put that many +1/+1 counters on ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep remove all counters from ~.
2/2

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 pm 

Welcome to the first exciting installment of
TPmanW's TPPT Post-OpW
!!!!!
[Everybody goes yaaaaaaay]
God those were some awful color choices.

Today we'll be looking at a few of TPmanW's TPreviousW Pro Tour entries and how I he could have done better.

TPmanW wrote:
Workspace:

I've already done a multicolor Imperiosaur. A colorless-only equivalent would be good hole-filler for a set, but for Pro Tour? Pshh. Artifact-only mana could swing it with good flavour and abilities. Myr Superion stole an even better option.

I'm going to come back to this.

Gaea's Emissary
Creature - Elemental Avatar
Convoke (Your creatures can help cast this spell. Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for or one mana of that creature's color.)
Spend only mana produced by creatures to cast ~.
If a creature card with flying was tapped with ~'s convoke ability, ~ has flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, and vigilance.
8/8

I have no idea if this actually works as intended.
Myr Superion and Soulflayer lent wording to this card.

Not a bad effort, but the judge commentary points out a critical flaw.
Dudibus wrote:
TPmanW - A really fun card that I wish I could try playing. It's a little too complicated. I don't think it needs the "Spend only mana produced..." because it makes it much harder to play and really narrows down the decks that can support it. It would create a lot of feel bad moments where I really wanted to play a fun card that I just couldn't.

A better version of would drop the restriction, and of course bring the stats in line with that change.
Gaea's Emissary
Creature - Elemental Avatar
Convoke (Your creatures can help cast this spell. Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for or one mana of that creature's color.)
If a creature card with flying was tapped with ~'s convoke ability, ~ has flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, and vigilance.
5/5

That wouldn't meet the contest criteria though

Your task this week is to design a creature card that fits one of the following criteria:

• Has power and toughness that are both at least 3 more than its converted mana cost.
  • Has power and toughness that are both at least 4 less than its converted mana cost.

So the best version for the Pt would be this:
King Of The Beasts
Creature - Beast Avatar
8/8

I felt that a card that wanted you to tap creatures with a variety of abilities couldn't have purely green mana symbols, and the only other way to balance the P/T : mana cost ratio was to go full multicolor.
Yeah, I think I like the middle one best. They're both improvements though.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:03 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
Might come back to this, but it's in a good enough place that I'm ready to see it judged.

Warlock
Emissary To Another World
Creature - Human Wizard
Discard a card, : Create an X/X blue legendary Spirit Avatar creature token with flying named Shadow Of Anzalar, where X is the number of Wizards you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
2/2

Patron
Anzalar The Enlightener
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 blue Wizard token.
, : Target Wizard you control's power and toughness are both equal to the number of cards in your hand until end of turn.
3/3

Spell/art/enchantment
Higher Knowledge
Enchantment
At the beginning of your end step, if the number of cards in your hand is less than the number of Wizards you control, draw cards equal to the difference.
"Join me brothers, that together we may lift the veil and peer into the depths beyond" - Kamchupri, dean of extracommincative studies

Workspace

I got 2nd place here! Anzalar in particular is a nice design, but outside the context of the contest I don't think the magical patron vibe comes through.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:58 pm 

No unifying theme here.

Exhibit Hall
Land
When ~ enters the battlefield, you lose 2 life.
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose a card type. (The card types are artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery, and tribal.)
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to play spells of the chosen type.
-Couldn't think of a great flavour for this. Pretty much it's Ancient Ziggurat for Starstill.
-2 life might be steep, considering that you'd probably play this in a monotype deck, but not all types have an ancient Ziggurat equivalent. I'm split.

Spontaneity
Enchantment
If you would draw a card, instead exile the top two cards of your library. You may play those cards until end of turn.
"Spontaneity is a meticulously prepared art" - Oscar Wilde

Staging Ground
Land
: Add
, , sacrifice ~ and another land: Search your library for two basic lands and put them onto the battlefield tapped.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post