It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:49 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Simple Rules:
  1. Anybody may join.
  2. Serious cards only (No cards meant for Un-sets; humorous flavor text or card names are fine as long as the card could feasibly be seen in a normal set, like Launch Party or Mirror Match).
  3. One card per person (unless otherwise asked for in the criteria*).

Information:
  • The winner of each round this contest will have their card nominated for Card of the Week.
  • Cards are judged primarily by my own opinions, as augmented by available comparisons.
  • The criteria will usually be very vague, with the intention of encouraging many types of entries.
  • As it tends to be an issue when I post criteria, "tribal card" (lowercased) refers to a card that interacts with a specific creature type and "Tribal card" (capitalized) refers to the card type.
  • Rounds are likely going to deal with spoilers for the new set.

Color Code

ROUND 1 CRITERIA:
Closed

ROUND 2 CRITERIA:
Closed

Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Last edited by Edacade on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:22 pm 

To be honest none of these commander mechanics are very interesting. I had to look up what Undaunted was because I completely forgot it existed after I read the spoilers.

Starsurge
Sorcery (M)
Undaunted (This spell costs less to cast for each opponent.)
Starsurge deals 3 damage to each of up to X target creatures or players. You gain life equal to the damage dealt this way.
When you fight against a force of nature, more troops just means more casualties.

Dwarven Vow #7

Last edited by Silly on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:24 pm 

Oversoul of Righteousness
Creature-Spirit Avatar (R)
Flash
Undaunted
When Oversoul of Righteousness enters the battlefield, other permanents you control gain indestructible until end of turn
4/7

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:34 pm 

Infinite Essence-Hunter
:7::u::b:
Creature - Illusion Horror
Myriad, Undaunted
Whenever Infinite Essence-Hunter deals combat damage to an opponent or a planeswalker an opponent controls, each opponent chooses a permanent he or she controls and exiles it unless he or she puts it on top of its owner's library.
"Safety in numbers, bah. Go alone into the Infinite, and step lightly, lest you alert Them to your presence. Only in secrecy are you safe." - Ildavar, Master Loredelver
3/6

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:01 pm 

Stalking Annihilation
Instant
Undaunted
Exile all permanents that entered the battlefield this turn.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:02 pm 

Identity: Female
Drava, Weathered Captain |
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (R)
Undaunted (This spell costs less to cast for each opponent.)
Creature spells you cast have undaunted. (They cost less to cast for each opponent.)
4/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:14 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Peerless Commander
Creature ─ Human Soldier (R)
Undaunted
Other soldiers you control get +1/+1.
When Peerless Commander enters the battlefield create a 1/1 white human soldier creature token for each opponent.
4/4

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:00 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
It of Last Witness
Creature ─ Eldrazi
Devoid; undaunted
Protection from sorceries
If It of Last Witness is the only creature on the battlefield, it is indestructible and has double strike.
"It kept silent vigil over the vast field of our defeat. Afterward, it commenced to burial."
─Tev of Dikkrit

6/5

Last edited by JV on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:40 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Arcane Referendum
Instant
Undaunted
Counter target spell unless a player pays .
Draw a card.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:42 am 

So I have a philosophy when making multiplayer decks which is that I need to be happy with my cards if I am dueling. The premise is that multiplayer is about politics until there are only two players left, and then I have to rely on my wits and the quality of my cards.

Undaunted is exactly the opposite of this.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:39 am 

Atos, Coliseum Champion
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Warrior
Defender, undaunted (This spell costs less to cast for each opponent.)
All damage that would be dealt to you is dealt to Atos, Coliseum Champion instead.
At the beginning of combat on each opponent's turn, target creature that player controls attacks you or a planeswalker you control this turn if able.
3/7

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:41 am 

So I have a philosophy when making multiplayer decks which is that I need to be happy with my cards if I am dueling. The premise is that multiplayer is about politics until there are only two players left, and then I have to rely on my wits and the quality of my cards.

Undaunted is exactly the opposite of this.

I have a similar problem with Undaunted?

My problem with undaunted is that it tends to force "win-more" cards. Cards that, with more opponents, do more while costing less.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:44 am 

Yeah ... this mechanic is not really that useful outside of making early bomby plays.

Anywho submission time!

Dark Invitation
Sorcery [R]
Undaunted
Target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life. Repeat this process X times.
"Why would I ever turn away more guests for dinner?" - Olivia Voldaren

Basing off of Exsanguinate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:13 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

My primary issue with Undaunted is that it basically just adjusts the playability of the card according to how many you play with, it doesn't offer anything interesting you can play with (except stax effects with 12+ players.)
Which is why I made an effect that is weaker with more players (both inherently and mechanically), so it's ideally kind of even regardless of player count.
My problem with undaunted is that it tends to force "win-more" cards. Cards that, with more opponents, do more while costing less.

That's still not what win-more means. Win-more means cards that helps you while you are ahead. Having more opponents has a negative correlation with your chance of success, so it's the exact opposite.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:42 am 

Mown wrote:

That's still not what win-more means. Win-more means cards that helps you while you are ahead. Having more opponents has a negative correlation with your chance of success, so it's the exact opposite.

Perhaps "win-more" is the wrong choice of words, but I'm still peeved that these cards do more while getting cheaper. That doesn't seem right. If they did more while costing the same (like most "each player" or "each opponent" cards do), I'd have less of a problem.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:55 am 

Just pointing out for the people who have made monocolored cards with Undaunted (and using a quote instead of editing the OP since there's no way to prove I didn't add text if I edit it):

Edacade wrote:
ROUND 1 CRITERIA: Make a multicolored card with Undaunted.

Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:11 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Perhaps "win-more" is the wrong choice of words, but I'm still peeved that these cards do more while getting cheaper. That doesn't seem right. If they did more while costing the same (like most "each player" or "each opponent" cards do), I'd have less of a problem.

Why? Does Mycosynth Golem also peeve you, since it does more while getting cheaper?
Besides, neither of the two cards spoiled so far do more with more players. They do the same thing. Wrath and Evacuate aren't better with more players; they're equal. It's targeted disruptive cards that get worse. Mind Rot becomes less effective with each opponent, while Divination remains the same, because it advances you equally in comparison to each opponent, while Mind Rot puts you worse off in comparison to every opponent but one.
And ultimately, I don't understand why it bothers you that an X-mana effect becomes cheaper with more opponents, while you're okay with an X-mana card becoming more effective with more opponents. They both accomplish the same thing, casting a disproportionally powerful effect for the mana invested. Undaunted also leads to a better experience, since it doesn't make your cards complete trash when players are eliminated, they just make them more expensive, at a point where you have more mana.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:18 pm 

Ambitious Collectors -
Creature - Human Priest
Undaunted, Extort
Whenever you extort, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
4/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:29 pm 

Mown wrote:

Why? Does Mycosynth Golem also peeve you, since it does more while getting cheaper?

Mycosynth Golem is the lynchpin of a bah-roken deck archetype...
Mown wrote:
Wrath and Evacuate aren't better with more players; they're equal.

Consider the following two scenarios with the Undaunted wrath:

1) Dual Commander; both players have 3 creatures. The undaunted Wrath costs and destroys six creatures, three (50%) of which don't belong to you.
2) 5-player; each player has 3 creatures. The undaunted Wrath costs and destroys fifteen creatures, twelve (80%) of which don't belong to you.

Equal? I think not. Too big a gulf? I think so. FWIW, I had the same gripe with Crush of Tentacles and a lot of the other Surge cards.

Mown wrote:
And ultimately, I don't understand why it bothers you that an X-mana effect becomes cheaper with more opponents, while you're okay with an X-mana card becoming more effective with more opponents.

I'm OK with it being cheaper OR with it being more effective, but not both. FWIW, I'd be willing to bet there's some sort of monored Earthquake effect with Undaunting in this set. Let's again go back to a 2-player scenario and a 5-player one. If it's a 5-player card, it deals either 2.5x the damage (if it damages you) or 4x the damage (if it doesn't), while costing less.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:12 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Mycosynth Golem is the lynchpin of a bah-roken deck archetype...

Objectively false. Affinity does not play Mycosynth Golem, and I don't believe it ever has.
Equal? I think not. Too big a gulf? I think so. FWIW, I had the same gripe with Crush of Tentacles and a lot of the other Surge cards.

Scenario 1: Each player is down 3 creatures.
Scenario 2: Each player is down 3 creatures.
You can't judge the value of Wrath in terms of how many creatures it destroys. Wrathing the board of 5 players does not put you further ahead in the game than Wrathing the board of 2 players. Otherwise, you are arguing that Doom Blade is just as effective in single player as it is in multiplayer, which is blatantly false, because it negatively effects you compared to N-1 opponents. Wrathing a board of 15 creatures in multiplayer is not the equivalent of wrathing a board of 15 creatures in a duel.

I'm OK with it being cheaper OR with it being more effective, but not both. FWIW, I'd be willing to bet there's some sort of monored Earthquake effect with Undaunting in this set. Let's again go back to a 2-player scenario and a 5-player one. If it's a 5-player card, it deals either 2.5x the damage (if it damages you) or 4x the damage (if it doesn't), while costing less.

That still doesn't make it "better". Dealing damage to every opponent doesn't become better with more opponents, because for every new player you hit, there's a new player that benefits from every opponent you hit. Wrathing everyone's creatures doesn't just benefit you, because they're not all going to attack you. When evaluating a card for multiplayer, you have to look at how it puts you relative to your opponents. The amount of absolute damage dealt or creatures destroyed don't matter, unless there's a card that explicitly rewards you for it (in which case, that would be the card that becomes better with more players.)

Like this post