2 Illusory Unit
2 Merfolk Tactican
2 Cunning Saboteurs
2 Unsummon
2 Evolving Wilds
10 Plains
10 Island

Spoiler

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Last edited by UselessCommon on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:14 am, edited 13 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:26 pm 

Comments:
Blessed Armaments certainly isn't white. It's infringing on green's ability to get more permanent, larger boosts in p/t.
Merfolk Tactician is misspelled, but also "that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step" seems sufficient enough. Sure, there are some ways to untap outside of the untap step, but those are rare.
Cunning Saboteurs seems really strong. If Separatist Voidmage is the baseline, flash makes this ability closer to or . If it's not a may (like Aether Adept, for instance), then it's possibly doable...
Assuming Frontline Commander == Assault Commander, it's a little odd to have this ability on a 0/2 creature.
Walk Through 200 Lashes sounds like it should have a flavorful connection, but it doesn't appear to do so.
Compare Tactical Squad to Fleetwood Panther, a card in two colors that get cheap, efficient creatures. Next, compare it to Hussar Patrol. The combination prove that it should either cost more or be 2/4 or maybe 2/3.
The wording on Ingenious Officer needs some work.
Illusory Giant as a 5/5 would be a little more balanced.
Counter-Intelligence Agent doesn't work well in multiples.
Calvary Reinforcements does something that Magic no longer does - it cares about graveyard order. This was abandoned long, long ago. I would edit it to put target creature with converted mana cost 3 or less on top of your library instead.

I'm impressed with your ability to churn out cards! :D
Also, I really like a lot of your ideas!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:20 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
I don't want to make any cards trash. I just checked how I would see those cards.
This is a tempo deck : it wants to have a huge board for itself, and no board for opponent.
Aura is a small bend IMHO, and serves this deck better than any gimmick keyword one. Giant was 7/7 originally, cause 6/6 blank is a baseline for 5 mana, and ability is still a drawback. But I thought it's ok for him have 5 toughness, because it's just as useful in tempo deck, just worse in other.
Squad is because 4/4 blank for 1xy is a baseline, and flash isn't worth full -1/-1
Lashes idea is that poor opponent's guy is forced to walk between the lines of your soldiers, while they hit him with lashes, and it boosts your troop's morale. W can be sadistic...
Note how this deck contains no cards that are just OP cause they are white like Tophan Freeblade.
Every cool thing has a drawback/high cost.
Lands coming soon.

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:53 pm 

Identity: Male
There are no "1XY" 4/4 creatures in existence that have no abilities. The cheapest 4/4 creature with no abilities is Rhox Brute (actually, it's tied with Rumbling Baloth, but Rhox Brute serves as the better example since you claim 1XY vanilla is the baseline for a 4/4 body, which it's clearly not if you had done any research at all).

6/6 vanilla is also not a baseline for 5 mana. The cheapest 6/6 vanilla creatures are Cowl Prowler and Kindercatch. Notice that they cost exactly the same (CMC 6) and are green.

To answer your question: No, I don't miss Intro Decks.

Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:33 am 

Edacade wrote:
There are no "1XY" 4/4 creatures in existence that have no abilities. The cheapest 4/4 creature with no abilities is Rhox Brute (actually, it's tied with Rumbling Baloth, but Rhox Brute serves as the better example since you claim 1XY vanilla is the baseline for a 4/4 body, which it's clearly not if you had done any research at all).

6/6 vanilla is also not a baseline for 5 mana. The cheapest 6/6 vanilla creatures are Cowl Prowler and Kindercatch. Notice that they cost exactly the same (CMC 6) and are green.

To answer your question: No, I don't miss Intro Decks.

Ok ... just a minor reminder: Doran, the Siege-Tower is effectively a 5/5 for XYZ with a build-around ability at the cost of being Legendary, Woolly Thoctar is a vanilla 5/4 for XYZ, Anafenza, the Foremost is a 4/4 with two one-sided beneficial abilities at the cost of being legendary.

In fact, here's a list where you can pick and choose what to look at (just with Green Multicolor alone, mind you) ... my favorite example being Fanatic of Xenagos with can become a 4/4 with Trample for 1RG or a 4/4 with Trample and Haste in its first turn before becoming a 3/3. EDIT: Ooh: another good one: Loxodon Smiter

Of course, we're talking WU here, as well as being in a competitively relevant tribe (Merfolk), which the baseline for a 4/4 so far would be ... Plumeveil? But that's triple hybrid with Defender, Flash, and Flying ... also not a relevant tribe.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:45 am 

But he's saying a blank 4/4 is 1XY. Not XYZ. Not with abilities. BLANK. Which to the rest of us is VANILLA.

Rares and Mythics are not "baseline" examples. Uncommons shouldn't be but I admit that they can be.

Up High, Down Low, Whoops, Too Slow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:32 am 

Edacade wrote:
But he's saying a blank 4/4 is 1XY. Not XYZ. Not with abilities. BLANK. Which to the rest of us is VANILLA.

Rares and Mythics are not "baseline" examples. Uncommons shouldn't be but I admit that they can be.

What are we arguing exactly? That any 1XY Vanilla 4/4 is undercosted? Or that a common 1XY Vanila 4/4 is undercosted.

The former is what I had interpreted your post to mean earlier, in which I responded with examples of 4/4s, 5/4s, 5/5s, etc. that were above the supposed baseline for 1XY and XYZ. Given the appropriate measures to reduce power-level, rarity, and casting difficulty, I'd say that a vanilla 1XY, without any precedent, is not totally out of the realm of feasibility for a design at an appropriate rarity.

However, a common 1XY Vanilla is another thing all together. Which, if that's what you meant by baseline, then I apologize for misinterpreting that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:46 am 

"Rares and Mythics are not "baseline" examples. Uncommons shouldn't be but I admit that they can be."
Don't listen to Edacade. Ever please no offense edacade .
Announcement : All my cards are trying to have the same power level, no matter what rarity.

Edit : Common 4/4 vanilla for 1xy ? Sure !
........Common 8/8 for 4xx ? Why not !
As long as common removal, aggression etc are also that good, all should be fine !

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:10 am 

Just noticed how two Counterintelligence Agents on board lead to superposition of hexproof and not hexproof. I figured out a fix tho.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:05 pm 

Updates !
Updates !
Upd
......a
........t
.........e
...........s

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:38 pm 

So....comments:

Second-line Fighter - The closest analogs I found to this card are Zealous Guardian, Whitemane Lion, and Benalish Knight. Basically, this card is not a common and is too complex at common for an intro deck. It would work mildly better if it cost three mana and you gave it a surge cost of one.

Human Legionnaire - This is Blade of the Sixth Pride and that's fine.

Mustered Archers - This is not a common effect. Also it is a little confusing on if it deals it's damage in a first strike capacity or not. I'm pretty sure it does, and if it does it is way too strong for common as it warps combat in a bad way.

Blessed Armaments - Wizards has mostly moved this kind of effect to Green at common. White does still get some big boosting auras occasionally at rare and uncommon though.

Superior Position - This is too cheap at almost any rarity. There are a few creatures in white that pass out first strike while attacking, but a one-mana combat trick is no place for this.

Phantom Trooper - Phantasmal Bear approves. I don't know if being part of a relevant creature type like Soldier would make this too strong or not. I think it's okay.

Illusory Unit - I don't think you need two of these kinds of things that are so very close (just a bigger Phantom Trooper).

Merfolk Tactican - Seems a little strong, but within the bounds of a common. Maybe if it were a 2/1?

Cunning Saboteurs - Mist Raven is your baseline here and Flash tends to be more expensive than Flying. This should probably cost five mana if it is a common.

Frontline Commander - This seems fine.

Walk Through 200 Lashes - This is a flavor miss for me and a weird way to try and get around your illusion creature downside. Also it's just too wordy and tries to do too much in an inelegant way.

Tactical Squad - Three mana flash creatures in Blue and/or White almost never have a power greater than two. The most notable exceptions being a rare and a wall. I'd crank this down to 2/3.

Countertactis - This is a worse Stubborn Denial. I would have it work similar, but having more creatures trigger the bonus instead of having a big creature.

Ingenious Officer - Is it weird that this creature almost feels Green to me?

Illusory Giant - He's too big and you tacked on a draw rider to an already good downside mechanic.

Legion's Outpost - Still seems weird (like the Red/Black one), but maybe it just needs played with?

Counterintelligence Agent - This is more Lord of the Unreal for cheaper cost. I'm not a fan.

Cavalary Wing - Seems okay-ish for a rare.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:47 pm 

What deck you would bet on ? What would you play ?
"within the bounds of a common"
"should probably cost five mana if it is a common"
again...

"Flash tends to be more expensive than Flying"
ORLY ???
Bounding Krasis

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 pm 

What deck you would bet on ? What would you play ?

I think I'd have more fun with this one over the Black/Red one. Its lines of play are cleaner and it has better unity and cohesion.
"within the bounds of a common"
"should probably cost five mana if it is a common"
again...
If you're going to mark something as common, it kinda needs to live up to the logo. New players sometimes use the rarity symbol to game power level and effectiveness of their cards. Commons don't have a very high ceiling.

Quote:
"Flash tends to be more expensive than Flying"
ORLY ???
Bounding Krasis
A Green and Blue card. Green gets efficient medium sized creatures cheaper.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:53 pm 

"Mustered Archers - This is not a common effect. Also it is a little confusing on if it deals it's damage in a first strike capacity or not. I'm pretty sure it does, and if it does it is way too strong for common as it warps combat in a bad way."
That's why it's stats are that bad.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:55 pm 

"Mustered Archers - This is not a common effect. Also it is a little confusing on if it deals it's damage in a first strike capacity or not. I'm pretty sure it does, and if it does it is way too strong for common as it warps combat in a bad way."
That's why it's stats are that bad.
If it was a 1/1 or a 1/2 it would have "bad stats." A two power creature with first strike is not bad. One that can first strike creatures it isn't even in combat with is amazing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 pm 

When I told to you about flying being undesirable in tempo deck - do you see it now ?
Efficent 3 drops are in range of white.
Every card of mine tries to be amazing! (but not above-curve for nothing)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:59 pm 

You read Archers wrong. They can only damage attackers/blockers. Non-blockers are safe.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:02 pm 

When I told to you about flying being undesirable in tempo deck - do you see it now ?
See you keep saying that, but I'd much rather play this mono-blue budget Modern Faeries tempo deck (in which literally every creature flies) than this intro deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 pm 

You read Archers wrong. They can only damage attackers/blockers. Non-blockers are safe.
No, I read it right. What I meant was they could hit creatures that they were not directly in combat with that also happen to be attack or blocking. That's still amazing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:12 pm 

"Superior Position - This is too cheap at almost any rarity. There are a few creatures in white that pass out first strike while attacking, but a one-mana combat trick is no place for this."
I may remove Scry, but you are the first to say it's OP.
Giant isn't OP. Scary, but easily removable. Would be really bad without draw/7 atk

Like this post