It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:05 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

(Last time I tried this.)

The next post I was planning on was going to be about general archetypes found in Otaria: Civil War. However, I realized I had a problem. The Order (R/W) had a theme but no major mechanic, which felt odd considering they were one of the big factions. The Resistance (U/R) had a sort of on-hit theme, but the most on-hit related mechanic was Strategic, which at the time was mostly W/G. It was kind of a mess, overall.

While I liked Strategic, I thought it might feel bad having to choose between damage or the effect instead of having your cake and eating it too. Plus, it made design space a little strained, since the strategic effects had to be balanced against the damage you were giving up (most Strategic creatures only had 1 or 2 power because at higher numbers you'd rather just have the damage).

Long story short, I revamped some stuff to make things fit together better. Without further ado:

Assault
Assault — <cost>, Reveal <cardname> from your handuntil end of combat: <effect>. (Activate this ability only during your declare attackers step and only once each turn.)

Example: Barkskin

No mechanical changes here, but Assault is now primarily in Red and Green, with minor showings in the other colors.

Clash
(To clash, each clashing player reveals the top card of his or her library, then puts that card on the top or bottom. A player wins if his or her card had a higher converted mana cost.)

Example: Haunting Monstrosity

Clash probably changed the least. Blue and Black use it a lot, and green dabbles.

Mobilize
Mobilize — If you control three or more creatures, <effect>.

Example: Blitz Commander

Presenting: the least inspired mechanic in the world, the love-child of Metalcraft and Battalion. This is Red and White, and it's the Order's signature mechanic. They always had a "go-wide" theme (surprise), so this is just something to tie Order cards together.

Intercept
Intercept <cost> (<cost>, Return a blocker you control to your hand: Put this creature onto the battlefield from your hand blocking the same creatures.)

Example: Smokebomb Escapist

Another mechanic relatively unscathed from the original draft. Intercept belongs mainly to White and Blue.

Vulnerable
(A player that is dealt combat damage is vulnerable until the end of his or her next turn.)

Example: Raid the Academy

This is the replacement for Strategic, designed mainly for the U/R Resistance. It still has a little bit of the "make sure you're hitting your enemies for value" flavor that I wanted from Strategic, but it's more flexible, non-linear, and you don't have to give up damage for the bonus. Cards like the previously-spoiled Backalley Prowler have been retrofitted to use vulnerable as a pseudo-Bloodthirst.

Last edited by Temjen on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:27 am 

I really like Vulnerable.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:34 am 
YMtC Champ '10

Preferred Pronoun Set: dude
Yeah I'm with CKY, Vulnerable is super sweet, I dig it a lot.

I'm also pretty sure the cost for Assault can't be a cost since you can't actually pay the whole cost right away. It's... hard to explain, but you kinda have to pay the cost over an extended time, but that's not how costs work.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:00 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Vulnerable is a strange name, as opposed to something like wounded.
Barkskin's assault is not okay.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:40 am 

Identity: Unknown
Preferred Pronoun Set: ki/kin/kins/kingself
Elevate wrote:
I'm also pretty sure the cost for Assault can't be a cost since you can't actually pay the whole cost right away. It's... hard to explain, but you kinda have to pay the cost over an extended time, but that's not how costs work.

This is probably true. But the "only each each turn" part of the ability is hard to accomplish. Maybe it could be "exile and return at end of combat" or something. Or just do it like Forecast at the beginning of combat or after blockers are declared (so that it can work with most cards).

From all the abilities I like Intercept the most probably. And Clash, I love Clash. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:10 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Assault started off as literally a phase-shifted Forecast. I added the "until end of combat" not for any mechanical reason, but because I figured it'd make combat math easier (you could just leave the card on the table so no one forgot about the effects). I didn't really consider what that would do for the actual working-ness of the mechanic. I can just drop it. After all, if the game is okay with Forecast creating effects people have to remember until they're relevant, it should be fine with Assault.

@Mown: Power level concerns with Barkskin's Assualt? Or the same "this-doesn't-work" concerns with the mechanic as a whole as others mentioned?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:31 pm 

Also, what happens when you want to cast an Assault spell that is currently revealed? You get both effects? Only one of them?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:21 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Temjen wrote:
@Mown: Power level concerns with Barkskin's Assualt? Or the same "this-doesn't-work" concerns with the mechanic as a whole as others mentioned?

Power level. It completely shuts down trading with a marginal opportunity cost. The assault cost should at least be 3 or something I'd imagine, but I'd be inclined to cost it even higher.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:10 pm 

Vulnerable is a strange name. I'd give it something like "expedien(t/cy)", "platform", or "opportuni(sm/ty)" to describe such an effect. Definitely a effect, and I suggest changing the text to "when a player loses life" for that fact. I'd even say that a necromancy spell wouldn't be so bad with the mechanic, like this:

Vile Return
Sorcery
Return target creature from your graveyard to your hand. Target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Expediency (Do the below block of text if another player already lost life when you cast this spell.)
{Put that creature onto the battlefield instead of into your hand.}

I'd like to see stuff like Battalion revamped in this manner. Trying to distinguish between an ability word and a keyword is really annoying.

One last group of suggestions:

Phantom Armada
Sorcery
Put 2 1/1 blue Illusion creature tokens onto the battlefield. They have "when this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it.".
Expediency (Do the below block of text if another player already lost life when you cast this spell.)
{Put 2 1/1 blue Spirit creature tokens onto the battlefield instead without the abilities above. These tokens gain flying.}

Reactive Blast
Instant
An opponent may pay :2: when this spell is cast. If someone does, counter this spell.
~ deals 3 damage to target player.
{The targeted player loses life equal to the amount of life they lost this turn instead. Discard your hand.}

Greedy Looting
Sorcery
Draw a card, then discard a card.
Put one Gold artifact token onto the battlefield with "sacrifice this artifact: add :1: of any color to your mana pool."
{Instead of doing the above, put three of those tokens onto the battlefield and draw a card.}

Gatewatch Skaab
Creature - Zombie
As an additional cost to casting ~, exile a creature from your graveyard.
Expediency (Do the below block of text if another player already lost life when this enters the battlefield.)
{Exile three creature cards from target player's graveyard and put 3 +1/+1 counters on ~.}
1/4

Okay, I went nuts with this idea. Sue me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:28 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Anyone else notice that the two faction names that we know about, The Order and The Resistance, bear remarkable similarity to the names from Star Wars: the Force Awakens? You've been watching Star Wars, Temjen.

Agreed on Vulnerable. Great mechanic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:49 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Mown wrote:
Power level. It completely shuts down trading with a marginal opportunity cost. The assault cost should at least be 3 or something I'd imagine, but I'd be inclined to cost it even higher.

Oops. Yeah, that's totally right. Assault was added to this card late, when I was trying to push the mechanic more toward green. I'll have to fix that...
Anyone else notice that the two faction names that we know about, The Order and The Resistance, bear remarkable similarity to the names from Star Wars: the Force Awakens? You've been watching Star Wars, Temjen.

Star Wars has been watching me. :incognito:

Like this post