It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:43 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Me again! Today, I'd like to show off the main players in Otaria: Civil War.

As the name implies, war has come to the shores of Otaria. This land is no stranger to conflict, from the brutal pit fights to the chaos caused by a false god. With the death of the Cabal Patriarch in Legions and the chaos that followed, the Cabal lost most of their power in Otaria. In their place, the Order stepped in to keep the populace safe, and for a while, things were good. Even during the time rift crises of Time Spiral, Otaria's natural seclusion from the rest of Dominaria and the protection of the Order carried them through the worst of it.

Not long after the Mending, things began to change. A new leader rose to the top ranks of the Order. No one was quite sure where he came from, but his battlefield prowess and experience spoke for themselves. Those that served with him would whisper about how he seemed to take a little to much pleasure in combat, but respected him nonetheless. When he assumed command, it should have been a time of unrivaled peace, but he didn't relent. Enacting more laws and harsher punishments than any of his predecessors, he claimed it was to ensure no future catastrophes would ever harm their lands.

Meet Warmaster Garrod

Eventually, some of the general populace had had enough. They were fed up with the taxes, the curfews, the constant surveillance. They might be "safe", but they weren't free. Thus, the Resistance was formed. Determined to destabilize the Order, they would use the Orders rigidity and structure against them. They were unpredictable, striking a storehouse or supply caravan like lightning then disappearing into the night. Though there was no organized hierarchy, some members definitely held more sway than others.

Belissa, of Cops vs Robbers Fame

Bel was one such member. Her ability to melt away into the back alleys and escape any situation were unmatched. So much so, that she earned the particular ire of the Order. After many failed capture attempts, Garrod turned to outside assistance. He put a reward out for any that could capture her and turn her over alive, so she could be made an example of. Of course, where there are bounties, there are bounty hunters...

Vikella, Bounty Hunter

Lacking the morals of the Order, Vikella wasted no time - Instead of going for Belissa, she captured a young Resistance member after a failed raid on an Order storehouse. She sent out word that unless Belissa turned herself over by the next new moon, the boy would be punished for all of the Resistance's crimes in her stead, and summarily executed. Shocked that the Order would stoop so low by allowing this, and not wanting to sacrifice her fellow freedom fighter, Belissa surrendered. Consigned to an Order dungeon to await her fate, she was sure her time was up.

Elsewhere in the multiverse, a certain interplanar scoundrel was following rumors of an incredibly powerful artifact. Eventually, he found his way to its last known resting place: Otaria. From past experience, he figured the most valuable prize would be in the most heavily-guarded building around - the Order Citadel. Sneaking his way into the building, he did not find his prize, but he did find Belissa. He listened to her story, and made up his mind. He had been unable to help his hometown of Drakeston, but here, he could really make a difference. He and Belissa escaped, and he vowed to aid the Resistance until the Order's hold on the continent was broken.

The Greatest Thief in the Multiverse!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:44 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

The whole (First) Order / Resistance thing was unintentional (or at least done subconsciously?)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
is the boy cute?
this is an important question

Less seriously, how is green relevant?
First Strike + Deathtouch is too easy.
Dack could just give everything unblockable, unless there's supposed to be some flavor reason not to. The first and second ability already contradict in terms of what deck they want to be in, and if you're making everything unblockable, it also means they can probably swing back and kill Dack a lot of the time.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:10 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Seems weird that a bounty hunter would fight so defensively.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:51 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male

Ah, but Vikella is the crafty type. Big on the whole trap/hostage angle.

I want to see Dack use his ultimate escape trick :plot: only to find that the angry Garrod is able to follow him across the planes. :panic:
Dack's ultimate is very cool.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:29 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1

Not really, mekansm has been the build since TI5.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:56 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

The boy didn't exist until about a minute before I had to write that paragraph. Let's say he ugly as a troll, but Belissa's just that nice of a gal.

I have a green legendary who was almost in this post, but I can't figure out how it fits in. Currently leaning towards the Kamahlite Druids having tamed Krosa, and offering refuge from the fighting.

Vikella's bounties are supposed to be reactionary - only those that commit the crime (combat) get marked. The keyword combo might be too much, though. (Plus, I'm already using it elsewhere.)

Aside from both ultimates, I'm not totally sold on either 'walker yet. Definitely room for improvement.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:08 pm 

Mown wrote:
Less seriously, how is green relevant?
First Strike + Deathtouch is too easy.

Green draws cards. Especially on the basis of creatures.

Also Vikella is a bit too strong. It needs a higher mana cost.

I think it's strange for Garrod to be red when he enacts horrible laws that cause people to suffer. That's kind of the thing red fights against. Honestly it would be better to try again with an entirely different color combination.

Like this post