All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [WVB] Warlords of Kemil
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:02 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Wavebreak archives)
(Heroes of Kemil)

I'm just gonna get to the cycles people. simpler that way. at this point if you care you probably already know, and if you don't there's links in the archive.

CYCLE 1: RACE OR CLASS LORD

Thundertrail's Enforcer-
Creature-Centaur Monk (R)
Double strike
Other Centaurs you control have double strike.
Kogoth keeps close company.
2/2

sometimes the best solution to a problem is to do something that already exists. Kinsbaile Skirmisher worked for Knights, this should work for Centaurs. I even considered buffing it up because Centaurs have slightly low power relative to cost due to Volley, but I decided to leave it because double strike is pretty nuts, and Knights often have first strike so they similarly can't fully benefit from double strike so let's call it a wash. also, this is absolutely insane already next to Kogoth Thundertrail so I don't think it needs much help.

CYCLE 2: MYTHIC W/RACE KEYWORD

Boltstorm Virtuoso-
Creature-Centaur Archer (R)
Volley (Whenever this creature attacks, it deals 1 damage to defending player.)
Whenever Boltstorm Virtuoso attacks or becomes blocked, exile the top card of your library. You may play it this turn.
"If the Ringpeaks are to hold, there can be nothing held back."~Stollik Arrowhoof
1/2

fun fact: there has never been an "attacks or becomes blocked" trigger. it seemed fun, so I did this in the classic vein of red three-drop mythics that swing for 2 and potentially let you chandraw two cards in a turn. you know, the one with Prophetic Flamespeaker. and nothing else.

I went back and forth on whether the two "hold" conjugations in the flavor text was awkward or effective repetition. I fell on the effective side but if y'all yell at me I may fix it. or not, who knows.

CYCLE 3: RARE LEGEND DUAL-LORD

razorborne wrote:
Saurim the Cloudfoot: Saurim is the leader of the largest herd on Kemil. almost ten thousand thousand Centaurs report to her. in Herdmeets, she is often deferred to by lesser herd leaders hoping to gain favor so her herd doesn't obliterate them for fun. however, as the War goes on, Saurim has lost her taste for violence against her fellow Centaurs. she'll raid a camp here and there to keep up appearance, but she has turned her attention to much bigger prizes. what good is the Redgrass Plain, she preaches to her herd, when we could have the whole of Ossia? her first target is Blackrock, for its massive size and strategic central location.
razorborne wrote:
Saurim the Cloudfoot: stepping away from the Ringpeaks, Saurim's herd has grown more than double since we last saw it. now standing almost twenty-five thousand strong, Saurim's herd is a monster to behold, as brutal as it is ruthlessly efficient, a martial symphony of training and instinct. they sail the sea laying waste to all who cross their path, attacking Isles with abandon and leaving no survivors. there are few sights in Ossia that strike more fear than Saurim's banners, and there are few people who see them twice. Saurim is the embodiment of the war for Ossia, and she will not be stopped until the archipelago has been scoured clean.

Saurim the Cloudfoot-
Legendary Creature-Centaur Nomad (R)
Other Centaurs you control get +1/+1.
Other Nomads you control get +1/+1.
Saurim's herd is a monster to behold, as brutal as it is ruthlessly efficient, a martial symphony of training and instinct.
3/3

Saurim is a very single-minded leader, out for violence for its own sake. I liked the idea of a double-anthem on one of these, and of course Nomads were the tribe for it. I toyed with the typical +2/+0, +0/+2 model, but neither side wanted the toughness and I like the fact that it's just straight-up the same thing twice. aesthetics! symmetry! and yeah I stole a line from the planeswalker's guide for her flavor text but look it was a good line.

CYCLE 4: LAND OR SHIP

Harsh Expanse
Land (R)
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Put a storage counter on Harsh Expanse.
, Remove X storage counters from Harsh Expanse: Add X to your mana pool.
: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

I made a few changes from the rare thread. I know they weren't the ones people complained about but I've talked it over with Rush and agree that the gameplay value of this model is worth the cost. I made the costs on the charge abilities colored so you can't just use them for off-color stuff which was a thing I hadn't really thought about until now, and it also just makes it not strictly better than Mage-Ring Network which I was ok with but why not avoid. also I looked up the wording and for some dumb reason the oracle wording of mono-colored storage lands is longer than the one for the dual-colored ones 'cause it doesn't use X, so I made a new template. CKY when you add it to the plug-in, please leave the formatting as is. it works within the rules and text space here is at a premium. it's like how Circu, Dimir Lobotomist got the ability to target libraries so they could trim two lines off it from the player-targeting version. you know, instead of inventing "exile".

also Rush did a mock-up of this to demonstrate that, while certainly not short, this isn't actually mind-blowingly long on an actual card:

Harsh Expanse render

and sorry for abandoning my 100% flavor text commitment but there just isn't room.

anyway next time is Wolves aoooooooo

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:27 am 

Identity: Male
I think the Virtuoso should be 2/2. It feels a little too do-nothing at its current P/T.

Saurim is a little boring to me. I'd like it if she made a Centaur Nomad token whenever she attacked, a la Hero of Bladehold. You can raise her cost if that makes her too strong.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:00 am 

razorborne wrote:
CYCLE 2: MYTHIC W/RACE KEYWORD

Quote:
Creature-Centaur Archer (R)

o_o

Double anthem legend, while boring, kinda fits.

Still really like the land, though. It's nifty.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:27 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I think the Virtuoso should be 2/2. It feels a little too do-nothing at its current P/T.
I could see that. makes it easier to get a 3-for-1 from it.

Saurim is a little boring to me. I'd like it if she made a Centaur Nomad token whenever she attacked, a la Hero of Bladehold. You can raise her cost if that makes her too strong.
I like the elegance of just the double-anthem, it's a very blunt piece of messaging but it does a good job and I want it on one of the Nomad lords. I do like the token, but I worry that if I cost her up she loses the value she brought to the table before for general Nomad decks, and making a 3/3 every turn is a little nuts. Creakwood Liege says I can do it if I make here a 2/2, which I could do. the tokens couldn't enter tapped and attacking though, because Centaur Nomad tokens have volley and I don't want to confuse people. I might do that version. I'll consider it.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:25 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
If I had a Kinsbaile Skirmisher, I would put it in all my knight decks. Sadly, I'm stuck with Kinsbaile Cavalier.

"attacks or becomes blocked" is really wonky. I'm also not actually sure if it triggers on each creature blocking it or not, since all of those guys are worded "blocked by one or more creatures". So I would assume the former, but maybe it's just the whole "tap an untapped" formatting deal of redundancy.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:01 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
If I had a Kinsbaile Skirmisher, I would put it in all my knight decks. Sadly, I'm stuck with Kinsbaile Cavalier.
yeah I knew that.

Mown wrote:
"attacks or becomes blocked" is really wonky. I'm also not actually sure if it triggers on each creature blocking it or not, since all of those guys are worded "blocked by one or more creatures". So I would assume the former, but maybe it's just the whole "tap an untapped" formatting deal of redundancy.
can you cite that? because search reveals somberwald alpha, Ib Halfheart, goblin tactician, gustcloak harrier, stormsurge kraken, slate street ruffian, rust scarab, slith strider and you know what Imma stop there point is "blocked by one or more creatures" isn't standard wording for effects intended to trigger once per blocking phase. the only one I can find is Godsend, which uses it so it can refer to those creatures later. "becomes blocked by a creature" is standard wording on things like somberwald vigilante, because those do trigger for each blocker, but the reverse is not normal.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:06 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I might just be delusional.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:51 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

I almost nominated a thing from Heroes of Kemil, but then I realized it was posted back in March.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:48 pm 

I think these are generally fine. Virtuoso doesn't need to deal damage to do its thing, so that's a plus when compared to Flamespeaker and might justify a meagre body.

Having it proc on dealing damage is pretty cool though (because Volley!), and might justify giving it a more combat-worthy body, because then your opponent will probably want to block it, to deny the second activation. Just food for thought.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:36 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

on further reflection, I've decided CKY is right. the flavor of adding a token-making ability is worth the loss of elegance. Saurim is now a 2/2 who makes a 1/1 Centaur Nomad with Volley whenever she attacks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:44 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Azhorium wrote:
Having it proc on dealing damage is pretty cool though (because Volley!), and might justify giving it a more combat-worthy body, because then your opponent will probably want to block it, to deny the second activation. Just food for thought.

I avoided a damage trigger because I wanted to differentiate from Devotee of War. the goal here was to make something that punished blocking because having small bodies to cost is a drawback for Volley so they don't do combat well. plus this way there's some interesting play value where they get to see the first card, then decide if now is the turn they want to take it out during.

Like this post