It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:03 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Wavebreak archives)
(Assassins in Ossia)

Assassins are largely a discard/draw deck. their goal is to always have more options than you. I feel like I didn't do a great job hitting this in Ossia, and of course there's the problem that those options only matter if they aren't just also more draw and discard, but I think it's a workable thing. anyway here's them.

the dual-class has 2, 3, 4, and 6. I debated whether I wanted to bother with that 5 hole, and decided that I would if I had a design that worked for it, and low and behold I do! the other one's gonna be a 2-drop to curve-drop it a bit. there's a bit of a mess like with the other ally classes where all the low costs are one color and the high ones the other, but I've decided to let Assassins be different and just suck that up. 'cause different decks playing differently is a Good Thing™.

CYCLE 1: COMMON ENABLER, W/RACE KEYWORD

Stonefleet Lieutenant-
Creature-Gargoyle Assassin (C)
Hardened (If a source would deal non-lethal damage to this creature, prevent that damage.)
When Stonefleet Lieutenant enters the battlefield, if you have more cards in hand than each opponent, draw a card.
They take no pleasure in taking lives.
3/4

I really liked that ability as both an enabler and a reward for Assassin strategies all in one. at first I was trying to fit it at low mana because I wanted to avoid the color delineation issue, but once Rush convinced me that it was ok to do that on one of the classes this was immediately the body I wanted. Hardened is much better on larger bodies. this is going to be a tough thing to block profitably, and even if you do it still may have netted them a card. probably strong, but not a super high pick so it'll get to the Assassin drafter which is good.

CYCLE 2: COMMON LORD

Alqin Custodian-
Creature-Djinn Assassin (C)
When Alqin Custodian enters the battlefield, destroy target creature that was dealt damage by an Assassin this turn.
The Frigid leave no job unfinished.
2/1

I tried really hard to make this a discard lord, but those are so hard to do at common and I didn't want to step on Tiny Tormentor's adorable little toes. also I realized I already had two common discard spells in a small set so maybe just chill on that. I decided to look at removal, but turns out cheap creatures with scaling etb removal? not really common. I found this as one of the few removal options that seems to be viable on common creatures. doing the Assassin thing lets me push the body more since it's harder to set up. it's debatable if it really counts as a scaling lord, but I think it does given that the threat of having it in your hand makes everyone play differently around your Assassins. any one of them could call in the Custodian, after all. and you're also more likely to have a good target if you've got more of them around. it doesn't directly scale but I'm ok with it. it's also viable to just be played as a piker if you want that early aggression.

CYCLE 3: UNCOMMON LORD

Noble Cutthroat-
Creature-Faerie Assassin (U)
Flying
Whenever an Assassin you control deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card unless they pay 2 life.
Politics are practiced somewhat differently on the Isle of Shadows.
1/1

there's two possible constructions to this. the other one is to make it lose life unless they discard and reduce the life loss, so they can't escape if their hand is empty but they're taking less. I think this version is more interesting but I could be convinced to flip the options and go to 1 life. but 2 seems to present a more reasonable case for both options which is good. there's no point making them choose if it's never right to discard. this is also a 3-drop flier that swings for 3, but I think that's ok because it's not actually 3 power, anything that gets in its way kills it and probably lives. although you can then Custodian that thing WOAH

CYCLE 4: UNCOMMON MANA ROCK OR MULTICOLORED ENCHANTMENT

The Long Plan-
Enchantment
Whenever you cast an Assassin spell, target player discards a card. If they can't, you draw a card.
To a mind like Basilian's, every move has value, and every error has dire consequences.

this hasn't been mentioned yet and it's certainly possible that I made it up right now, but The Long Plan is the name the Gargoyles gave to Basilian's war strategy of tactical assassinations and pinpoint raids. I don't know if I can do it at this cost, but my comparison is Triumph of Cruelty, which similarly averages one discard per turn but only under specific conditions, and isn't tearing anything up. Honden of Night's Reach is another comparison which says that discard 1 per turn with upsides can cost although it's not drawbackless 'cause legendary, but still this is probably weaker and also multicolored. maybe would be more appropriate and I'd be willing to go there if people yell at me enough, but I kinda wanted it to cost less than basilian so I went here.

anyway next time is... oh hey it's nomads that's fun.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:33 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
Darn assassins are almost competitively viable and was hoping for some new fodder.

Well, The Long Plan might be good.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:37 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Darn assassins are almost competitively viable and was hoping for some new fodder.

Well, The Long Plan might be good.

...they are? is it just Iceblade Lacerator or what's the deal? anyway the rares are still yet to come, maybe those'll help. or maybe not who the heck knows.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:39 pm 

Iceblade Lacerator and there was recently printed a card that cares about an assassin being cast.

Plus, a few other good assassins (not from ossia), but lacerator is insane enough to justify running merely solid two drops.

Plus black has zillions of free spells in the format so it's a good supplement.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:41 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

lacerator is insane enough to justify running merely solid two drops.

in that case maybe Custodian is viable?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:51 pm 

Nah, their are like 4 other 2 drop assassins that are better.

Which is fine, it's hard to make 1 drops and the 2 drops are pretty pushed in black in NGAC.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:42 pm 

Identity: Male
Assassins are cool.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:13 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

fun fact: Custodian can't kill Gargoyles. let's all pretend I realized that when I made it and spend some time praising razorborne for being so clever.

Like this post