It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Wavebreak archives)
(Barbarians in Ossia)

Barbarians are an interesting nut. they were originally slotted as a sort of suicide aggro, but kinda drifted to that being a more minor theme. some vestiges remain (*cough*) and they certainly aren't afraid to mess with their own life for benefit, but they've drifted off to become more like a removal-heavy aggro compared to Nomads' swarm strategy. Barbarians are about making a couple cheap scary threats, then killing the way clear.

at common in the dual-class cycle, they got two 3-drops, a 4-drop, and a 5-drop. which, for an aggro deck is... non-ideal. they have Emblazoned Forerunner in Ossia to help power those out faster, but I don't want to rely on that too heavily, especially as the number of Ossia packs dwindles, so this thread is gonna give them a 1-drop and a 2-drop at common. sound good? good.

CYCLE 1: COMMON ENABLER, W/RACE KEYWORD

Lashwind Brutalizer-
Creature-Djinn Barbarian (C)
Assail (You may cast this creature for . If you do, it gains haste and "At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this creature.")
When Lashwind Brutalizer enters the battlefield it gets +4/+0 until end of turn.
A rage as fleeting as the wind it rides on.
1/1

probably not that good but has some internal synergy with some Barbarian cards that may make it playable. you're probably Assailing it most of the time, but if you have a hand with a bunch of 3s and 4s it may be worth dropping it early to poke through some damage. skill testing and such. plus tarsoaked savage lets you get the damage and keep it, as do some other things. that'll be coming.

CYCLE 2: COMMON LORD

Blackridge Bludgeoneer-
Creature-Troll Barbarian (C)
Blackridge Bludgeoneer can't attack or block unless you cast a Barbarian spell this turn.
Give a Troll an enemy or they'll make one of their own.
4/3

note: really good if you give it haste, since it counts itself. anyway I know the Goblin Cohort drawback is usually just on attacking but I didn't want to be bound by the body I'd have to give it as just a defender (ogre sentry says 3/3) so I rolled in blocking. I could've done it as a separate ability because when will you be blocking after casting a creature spell that turn, but more words is pointless so why not let flash barbarian combat tricks be a thing. (they're not a thing.) anyway keeps up aggression but only as long as you keep supporting it.

CYCLE 3: UNCOMMON LORD

Blackwing Gorefang-
Creature-Bat Barbarian (U)
Flying
Blackwing Gorefang's power is equal to the number of Barbarians you control.
Kilmek's soldiers have tasted death too many times to fear it.
*/3

cannibalism! wooh! anyway you need 3 Barbarians for this to be Roc of Kher Ridge which seems about right. I want to cost this at 3 but in red that's just such a strong push. it's a 1/3 on its own, which precedent says costs 2, but that precedent is in white and blue, and this can get way big. maybe I can get away comparing to Chandra's Spitfire? but that doesn't scale as hard or as easy. if y'all think I can I will but if people say not to then I'll probably listen. Barbarians aren't really a horde tribe so I don't expect this to be huge, but even a 3/3 flier for 3 is kinda nuts in red.

CYCLE 4: UNCOMMON MANA ROCK OR MULTICOLORED ENCHANTMENT

Ride The Deathwinds-
Enchantment (U)
Barbarians you control have haste.
Sacrifice Ride The Deathwinds: Barbarians you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
The children of Qelan seek neither safety nor stability. The Deathwinds offer neither: Only speed.

could I cost this at 3? probably. but I like it at 2, and Barbarians have enough crucial turn-2 plays (Bloodclaw, Bludgeoneer, any 3-drop following Forerunner) that playing it on 2 is a commitment anyway so why not push it. this is also best buds with Brutalizer up above, since it lets it be cast for cheap and still get in like a lava axe.

I don't really like the name that much, it's a little too heavy-handed on the imagery and I may come back and redo it, but I wanted to post the thread and it was the best I could come up with.

anyway next time Pirates yeah

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:30 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Please don't refer to me
I think have a single barbarian in the block with flash is cool.

Winner of the 1st NGA Constructed Super League: PopularPariah

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:16 pm 

Identity: Male
I like Ride the Deathwinds a lot.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:04 pm 

Gorefang could be 3 CMC and be not fantastic. It could also be 4 and not terrible though. Whichever seems better to you.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:53 am 

I agree with master.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:48 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

it's mostly that cheap, beefy fliers isn't in red's domain that's scaring me off of 3. if it was the equivalent card in white I'd put it at 3 in a heartbeat, but with Red's propensity for burn it doesn't get the quality of creature white gets, and especially in a tribe that pairs it with black, the two of which share all the best removal in the format, I think it's better to keep it at 4.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:55 am 

I would point to Kolaghan Forerunners. I believe they're comparable. Four is not terrible, but a bit too conservative IMO; there's a non-trivial deckbuilding cost to it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:00 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

trample isn't as good a form of evasion as flying though, and more in red's area. with only one other Barbarian, you already have a thing that's bigger than wind drake, which is a classically good-enough body on 3, in a color more accustomed to strong fliers.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:40 am 

Azhorium wrote:
I agree with master.

Kinky

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:19 am 

You could make it a */2.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:03 pm 

razorborne wrote:
trample isn't as good a form of evasion as flying though
I agree, but Forerunners also have Dash and count any kind of creatures you have. Like I said, I think they're comparable.

You could make it a */2.
I would avoid this heavy color requirement on a low drop for this environment.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:00 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

You could make it a */2.

I wanted the 3 toughness to differentiate more between it and blackwing bloodclaw.

Like this post