It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:12 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
What is C-League? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10602

M16, or "Magic: Origins" as they call it, so that we have to waste time typing it out, is a fun limited format, but it could be more fun. One issue the set has is that it's not very synergy heavy. Almost all of the synergy cards are either underpowered or high rarity. Like, I can build my whole deck around getting spell mastery, and that gives me what, 2 extra life off my Unholy Hunger? So, let's backtrack a bit and pretend that you're designing the set. Design a common that would make one of the following archetypes worth drafting:

-Artifacts
-Spell mastery

Contest closes in 24 hours. Have fun.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:22 am 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
Liliana's Torture --
Sorcery (C)

Target player discards two cards.
Spell Mastery -- If you have two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, destroy target creature that player controls.

"He had his fun, now I get to have mine."
-Liliana Vess-

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:32 am 

Regatha Ritualist
Creature - Human Shaman
Spell Mastery - If you have two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, whenever you cast a non-creature spell, you may have Regatha Ritualist deal 1 damage to target creature.
It only takes a spark to get a fire going.
2/3

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Brutal Prosperity
Instant (C)
Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
Spell Mastery ─ If you have two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, put three +1/+1 counters on it instead.

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 am 

Quicksilver Sympath
Creature - Elemental Wizard
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield, copy another target ability.
1/2

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:27 am 

Repeated Artillery -
Sorcery
~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Spell Mastery - If you have two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, you may draw a card or search your library for a card named ~ and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

Mana-Charged Enforcer -
Creature - Human Soldier
Whenever ~ attacks or blocks, it gets +1/+0 for each instant and/or sorcery card in your graveyard until end of turn.
: ~ gains trample and first strike until end of turn.
1/3

Last edited by Confused on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:50 am 

Magnetic Strength -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Sacrifice an artifact: Put two +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:07 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
Manic Maker | :r:
Creature - Human Artificer

When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token into the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep if ~ is still on the battlefield. It has haste.

It has to be perfect! I'll stay stay up all night if i have to!

1/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:51 pm 

Smithy Instructor
Creature - Rhox Soldier
Equipments cost less to equip.
Equipped creatures you control have +1/+1.
"You have only just scratched the surface. I mean this both figuratively and literally."
2/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:57 pm 

Accelerated assembly line :4::u::u:
Sorcery
Cardname can be casted any time you could play an instant if you control 2 or more artifacts.
Put 4 1/1 colorless thopter artifact creature tokens with flying into the battlefield.

More spells in your spell mastery deck that don't take spell slots?check.
A lot of artifacts? check.

Last edited by Hello World on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

For both:

Ghirapur Innovator
Creature - Human Artificer (C)
, , Discard a card: Draw a card.
Whenever you discard an artifact card, scry 1.
1/1

Last edited by Rush_Clasic on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:28 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Pyrobolt
Instant (C)
Pyrobolt deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Spell mastery—If there are two or more instant or sorcery spells in your graveyard, Pyrobolt deals 3 damage to that creature or player instead.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:56 pm 

Identity: Male
Rouse the Watch
Sorcery (C)
Put two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant or sorcery spells in your graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on each of those creatures.

They could remove Dragon Fodder from the set, since that card is not playable anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:41 pm 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
Pyrobolt
Instant (C)
Pyrobolt deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Spell mastery—If there are two or more instant or sorcery spells in your graveyard, Pyrobolt deals 3 damage to that creature or player instead.

Wait, wasn't this a thing?
This was literally the first thing I thought of, and I specifically didn't post it, because I thought this was a card in Origins.

EDIT: It is. Fiery Impulse

DOUBLEEDIT: NVM. Well played Parad... well played. I should've stuck with my gut it seems. :p

My Cube | My Designs | My Art
Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:15 pm 

Identity: Male
Merlin's Feint

Instant
Discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
Spell Mastery - If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, draw two cards instead.
"Throughout the long history of Wizard dueling, many imaginative tactics have been employed, but none more so than 'Merlin's Feint'. A tactic employed with varying degrees of success."
- Excerpt from 'The Golden Era of Magic' by E. Balthazar

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:31 am 

Stab
Instant
Destroy target creature. You gain 1 life.
Spell Mastery- If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, you may cast Stab for .

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:12 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Gradsnao:

Altimis: I mean, it definitely encourages you to get spell mastery in a way that a lot of the other submissions don't, but it doesn't feel like a really cohesive card, more like 2 arbitrary black abilities tacked onto one card. 3

Azureshade: I like the design. It's potentially repeatable removal, which is normally NWO-breaking, but it's weak enough that I think it's acceptable. It might even be a bit underpowered, but I do like the concept. 4

Dudibus: I doubt green spell mastery could become an archetype. Still, I like the design. 3

Yinglung: There's no way copying abilities gets printed at common. Also, I don't get what this card is supposed to do. All I can think of is that it copies Meteorite's ETB trigger. 0

Confused: Damn, that's cool. It blocks early, and can take over in the ultra lategame. It's only good in a deck with lots of instants and sorceries, and running multiples of these makes you want to play instants and sorceries that you otherwise wouldn't. This is exactly what I was looking for when I made the criteria. 5

Flopfoot: I would play a basic land over this, no matter how many artifacts I had. 0

Tekkahedron: This card is completely overpowered, and doesn't particularly encourage you to play other artifacts. 0

Pacific Ninja: I mean, it's certainly interesting, and not too overpowered at common, since there's only one common equipment. On the other hand, this only interacts with one other common in the set, which isn't a good place to be. 2

Hello World: This card's power level is pretty independent of your artifact count. Yeah, the flash is cute, but this doesn't really feel like a card that gets that much better at instant speed, at least not enough to be worth building around. 2

Rush: Cute, this definitely does enable both. However, it doesn't really push you to build around either. Spell mastery was already pretty easy to turn on, the problem was just that there was no strong common that really made you want to achieve it. The scry is nice, but there's a bit of dissynergy between the improved card quality of scry and the ability to pitch unwanted cards to your looter, the upside of the scry isn't enough to make me want to play lots of artifacts, and the thing doesn't work with the thopter generators. 3

Parad: I imagine this card was tested out by development at some point. This feels like a card that could very easily be printed, and it would have a definite impact in constructed. However, this contest is about making an archetype defining card for limited, and while this card would definitely be a high pick in limited, it doesn't really push you to build around it. Sure, killing a bigger creature is nice, but the upside isn't high enough to really shape my other draft or deckbuilding choices. 3

Shazzeh: Like Dudibus' card, this is a weird color for a spell mastery enabler. Still, definitely interesting, and experiences a significant power level jump if you have mastery. 3

Vlord: The thought of casting this without spell mastery makes me physically sick. I know it's supposed to turn on spell mastery itself, but come on, at least make it faithless looting or something. Still, unlike a lot of the other contestants, you made a card whose quality is heavily dependent on your deck's composition, which was the criteria. Can't say I'd actually play it though. 3

Masterofdoom: Now this is a good spell mastery card. It's pretty mediocre if you'll never get spell mastery, and really strong if you can. 4

Thank you to everyone who participated!

Like this post