It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:58 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Wavebreak archives)
(Blackrock in Ossia)

as the largest, the most central, and the most resource-rich Isle, Blackrock is under siege from all sides. under such pressure, the preachings of Borrogrove become more appealing. each Troll of the Isle of Death is an army unto itself, and many have ventured forth to lay waste to the enemies of Blackrock. they are as a force of nature, titanic and unstoppably vicious. it should of course be no surprise that the Trolls relish this opportunity for war. they are a xenophobic, territorial, and ultimately violent people, and calls for obliteration come easily to their tongues.

Notable Individuals of Blackrock

Orgoth Stonebow: the Blackridge is more populated than ever, with every Troll left on the Isle pouring in to defend their home from encroachment. Orgoth has been forced into a position of leadership, coordinating defenses, a daunting task given the fiercely individualistic nature of her people. so far, though, her defenses mostly hold, and those who get past them are met quickly by large Trolls with even larger clubs. the defenses are straining, though: Trolls can only stand side by side for so long, and fights between the troops have grown more and more frequent. the time will soon come when Orgoth cannot hold back her people, and on that day Blackrock will be in grave peril.

Borrogrove, Stoneskin Channeler: Borrogrove watches the war with increasing trepidation. while he doesn't have the means to explain it, his ties to the mystical energy of Ossia have left him feeling uneasy, like something is going on he can't quite see. the war feels hollow, like a distraction, and he needs to find what lies beyond it. this feeling has only strengthened his need for war, as the fastest resolution he can see is total victory by the Trolls, leaving Ossia's greatest warriors in a position to face whatever comes next. to that end he urges more and more aggressive action, abandoning the Blackridge to take the fight to their enemies' homes. on his command, his people have even begun tunneling through the Slatefall on Teth, seeking to tear down the towering Isle from the inside.

Barile, Brawl Champion: the Expanse has fallen apart. there is no time for recreational combat, not when so much real combat lies at Blackrock's door. Barile's plans took too long to develop, so he is left without an army. the conditions on Blackrock leave him unable to reach the Council, but he may have identified another route on his own. as a renowned warrior, he has begun to serve under Orgoth, keeping discipline in the ranks. it's a dangerous gambit, submitting to another Troll's command, but Barile is desperate to bring his people to peace, and without an army he has no means to confront Borrogrove.

The Tidepoint Seal

deep in the Cauldron Pits lies the Tarcor, serving as both the beating heart and nervous system of the Seal. sitting at the center of the archipelago, the Tarcor gathers energy from the Wheel of Wind, directs it where it is needed, then as it returns sends it out to the Oss Draconus. it also has feelers out across the Seal sensitive to any disturbances, information it relays mindlessly to the Crystalmind. the Tarcor spits out the tar that fills the Cauldron Pits, a byproduct of the waste collected by the mystic energy as it flows through the circuit of the Seal.

Troll classes are Barbarian, Archer, and Druid. their keyword is Regrow.

Regrow X (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing X lands in addition to its mana cost.)

CYCLE 1: COMMON CREATURE, DUAL-CLASS, SMALL

Blackridge Ward-
Creature-Troll Archer Druid (C)
Regrow 1 (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing 1 land in addition to its mana cost.)
: Blackridge Ward gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn and only any time you could cast a sorcery.
"None are too young to protect their home."~Orgoth Stonebow
2/2

I'm not really sure on the Regrow 1, since this is really good in the late game, but it has enough weaknesses that I'm ok with it, and I wanted to use a couple different numbers and the other cards needed 2 more. also, Tarflinger probably couldn't cost without Regrow, whereas this without Regrow at would still be strictly worse than Darkthicket Wolf. I added the sorcery clause last-minute because the card scared me, but it does take away the threat-of-activation thing that makes Rootwallas so appealing. I could limit it to only on your turn instead if people think the TOA is too important. but an easy-to-recur 4/4 blocker seemed bad, and forcing it to be your turn only helps push my new aggro-Ossia plan. anyway I liked the interplay between Regrow and a mana-based activated ability, and with Regrow 1 and a once-per-turn ability they don't pull too hard against each other.

Druids like this because it's a good thing to do with all their mana. Archers like it because it's an early play that gets super good in the late game. it probably trades down when you play it, but then later on you can bring it back pretty and use it as a 4/4 beater.

this had to be a 3-drop 'cause lizards did a green 2-drop already damn you lizards nah it's ok Regrow on 2-drops is hard.

CYCLE 2: COMMON CREATURE, DUAL-CLASS, LARGE

Gluttonous Lumberjack-
Creature-Troll Druid Barbarian (C)
Regrow 2 (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing 2 lands in addition to its mana cost.)
A troll's life is consumption punctuated by violence.
6/1

in Ossia I tried to get at least one stand-alone french vanilla for each keyword, to help reduce complexity and give people a way in to understand the mechanic. (I didn't get one for the Djinn, but Wildsong Raider is close) for Regrow, that was Tarline Warcaller. but as I was working on Wavebreak, I noticed that there was another vanilla body that played well with Regrow. instead of being a hard-to-kill threat that is costly to bring back and costly to get rid of, I could do a body that was high-impact but designed to die. since I wanted to make a 5-drop here, I figured 6/1 was the right numbers. it'll almost definitely take something with it every time, but it costs you two things, so it's a hard trade. I think there's a universe where adding "can't block" is correct, but I don't think that's this one, the upside of being just vanilla are big enough and recurring this to block over and over again is dangerous enough anyway. Rush kept calling this Ax Man while we were talking so I made it a lumberjack 'cause I'm a maverick.

this is a little expensive for Barbarians, but it can sit at the top of their curve and beat face if they can keep the path clear with their removal. Druids can use it because Regrow costs less for them, and 6 power is pretty daunting. honestly it's probably not a great card, but hey they don't all have to be.

Bats did a 4-drop in black already.

CYCLE 3: UNCOMMON CREATURE, RACE/CLASS DUAL-LORD

Ruthless Teacher-
Creature-Troll Barbarian (U)
Regrow 2 (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing 2 lands in addition to its mana cost.)
Other Trolls and Barbarians you control get +2/+0.
"Blackrock was not always so united. The chieftains and commanders would do well to remember who we truly are, lest this war crumble our very being."
3/3

I made a mirrored pair within a cycle! this is a mirror to Lithic Pedagogue. (white, uncommon. go look at the archives.) it's probably stronger, but I'm ok with that. it's also kinda reminiscent of Tarsoaked Savage which I'm less ok with, but it's different enough. one thing I'd like to take the opportunity to note here is something I'm doing with the flavor because it's important to me. the Trolls are violent and territorial, but I'm very purposefully not representing them as stupid. they use words like "lest" and phrases like "crumble our very being". I think that adds an element of believability and relatability to them that a "HUR SMASH" approach lacks. anyway this makes things hit hard I guess that's kinda hur smash but juxtaposition people try to keep up.

CYCLE 4: COMMON SPELL, +1/+1 COUNTER

Violent Sabotage-
Instant (C)
Destroy target artifact.
You may put a +1/+1 counter on a Troll you control.
The people of Blackrock leave no stone unshattered.

what? one of these that you can't always play? YEAH DEAL WITH IT TROLLS SMASH. basically I needed a shatter. I didn't want to do it at uncommon 'cause it'd wind up looking too close to shattercry as a probably-two-mana double shatter. so I put it here. I think it's a nice dynamic: I like mixing up how this cycle behaves, so that some play differently from others. this can play as a combat trick 'cause it's an instant but it's also limited so you might not be able to use it at all. but most of the artifacts you'll interact with in limited are the ships, which means more often than not you'll be able to save the shatter effect until their combat phase which is nice. but anyway I like the design and the flavor and it works well shut up.

I don't know that this is particularly strong in Trolls' red tribes, but everyone can use ship answers.

CYCLE 5: UNCOMMON SPELL, FORK

Indiscriminate Violence-
Sorcery (U)
As you cast Indiscriminate Violence, you may tap a Troll you control. If you do, copy this spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Target player sacrifices a creature and loses 1 life.
"If you swing your club enough, you're bound to hit something."~Barile, Brawl Champion

I did Geth's Verdict instead of a simple edict effect because looking at precedent there's no double-edicts below 4 mana, but at 4 mana the available options have upsides, so without it it'd be weirdly weak. it also gives you a little more value if you cast it without the fork, which is important because it's two mana overcosted. it's not a huge impact on the power level, but it makes it feel a little more like a 4-mana spell.

this card is good in Barbarians because they love removal and good in Druids because they don't like single big dudes.

CYCLE 6: RARE SPELL, CHECK-LORD

Rite of the Tarline-
Sorcery (R)
Draw cards equal to the highest power among creatures you control. Then, if you control a Troll, draw cards equal to the highest toughness among creatures you control.
When the strongest lead, the wise become strong.

WOAH THAT'S A LOT OF CARDS with Earthrend Foreseer that's 12 cards before it even gets Borrogrove's Blessing. you're probably gonna have to discard some of those. if only there was some sort of recursion mechanic to get those discarded cards back oh well I guess we can't have it all. I don't really expect this to be playable 'cause like 8 mana, but sometimes you just gotta put awesome words on cards and let them sort themselves out. maybe EDH wants it. some Borrogrove list that has this to draw like a third of its deck. I don't know, that sounds like the sort of thing EDH would do.

this is good with Archers and Druids because they're the two biggest decks in the format. Druids are the more likely candidate to be able to actually cast it, but Archers also like to go late and have big dudes so maybe them too. but again I mainly just wanted to do it. Violence does enough work for all three spell cycles damn it.

anyway next time Wolves aw that's gonna be sad

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:06 am 

Rite of the Tanline??

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:19 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mata Hari wrote:
Rite of the Tanline??

no

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:22 am 

Identity: Male
I like "Target player sacrifices an artifact" on Violent Sabotage, to make Ships a little stronger and so that you can sometimes just cast it as a combat trick.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:05 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Shatter's already fairly weak, and like I said I like that different members of the cycle play differently. I can do some of that with the instant/sorcery divide, but this is another way to introduce some variance within a fairly strict framework.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:02 am 

That 6/1 gets kinda scary with the dual-lord in play. 10/1 regrow BOOM!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:05 am 

Nah it's just an 8/1. Besides, Tarsoaked Savage is way scarier.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Nah it's just an 8/1. Besides, Tarsoaked Savage is way scarier.

that's true in most cases though. I wonder if NGA Constructed has enough Barbarians to make a deck work...

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:12 pm 

I find Rite too costly to be honest.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:33 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Azhorium wrote:
I find Rite too costly to be honest.

I was originally thinking 7, but it's really not hard to get like 7 or 8 cards out of it and I wanted to avoid accidentally making it broken so I pushed it out of playable range to be a casual/EDH card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:01 pm 

Meh. It can be responded to. I don't buy it, but I see where you're going with it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:00 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

"sometimes you just gotta put awesome words on cards and let them sort themselves out" - Razorborne, like pretty recently.

These are words to live by. Rite of the Tarline looks EDH worthy. It's an easy include in any voltron deck with a troll commander (the vaunted "trolltron" archetype).

The name Indiscriminate Violence was a great flavour call.

I'm also really digging the way Ruthless Teacher shows off troll social values. I'm making it head canon that the trolls of Ossia have tusks and this sometimes makes it hard for them to speak so they develop a habit of choosing words carefully.

Also, why is it sad that we're going to visit the doggies? What did you do to the doggies razor?

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:38 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:21 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
"sometimes you just gotta put awesome words on cards and let them sort themselves out" - Razorborne, like pretty recently.

These are words to live by. Rite of the Tarline looks EDH worthy. It's an easy include in any voltron deck with a troll commander (the vaunted "trolltron" archetype).
fortunately, Wavebreak will feature a pretty great Trolltron commander in the form of Borrogrove.

TPmanW wrote:
[center]I'm also really digging the way Ruthless Teacher shows off troll social values. I'm making it head canon that the trolls of Ossia have tusks and this sometimes makes it hard for them to speak so they develop a habit of choosing words carefully.
tell you what you make it head canon, I'll make it real canon. no one's done any art for them, so Ossian trolls have tusks now.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:14 am 

I'm not sure if it would see the light of competitve EDH, but I can definitely see it being a huge success among the casual crowd.

All in all, it's fine.

Like this post