All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [WVB] Return To Milor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:08 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Wavebreak archives)
(Milor in Ossia)

the Worldkin are not like the other denizens of Ossia. of course, any casual observer could tell you that: they're ageless, deathless manifestations of raw elemental energy, secretive beyond comprehension and mysterious in ways few would even begin to suspect. but they are different in a deeper, more fundamental way: unlike the inhabitants of the other Isles, the Worldkin didn't exist before the Flood. they were crafted by an unknown planeswalker after the creation of the Tidepoint Seal, made to be its voice and its guardians. they are, in many ways, the protectors of Ossia, and Vella's activities have not gone unnoticed on the Isle of Flames.

this duty is why the Worldkin, once sole among the Ossians in their ability to traverse the waves, kept to themselves. this is why, as the war grew, they hid behind their walls. they have kept this secret for so long that telling others hasn't crossed their minds. to the Voice of the World, protecting the Seal is their only purpose, and only they can keep it intact.

Notable Individuals of Milor

(again I'm doing all 6 facets even though only 3 get made into cards.)

The Soul of Waves: The Soul of Waves are relentless. with the collapse of the Seal at hand, they push for greater and greater warfare, to shatter through the other Ossians' defensive lines and get to the pieces of the Seal, to protect them. they have no faith in the rest of the Ossian people to do the job of the Worldkin, and insist on removal as the only option.

The Heart of Flames: as loath as they are to admit it, The Heart of Flames agree. while they are not driven to extermination like the Soul, they see no time for diplomacy, only an urgent threat on their existence. their Flamekin troops sail out en masse to raid other Isles, in an attempt to secure the pieces of the Seal. of special interest is Chirom, where Ulrexes is held. if the lichwalker can be freed, the Seal should be able to rebalance itself, but there is not much time.

The Mind of Earth: on the other side sit The Mind of Earth. their alignment with the Council has come to light, and the Voice have shut them off from contacting their comrades. they argue, though, that if they could get a message to Piker, that the Unspoken uprising could aid them in reaching Ulrexes, but the Voice refuse to listen. even the Breath of Wind have turned against them, leaving little hope of peaceful resolution.

The Breath of Wind: The Breath of Wind refuse to let their desire for peace stand in the way of their solemn duty. the Seal is paramount, as without it Ossia is doomed, and if its people are too foolish to stand aside and let the Worldkin do their work, then they will have to be removed. it isn't out of hatred or anger: The Breath of Wind love the people of Ossia. they are merely making a cold, utilitarian calculation. in order for Ossia to live, some of its people must die.

The Song of Light: The Song of Light are Milor's defenders, and care less than their compatriots about Ossia as a whole. they were created to guard the guardians, as it were, to keep the Worldkin safe while they protect the world. the Lightkin accompany the raiding parties as extra muscle, and will stand watch over the Seal pieces as necessary, but this fight is not theirs.

The Hand of Gold: and finally we reach The Hand of Gold. unbeknownst to the Voice, they have been scheming with Vella for years. the Trickster Queen promised them great rewards and safe passage off the plane before its collapse in exchange for information on the Seal and a voice within the Voice of the World. it is at her urging that they pushed for war in the first place, and now that she has activated the Seal, they pull back, leading the Worldkin down false and dangerous roads. of course Vella has no intention of keeping her promises, but for now she still has use for The Hand's services.

The Tidepoint Seal

Milor's piece of the Seal is none other than the Voice of the World itself, serving as both voice and guardian to the ancient magic.

Milor's classes are Pirate, Nomad, and Advisor. its mechanic is Unveil:

Unveil - When this creature attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it and...

CYCLE 1: COMMON CREATURE, DUAL-CLASS, SMALL

Swirling Eddy-
Creature-Elemental Advisor Pirate (C)
Unveil - When Swirling Eddy attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it and switch its power and toughness. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
"Only a fool fights the tides."~The Soul of Waves
1/3

blue gets blade of the sixth pride! well, anyway it has some history of getting aggro-y P/Ts when it does it through switching (aquamoeba, calcite snapper, crookclaw transmuter) so I'm calling it good and I will fight you. anyway, this seems like a hecka simple design that either blue or red could get, but I figured it works better if the base body is 1/3 and that's more a blue thing. it serves important roles and it does its job and it's good shut up. it works for Advisors 'cause it's a 1/3 for 2 and they need those, and it works for Pirates because it's that, but then when it attacks it becomes a hard-to-profitably-block threat that trades to clear out their blocking line.

this puts Wolves on a 3-drop but that's ok I don't know how much more I can do with Convene at 2, it's a really powerful ability. Wandering Pup is so good. just so good.

CYCLE 2: COMMON CREATURE, DUAL-CLASS, LARGE

Galvanic Fog-
Creature-Elemental Nomad Advisor (C)
Unveil - When Galvanic Fog attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it and destroy up to one target enchantment.
It's incredible the damage that can be done with a single spark.
3/3

I wanted this to be a neutral body since Nomads want to attack but Advisors want to block, so I went with Hill Giant stats. I also needed a trigger that Advisors would think was worth attacking for, but not one they'd need right away. was originally gonna be disenchant, but I worried about a Hill Giant that also blew up a ship at common, since Ships need a hand right now. seemed too strong, so I went with just enchantment. it's still playable just as a 3/3 for 4, but it's got a bit less bite which is good. it also helpfully draws attention to the general lack of enchantments in Ossia, like how Terror was in Mirrodin. there are some targets (and in this block and the next there are going to be some pretty strong albeit rare ones.) but often it won't have anything to hit, which I'm ok with.

I don't have to say anything about size commitments 'cause Gargoyles already used the white 5. but I did anyway!

CYCLE 3: UNCOMMON CREATURE, RACE/CLASS DUAL-LORD

Auric Plash-
Creature-Elemental Nomad (U)
Unveil - When Auric Plash attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it. Elementals and Nomads you control get +1/+0 and gain first strike until end of turn.
Nothing riles troops like a traitor.
1/1

first of all yes those are both real words it means "Golden Puddle" but I thought this sounded cooler plus you learn new words. and my dictionary lists the etymology of Plash as "probably imitative." anyway, Nomads love 1-drops, what can I say. Elementals love getting their Unveil triggers safely, so the first strike helps them get in there. I also like the design because I love 1-drops that aren't at their best turn 1, it's hella cute. this is fine turn 1 but if you're disciplined and hold it back it can do so much more.

CYCLE 4: COMMON SPELL, +1/+1 COUNTER

Scintillating Strobe-
Instant (C)
Exile target creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under your control.
You may put a +1/+1 counter on an Elemental you control.
Blink and you'll miss it.

flicker seemed like a nice effect for Elementals, since it resets Unveil for another go. I realized when I was working on this that +1/+1 counters and spark counters aren't really buddies, but since we're only playing on Cockatrice I decided not to worry about it because they're both doing important work. anyway, I went with Cloudshift 'cause a) I want you blinking your dudes, not theirs, and b) I want it returning right away in case it's your only Elemental so it's there to put the counter on. (the counter wording doesn't target wooh)

Advisors like this to untap things they tapped for one reason or another, and Nomads like it for the counter and to reset their Unveils.

CYCLE 5: UNCOMMON SPELL, FORK

Kindled Conjecture-
Instant (U)
As you cast Kindled Conjecture, you may tap an Elemental you control. If you do, copy this spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Copy target instant or sorcery spell you control. You may choose new targets for the copy.
"The Heart of Flames are simple. Do not mistake that for stupid."~The Mind of Earth, to Kiir the Oneblade

fork effects have weird flavor. anyway I mainly just wanted alliteration and the only synonym for "repeat" I could find that started with a K sound was "copy" and ew I'm not that blunt. also Rush points out that Fork effects are rarely seen sub-rare, but Nivix Guildmage exists so I'm calling it good. Guildmage got to be uncommon because of the cycle it was in, and it used a "you control" thing that I borrowed to help justify, so I'm good. and yes I'm trying to make an Elemental-based storm deck with this and Channel the Veil. what will next set's red elemental spell be? probably just grapeshot **** it.

this is... well it's actually not super great for Elementals' red classes, but it was a thing that needed to be made. you can do some serious damage with this and Strike the Mast though. or howling blitz if you're playing against wolves or hate your life total. and Pirates have A Thousand Gales as another viable target for this. there's options.

CYCLE 6: RARE SPELL, CHECK-LORD

Otherworldly Tempest-
Sorcery (R)
Put two target creatures you don't control on top of their owners' libraries. If you control an Elemental, each opponent skips their next draw step.
"We do what we must for Ossia's sake. Please understand. This was not meant to be."~The Breath of Wind, to the dead

I'm so, so sorry. I wish this didn't have to happen but there's nothing I can do. it's out of my hands.

basically I wanted a Time Ebb effect because it's great with both Pirates and Advisors, but I wrongly thought Time Ebbs started at Uncommon, so a small tweak would bump it to rare-worthy. turns out nope. straight Time Ebbs have actually never been rare, and have been common lots of times. so I stepped it up, plow under style. then I added the rider because sometimes I am mean. sometimes I am so very, very mean. I did make it have to have two targets so you can play around it with one terrifying dude (might I recommend Earthrend Foreseer) but still. damn yo.

look if you don't understand how this is good with a tribe that mills and a tribe that tries to set up one huge value attack then you are just not thinking hard enough. get your head in the game hypothetical person. I know you're in shock but we can get through this together.

anyway next time uncommon ships wooh wooh

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:14 am 
YMtC Champ '08

Otherworldly Tempest just looks so miserable.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:18 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Riorvard wrote:
Otherworldly Tempest just looks so miserable.

agreed!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:53 am 

Identity: Female
if u were sorry u wouldn't have done it

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:17 pm 

Identity: Male
I agree with Lilan.

You look pleased with it. You monster.

Like this post