It is currently Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost Tribes - Monks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:19 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
There are 111 monks in Magic: The Gathering From Thelonite Monk to Third Path Iconoclast. And yet, there is only one monk tribal effect in existence. And they have to share The Archimandritewith two other tribes. This is a sad state of affairs. :(
To rectify this, create a card that demonstrates a clear tribal identity for monks.

You have... man, most of you are probably doing harvest festival/ pre-Xmas discountstravaganz stuff, uh,
You have until I say stop making cars to submit cards. One card per entrant please.

Cards will be graded on how well they demonstrate what monks should be in MTG, and of course on general goodness.
Remember, Goblin Warchief and Goblin Warrens are great goblin cards, but they'd make terrible elves.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Lost Tribes - Monks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:00 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Master of the Open Fist-
Creature-Fox Monk
Whenever a Monk you control blocks, it gets +2/+2 and gains vigilance until the end of your next turn.
"A soldier strikes like fire. A master flows like water."
3/4

:duel:

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:05 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I used to have a full list of every creature type ever been printed that did not yet have any sort of lord. that was a couple computers ago and I'm sure it's gone now, but it was the original seed for the project that eventually became Ossia.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:05 am 
YMtC Champ '12

The two most famous monks I found are Azusa, Lost but Seeking and Monastery Mentor. Thus I give you:

Steadfoot Mentor
Creature - Elf Monk (U)
Instant and sorcery spells you control have "You may play an additional land this turn."
"Do not judge so harshly those who have yet to find the right path. The choice to walk it will find them in time."
2/2

razorborne wrote:
I used to have a full list of every creature type ever been printed that did not yet have any sort of lord. that was a couple computers ago and I'm sure it's gone now, but it was the original seed for the project that eventually became Ossia.

One of my earliest memories of you is submitting a crab lord to a creature type contest you hosted. Its flavor text was something like "Pinch twice" —crab saying meaning "double check".

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:09 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

One of my earliest memories of you is submitting a crab lord to a creature type contest you hosted. Its flavor text was something like "Pinch twice" —crab saying meaning "double check".

that feels very on-brand for both of us.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:28 am 

Isn't prowess pretty much their general identity? Or at least the red and white monks? There is second spell casted this turn thingy going on too and Azusa for the green monks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:04 pm 

Enlightened Initiate
Creature - Human Monk (U)
Training (Whenever this creature attacks with another creature with greater power, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
If ~ has power 4 or greater, it gains indestructible.

1/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:38 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Confused wrote:
Isn't prowess pretty much their general identity? Or at least the red and white monks? There is second spell casted this turn thingy going on too and Azusa for the green monks.

There are actually only 17 monks out of the 111 that have prowess (82 of which came at/after prowess' debut). Not a bad rate, but way short of a majority.
I figure there are a couple of ways to take it- kind of like how goblins are best none for cheap aggressive creatures, but dip pretty hard into the themes of expendability, massive numbers and even removal. Similarly, you could take prowess as a jumping off point and make monks all about combat tricks, or heroic, or voltron strategies, maybe monks love auras, or equipment? Monks seem to have something going on, but it doesn't entirely feel nailed down yet. Do monks like to get into combat with creatures, or sneak by? Go wide or go tall? Do they liked to be tapped? Do they care about the graveyard? Your life total? THese are the questions I'm looking to see answered.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:54 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

of those 17 monks with prowess, 16 were in KTK block. there are an additional 7 monks that mention noncreature spells, 6 of which were also from Tarkir. only third path iconoclast and abbot of keral keep indicate any generalized prowess theme outside of a direct association of the Jeskai.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:32 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Gentle Fist Pacifist
Creature - Human Monk (U)
Vigilance
Whenever ~ blocks a creature, destroy each permanent attached to that creature.
"If you will not respect our traditions and lay down your arms, then I will simply have to disarm you."
[2/3]

Logic:
> Monks are predominantly White with 56 Cards, but surprisingly they are heavier than Green at 27 cards than Red at ... uh ... I dont remember the number, but lower. Blue is tied with Green at 27 but because most of those are from Tarkir that's not a good tribal indicator, and black has only 1.
> Monks in MtG seem to come in two varieties: Avacyn's Pilgrim types and the martial arts monk. To help encompass both, I figured Id try to go with a more defensive theme--one based on seeking enlightenment via isolation and meditation. Blocking and Ward triggers.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:48 pm 

Hmm, interesting, I guess Tarkir left me with that impression. Seeker of the Way and Monastery Mentor were both played in standard.

So maybe instead of that, I will go with a general theme of retaliation (Deflecting Palm is very much a monk spell to me.) which I think fits the idea of monks as depicted in wu xia stories and monks are kinda peaceful in general seeking enlightenment and stuff. In other words, speak softly and carry a big stick.

Seeker of Answers -
Creature - Human Monk
Whenever a player attacks you, untap ~ and it gets +2/+2 until the end of your next turn.
,: Scry 1
2/2

"Whenever you or a permanent you control becomes a target of a spell of ability you do not control" can also be one of the other forms of retaliation.

Another idea was to outright do a body/mind mode (Sort of like prototype, rather than a hybrid of abilities)

Like this post