It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:55 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

I know I'm pretty late (was out of town this weekend), but I edited something in to my earlier post. You don't have to include it in grading, I mainly just wanted to come up with something for completeness's sake.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:40 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
don't worry, I've barely started grading.

:duel:

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:43 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

almost done, for the record.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:48 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ok, initial pass done, just gotta do an equalizing pass and we'll be good to go.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

The anticipation is palpable.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

template

grades

rankings

Last edited by razorborne on Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:51 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

tough round. anyway feel free to fight me.

Round 9

we're nearing the home stretch, so let's move on to our penultimate pair, Boros! make a draft archetype, a rare that plays into it, a uncommon that encourages it, and then a common and a common that support it. feel free to include any design notes you think are relevant.

you have one week from when this post was made.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:56 pm 

razorborne wrote:
as a general note, it's possible I've misunderstood your intent here, and the MDFC interactions are supposed to work like they do. that said, if MDFCs weren't supposed to be as central as I thought they were I'd probably grade the theme itself lower so I suspect the overall grade would be in the same region even if some of the numbers get shifted around. I wasn't entirely sure how to handle this because it feels like a really cool idea that got pretty derailed by a single minor rules mistake, which is really unfortunate and I wish I could grade around it but it doesn't feel fair to.

So, I think you did misread my intent on the cards. I spent a long time getting the cards' wordings right to do what I want them to do. Where each card puts a land card on the battlefield (to just ramp and/or trigger landfall) or allows you to play a card is intentional. That said, I don't understand why Grakmaw does not work as intended, which is that in the late game, you can start playing the fronts of the lands you have dropped in the graveyard. It's not supposed to allow you to immediately play the land you sacrificed; I think the play pattern would be way too smooth and easy then. What am I missing?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:11 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
razorborne wrote:
this is one of those cards where my immediate reaction is "yeah ok but that literally already exists" and then I look it up and it doesn't? I don't understand how this isn't already a card, so yeah, great work finding that gap.

This is my design philosophy in a nutshell.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:15 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Eh ... guess I have to remind myself that while I believe fight/bite spells are overcosted (mostly because other colors can get conditional removal that doesnt require their own creatures to use), there are still precedents to be aware of.

Also with Plaguewolf, I originally gave it Trample, but figured that would not create as interesting of tension as Menace; basically I wanted the opponent to choose between blocking it and possibly losing two creatures or taking 2 damage unblocked. That said, what would be a good cost and body for this?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:29 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

neru wrote:
razorborne wrote:
as a general note, it's possible I've misunderstood your intent here, and the MDFC interactions are supposed to work like they do. that said, if MDFCs weren't supposed to be as central as I thought they were I'd probably grade the theme itself lower so I suspect the overall grade would be in the same region even if some of the numbers get shifted around. I wasn't entirely sure how to handle this because it feels like a really cool idea that got pretty derailed by a single minor rules mistake, which is really unfortunate and I wish I could grade around it but it doesn't feel fair to.

So, I think you did misread my intent on the cards. I spent a long time getting the cards' wordings right to do what I want them to do. Where each card puts a land card on the battlefield (to just ramp and/or trigger landfall) or allows you to play a card is intentional. That said, I don't understand why Grakmaw does not work as intended, which is that in the late game, you can start playing the fronts of the lands you have dropped in the graveyard. It's not supposed to allow you to immediately play the land you sacrificed; I think the play pattern would be way too smooth and easy then. What am I missing?

ah, ok, I did misunderstand. I was worried about that. my assumption was that the "exile three lands" part was meant to take advantage of the MDFC lands that have wound up in your graveyard by being played as spells (like, say, if I'd cast vastwood fortification for a counter) which doesn't work because they don't count as lands while they're in your graveyard. that's the rules situation I was concerned about. it does still seem like an odd condition for a deck around MDFCs, since those replace lands so a deck with a lot of them is likely to have fewer normal lands to exile in the first place, and will likely be preferentially sacrificing the ones that aren't lands in the graveyard anyway in order to utilize your other recursion. getting three actual lands into the graveyard in that sort of deck seems difficult. that said, if all of that was your intent then I think the best course of action would be for me to go through the submission again with that in mind (probably tomorrow) and regrade, if that's alright with you.

PS: on the other recursion ability, my point wasn't that it doesn't work, just that I think it's a bit counterintuitive to move something into a zone where you're choosing something to recur and then not be able to recur the thing you just put there. there's iterations of it throughout Magic's history, so it's not a huge deal, just a slightly awkward interaction. in retrospect I could've definitely made that point clearer.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Also with Plaguewolf, I originally gave it Trample, but figured that would not create as interesting of tension as Menace; basically I wanted the opponent to choose between blocking it and possibly losing two creatures or taking 2 damage unblocked. That said, what would be a good cost and body for this?

I'm not sure the body's wrong, I'd just have it just be a "becomes blocked" trigger so it's not also such a powerful blocker. if you did that you could probably even make it a 3/3.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:37 pm 

razorborne wrote:
neru wrote:
razorborne wrote:

ah, ok, I did misunderstand. I was worried about that. my assumption was that the "exile three lands" part was meant to take advantage of the MDFC lands that have wound up in your graveyard by being played as spells (like, say, if I'd cast vastwood fortification for a counter) which doesn't work because they don't count as lands while they're in your graveyard. that's the rules situation I was concerned about. it does still seem like an odd condition for a deck around MDFCs, since those replace lands so a deck with a lot of them is likely to have fewer normal lands to exile in the first place, and will likely be preferentially sacrificing the ones that aren't lands in the graveyard anyway in order to utilize your other recursion. getting three actual lands into the graveyard in that sort of deck seems difficult. that said, if all of that was your intent then I think the best course of action would be for me to go through the submission again with that in mind (probably tomorrow) and regrade, if that's alright with you.

PS: on the other recursion ability, my point wasn't that it doesn't work, just that I think it's a bit counterintuitive to move something into a zone where you're choosing something to recur and then not be able to recur the thing you just put there. there's iterations of it throughout Magic's history, so it's not a huge deal, just a slightly awkward interaction. in retrospect I could've definitely made that point clearer.

Ah, yeah, it is definitely supposed to be difficult to recur Grakmaw. I was trying to balance an immortal threat that scales with the length of the game and recurs your other threats, since my goal is a strong but beatable draft rare, not another Lochmere Serpent. I had also kept in mind that almost all the mill in ZNR only hits opponents.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:56 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
razorborne wrote:
tough round. anyway feel free to fight me.

YEah, I pretty much figured I'd get the result I did. If you still wanna fight I can, but my heart won't be in it.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:14 am 
YMtC Champ '12

razorborne wrote:
Landscape
is it fun?: I have... a lot of concerns with this mechanic. for starters, there's the rules issue: if Snapping Kudzu blocks goblin piker, does the piker become a forest before it dies to the damage? I'm not sure there's an intuitive answer to that.

Depends on how intuitive we're talking. Game-wise, it's simple: the damage turns a creature into a land before state based actions are checked. It's a quality of the damage. (There's always a chance I'm wrong about this, but obviously I don't believe I am.) Player-comprehension-wise, sure, there's a learning curve, but once you learn that transformation always take place before the game looks for fully damaged creatures, players should be fine.

razorborne wrote:
there's also the problem that it's basically just deathtouch with a significant drawback

Is it, though? Deathtouch is worse against indestructible creatures and creatures with death triggers. That's not the smallest piece of pie for comparison.

razorborne wrote:
as always I really appreciate that you're taking big swings and doing interesting stuff (genuinely. I mean that, I think it's great and very much in the spirit of the contest.)

This is really what I'm after anyway. :D

razorborne wrote:
Muckflinger
is it common?: it feels really overcosted, though: ambush viper costs 2, and this is worse in most ways. it can redirect to another creature to save itself, but it's just a 2/2 for 4 so that's not wildly relevant. the main use would be to counter an opponent's evasion, which is situational. I wish it was more likely I wouldn't want to just target itself.

This started off as a rendition of Lurking Deadeye and family and I based a lot of the balancing off of that. It felt to me too useful to give it too much p/t. You can use the card as Ambush Viper, or you can use it with a creature likely to survive combat and get blocked, or you can use it with a pinger... and so on. Maybe it could be a 3/2, but I think the use cases are a lot wider depending on what else exists in the format.

razorborne wrote:
Snapping Kudzu
this comes with a pretty strong one, but in exchange its deathtouch is much worse. that said it's still neverwinter dryad but without an associated cost, so probably still too strong. I'd add to the activated ability.

I'm not sure why I didn't consider adding a cost to the ability. I changed the casting cost a few times. I think it makes sense to tack a cost onto the ramp; it is a mana jump, after all. I wouldn't even mind .

razorborne wrote:
Boghemoth
is it properly balanced?: using colossal dreadmaw as a comparison, it's probably overcosted. without extra work, you can get a trampler at P/T=cmc, and if your opponent stumbles on lands this can be smaller. sure, it can be bigger, too, but that's what's supposed to make it exciting. I feel like this could've been .

Probably. Not sure why I got scared to cost it less.

razorborne wrote:
Grade: 4/5

3 of that was the name, yes?

razorborne wrote:
Sprawling Reclamation

is it interesting?: I think it's very cute.

I'm just gonna design rares for the remainder of this contest.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:24 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Depends on how intuitive we're talking. Game-wise, it's simple: the damage turns a creature into a land before state based actions are checked. It's a quality of the damage. (There's always a chance I'm wrong about this, but obviously I don't believe I am.) Player-comprehension-wise, sure, there's a learning curve, but once you learn that transformation always take place before the game looks for fully damaged creatures, players should be fine.
sure, once you learn how the mechanic works, you'll probably know how the mechanic works. it's a question of how hard it is to get there.

Is it, though? Deathtouch is worse against indestructible creatures and creatures with death triggers. That's not the smallest piece of pie for comparison.
there are very few indestructible creatures in most limited formats, and depending on the death trigger, getting a free land could easily be better. more broadly, the point of keywords is to be exciting, and it's hard to get excited about edge-case utility on a pretty hefty drawback.

This started off as a rendition of Lurking Deadeye and family and I based a lot of the balancing off of that. It felt to me too useful to give it too much p/t. You can use the card as Ambush Viper, or you can use it with a creature likely to survive combat and get blocked, or you can use it with a pinger... and so on. Maybe it could be a 3/2, but I think the use cases are a lot wider depending on what else exists in the format.
I'll admit I didn't consider the pinger interaction (not that pingers are the most relevant in limited anyway) but I do want to point out that Lurking Deadeye, your own example, is a 4/2 for the same cost and it doesn't ramp your opponent.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:29 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Yeah the aura kept pushing in a lot of different directions power-wise between making it worthwhile as a Bone Splinter variant while still making the aura reasonable. The closest comparison is probably Madcap Skills, but I based it more on Spectral Flight, figuring menace is marginally weaker on that type of card. And yeah, it was originally a creature, I try to get some type-diversity in my submissions.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:58 am 

Boros time. Looking forward to seeing what the last round is going to be

Canuck Goblin - :1::r:
Creature - Goblin (C)
Buddy (Whenever this creature attacks, create a 1/1 white Human creature token that's tapped and attacking. Exile that token at end of combat.)
2/1

War Cry - :6::w:
Instant (C)
This spell costs :1: less to cast for each creature you control.
Creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.

Friendly Giant - :2::r::w:
Creature - Giant (U)
Trample
Buddy (Whenever this creature attacks, create a 1/1 white Human creature token that's tapped and attacking. Exile that token at end of combat.)
~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of creatures you control.
*/*

Lammasu Ambassador - :4::r::w:
Creature - Lammasu (R)
Flying, haste
Whenever a non-Lammasu creature enters the battlefield under your control, create a 2/2 red and white Lammasu creature token with flying and haste. If it's your declare attackers step, that token enters the battlefield tapped and attacking.
2/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:38 am 

I wholeheartedly agree with my grades. New designs soon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:11 am 

Common #1:

Selfless Soldier -
Creature - Human Soldier | C
Whenever Selfless Soldier deals combat damage to a player, if it doesn't have a +1/+1 counter on it, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Martyr — Sacrifice Selfless Soldier: Another target creature you control gains indestructible until end of turn. Activate only if Selfless Soldier has a +1/+1 counter on it.
1/1

Common #2:

Expendable Goblin -
Creature - Goblin | C
At end of combat, if an opponent lost 4 or more life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Expendable Goblin.
Martyr — Sacrifice Expendable Goblin: Expendable Goblin deals 2 damage to any target. Activate only if Expendable Goblin has a +1/+1 counter on it.
0/1

Uncommon #3:

Rewards for Altruism -
Enchantment | U
Whenever you sacrifice a creature, if it had a +1/+1 counter on it, you may put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
: Discard a card, then draw a card.

Rare #4:

Peaceful Rebellion -
Sorcery | R
Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Put a +1/+1 counter on it and untap it. That creature gains haste until end of turn.
If you control four or more creatures, you may sacrifice all creatures you control. When you do, destroy all creatures.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next