It is currently Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:32 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Introduction

Welcome to Pro-Tour YMTC! PTYMTC is the premier contest in these forums, consisting of seven preliminary rounds, a wild-card round, and finally the top eight facing off in glorious single elimination. This year, we're taking a tour of the Magic multiverse. And what better place to start such a tour than Dominaria, the plane that began it all?

The Blurb

For nearly every set from Alpha to Scourge (that's 1994 until 2003!), Dominaria was setting of Magic: the Gathering. True, we intruded on places like Rath, Mercadia, and even Rabiah, but even those places had deep ties to Dominaria itself, with only poor Ulgrotha alone and unexplained. After its epic opening run, Dominaria took a three-year hiatus before returning in the Time Spiral Block in 2006... which proved to be something of a last hurrah for the venerable plane until it finally re-emerged with its self-titled outing in 2018, a term of absence even longer than its former dominion.

But, long pause or no, Magic has not forgotten its origins and the world that began it, with more outings planned for the near future. Your task this round is to pay honor to Magic's origins and Make a card that could have been printed in Alpha. You may use modern wording (in fact, I feel like our judges would very much appreciate it if you did) but the card's effect and rules tech should fit with what was available at the game's beginning.

The Prompt

Create a card that could have been printed in Alpha. The ideal entry should feel like it would seamlessly belong in Alpha, in terms of its design and flavor elements, while remaining a card that would be interesting and playable today.

The deadline for submission is 1 week from now.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:56 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Who are the judges?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:07 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

The Illustrious (give or take) Judges are

0) Myself
1) TPmanW
2) Mown
3) Flopfoot
4) JV

Of the lot, three will be needed to process a round.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:19 am 

Labyrinth Minotaur -
Creature - Minotaur
You can't cast ~ unless you control a wall.
When you do not control a wall, sacrifice ~
5/4

Last edited by Confused on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:57 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Sanctity of Nature
Enchantment
All lands are indestructible and can't be enchanted.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:41 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

Dense Foliage
Sorcery
Target creature you control can damage the opponent directly when it attacks, even if it is blocked, if you have more forests than its power.
The thick forest of Llanowar can hide all manner of beasts.
---
Dense Foliage
Sorcery
Choose target creature you control with power less than or equal to the number of forests you control. This turn, you may have that creature assign it's combat damage as though it weren't blocked.
The thick forest of Llanowar can hide all manner of beasts.

(the name is technically taken now, but it wouldn't have been back then!)

I tried to focus on Alpha's penchant for resonant and flavorful spells. Simple, traditional fantasy stuff - like big monsters hiding in the forest. The spell ends up a little quirky compared to modern stuff (the forest limitation) in order better serve the flavor. Plus, I kinda think it would have been neat for players when they started coming out with creatures that have this text naturally - "woah, Thorn Elemental has permanent Dense Foliage every turn!"

Last edited by Temjen on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:42 am 

Can you provide some examples of modern day cards that could have been in Alpha?
I'm struggling a little bit to match the two.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:54 am 

Spoiler

There's an earth, wind (air), water, and fire elemental in Alpha. I'd go with these theme and add another elemental (that doesn't have a card to this day!)

Thunder Elemental -
Creature - Elemental
Trample, haste
When Thunder Elemental enters the battlefield, other creatures you control can't be blocked by creatures without flying this turn.
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Thunder Elemental.
3/1

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:54 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
what are the rules on past champions competing?

:duel:

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:

So far as I know there's never been an injunction against it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:15 pm 

Allergy
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a green creature or a Forest enters the battlefield, Allergy deals 1 damage to that permament's controller, and you gain 1 life.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:21 pm 

Resistance | :1::r:
Enchantment {U}

Auras have "At the beginning of your upkeep, this permanent deals 1 damage to you."

Tyrants often provoke their own downfall.

Ye Olde Alpha Printing

Mad Rat Dead

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:33 pm 

Friendly Fire
Instant
Cast this spell only during your declare attackers step.
Tap X target untapped creatures an opponent controls. Creatures tapped in this way deal damage equal to their power to either their controller or another creature controlled by that creature's controller chosen by the tapped creature's controller. A creature can only be chosen to receive damage from one other creature in this way.

....Yeah, this seems Alpha wordy enough for a simple enough concept.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 am 

Ok I have looked through Alpha so I know how to judge this. Some good cards in there. I’m not sure why scryfall hides Crusade but not Sacrifice

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:54 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
razorborne wrote:

I considered joining last year, but ultimately elected not to.
Regardless, I can give you a shadow rank.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:32 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Albatross
Creature — Bird (C)
Flying
When Albatross dies, destroy target enchantment.
“Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung.”
—Samuel Coleridge, “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner”

1/2

The idea is that the color-pie was not really set in stone yet, and Blue was able to do a whole lot more than the other colors. So I just made a simple top-down design of the central narrative motif of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, which was so oft-quoted in Alpha.

Last edited by ParadOxymoron on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:40 pm 

Heath Witches 2
Summon Witches / Creature - Human Warlock (R)
After combat on your turn, your opponent loses one life for each blocking creature that was not destroyed, and you gain one life for each attacking creature destroyed.
“When the hurly-burly’s done/ When the battle’s lost and won.” - William Shakespeare, “Macbeth”
3/3

I was sent here by Mown from Riptide Lab. I miss the real world flavour text from Alpha, so started from there. 3/3 for the three witches. The combat ability is drawn from their famous quote. Casting cost might be a bit optimistic for Alpha, but stops it from being completely unplayable today.

Edit: thanks to Tekkahedron for reminding me to put the card type.

Last edited by Humpty_Dumpty on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:20 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I think the defining features of alpha cards were top-down designs and simple mechanics. like, sure, there's the occasional illusionary mask, but a lot of the creatures in the set were vanilla, and most things only had a couple lines of text. (and the ones that didn't were mainly things like the hive, which wound up being simple in modern wording anyway.) by and large, the cards were well-worn fantasy tropes translated in a fairly straightforward way into the relatively limited rules space of the time, so in that vein:

Stalwart Companions-
Creature-Human Soldier
Banding, vigilance
Creatures banded with Stalwart Companions have vigilance.
To the east of Benalia lie the Red Iron Mountains, terrible peaks beyond which lurk great and powerful adversaries. Constant vigilance is required to secure the nation's borders.
2/3

Alpha wording

back in high school I used to have a banding deck, and I wanted vigilance so badly I wound up including serra's blessing so I could mess with both attacking and blocking. the interaction is maybe a little cute for alpha, but I don't think excessively so, and all the technology existed. the hardest part was writing Alpha-style flavor text, which seems to come in two flavors: real-world quotes and worldbuilding info dumps. I went with the latter 'cause it seemed more interesting. if I was designing this with modern balance sensibilities it'd probably be a 2/2 for , but alpha was not a set known for its strong creatures and I wasn't gonna strictly-better pearled unicorn.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:20 pm 

Heath Witches 2
After combat on your turn, your opponent loses one life for each blocking creature that was not destroyed, and you gain one life for each attacking creature destroyed.

“When the hurly-burly’s done/ When the battle’s lost and won.” - William Shakespeare, “Macbeth”

I was sent here by Mown from Riptide Lab. I miss the real world flavour text from Alpha, so started from there. 3/3 for the three witches. The combat ability is drawn from their famous quote. Casting cost might be a bit optimistic for Alpha, but stops it from being completely unplayable today.

Don't forget your card type

Mad Rat Dead

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:51 pm 

Nature's Avatar -
Creature - Avatar [R]
~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of blue or black permanents your opponents control.
*/*

"That winter, the fireplace was never without a crackling blaze in its belly. The boiled wine we drank was undoubtedly middling and cheap, but she said, with a smile, "I've never had wine this good before." And though I didn't say anything, I felt the same way."

Like this post